advice on prof. recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qbert

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently 2 1/2 years out of undergrad, and I never really got to know my science profs well because I was a very average to sometimes below average student in the science classes. So now, soon to be completing a master's in biotech, I'm readying to make a run at applying to dental school for fall '03. Problem is, I need to get letters of recommendation, but I really have no one to turn to. Undergrad is pretty far in the past, and as I've stated before I never got to know any of the profs. The profs in my biotech program are all part-time professors; you know, people who work at a full-time job and teach one night a week. I'm afraid they might not carry much weight w/ admissions. So, does anyone have ideas, suggestions, or advice? I've worked very hard to get myself in position to be a competitive applicant, and I would hate to get shot down because I didn't have any good letters of rec.

Members don't see this ad.

Qbert,

I sense your pain! Suggestions:

1) Get yourself a dentist to shadow/observe (if you haven't already done so), they are usually PUMPED to write letters (in my experience) = ONE LETTER DOWN with this route

2) About your Biotech Profs, doesn't matter if they're part-time, full-time, One-day, or One-week professors, in my opinion, as long as they have PhDs and they know you well (or if they are willing to write you a positive letter without knowing you that well), they are GREAT sources!! = AN ADDITIONAL LETTER DOWN OR POSSIBILY TWO with this route

Remember, 98% of dental schools require 3 letters of recommendation and usually the majority requires at least two (2) from science professors. Bottom line, I would get to know your Biotech Profs quick (if you haven't already done so) and ask them bluntly if they are willing to write you a "POSITIVE" letter of recommendation. Usually, they will ask you for further information about yourself (resume, transcripts, DAT scores, personal statement, or maybe even $200!!) to provide them a better sense of who you are! Forget about your undergraduate profs., especially with you being out of that ring so long and having "not so good grades" in those courses, those profs are no good to you.

Good luck, if you would like, you can pay me $200,000,000.00 (I do accept credit cards or payment installment options) and I can pretend to be your Professor in Biochemistry and I will write you a superb letter that make you walk on water! Please be advised to use this option as your last resort, my schedule is pretty hectic as I browse SDN every ten minutes!!!

:cool: