Advice on Pre-Optometry majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeeTheSun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had a question on Pre-Optometry majors. I have found that Optometry schools don’t require students to have certain majors, it just seems that finishing pre-requisites are the main concern. What I would like to know is if being a business major would put me at a disadvantage or if it’s really like it seems, and as long as pre-requisites are finished I should be fine. Optometry is what I am really interested in, so if I really needed to I would change from my current business major to another.Also any major recommendations would be nice if you suggest I change. Thanks for your time. ^_^

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I had a question on Pre-Optometry majors. I have found that Optometry schools don’t require students to have certain majors, it just seems that finishing pre-requisites are the main concern. What I would like to know is if being a business major would put me at a disadvantage or if it’s really like it seems, and as long as pre-requisites are finished I should be fine. Optometry is what I am really interested in, so if I really needed to I would change from my current business major to another.Also any major recommendations would be nice if you suggest I change. Thanks for your time. ^_^

Not at all. I majored in business and was accepted to all of the schools I interviewed at. You still have to do well in the sciences and on the OAT, of course. Some things that will help is joining a pre-optometry club, volunteering, and shadowing.

Good luck to you

Your performance in necessary courses, not your choice of major, will determine your competitiveness as an applicant. The only edge a science-major stands to have is being able to show he or she has taken upper-level courses beyond the pre-requisites of a college's O.D. program; if you wish, you can take these classes, yourself (with departmental permission, perhaps).

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally True: your major doesn't really matter when it comes to admission

Also Totally True: Bio based major will help you out a little on the OAT and other prereqs.

I feel like if I did nothing in college but take the prereq classes, I might be a little less prepared when it came to some sections of the OAT. The Bio section is notorious for being really random, but if you have a well-rounded view of the natural sciences via a lot of science classes, it's cake. BUT if you're really great at studying a book (which I am not) and you absorb information instead of cramming it and forgetting it 2 months later (which I do), then you might be fine just taking prereq classes.

Also, if you're a business major, check with your school, it's possible that all the OD prereqs might earn you a minor or maybe even a second major with a few extra courses.

I found the OAT Destroyer to be indispensable in preparing for the O.A.T.'s biology section. As I recall, the book reviewed ~350 questions in the subject (a number of them, repetitious), and, having drilled the facts into myself, I wasn't too surprised by the bio. questions on the test.

Well I was actually a psychology major and got in. At the same time I had to work twice as hard because none of my science/optometry pre-reqs were required for my major ofcourse... I've seen music majors get in to medical school as well-- just depends on how your OATs and Science grades stack up against the high-level competition out there.

My advice: Study hard; start studying VERY early on for the OAT. Also, get some good shadowing under your belt with an optometrist who will also be writing you that oh so nice letter of recommendation!!

It also helps if they know someone at the school your applying too!

Explore ALL your options when applying! Good Luck! : )

Thanks for all of the advice. Looks like i will be sticking with my major in business, just gonna do the best i can in all of my pre-req classes.