advice on requirements of LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKingofClay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know ideally schools want that 2 Science, 1 non-sci LORs format.

Here is my current situation -- I'll be sure to attain LORs that are very strong and they know me very well from my from undergrad Neurobio/Cellbio research PI, postgrad MD/MAS Clinical Researcher PI, my current shadowing MD.

Then i know I will get a good LOR from my undergrad professor who taught astrophysics.

And finally probably an average LOR from Writing/English prof.

I know everyone stresses to not risk having a bad LOR, and i dont want to ask profs i know so-so and risk that. I just wont have that exact "2sci+1non-sci". So i am a concerned and i would like to hear input regarding this. Personally, my gut instincts is to submit the LORs i know are strong/very good and depending on your guys' advice; and I still don't know if i should submit my English prof LOR. need your helpful advice guys!.

many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if your research did not include a course, then you would only be submitting one science + 3 extras. that is bad.

Most schools aren't overly strict about LOR requirements. I had 1 science from a course, 1 from research PI, 1 non-science and a volunteer letter. Out of ~25 schools only 1 gave me an issue with not having 2 science LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools aren't overly strict about LOR requirements. I had 1 science from a course, 1 from research PI, 1 non-science and a volunteer letter. Out of ~25 schools only 1 gave me an issue with not having 2 science LORs.

thanks thats comforting, what did the one school that had an issue say?

thanks thats comforting, what did the one school that had an issue say?
They let me use the research letter in lieu of the second science letter when I called them up and told them I got credit for it. Maybe that's why other schools let it pass as well, but somehow I doubt it. I don't think most schools are too strict to care about these minor things. It's usually some administrative assistant that has to go through literally thousands of letters to mark you complete. I think as long as it looks like you have what looks like their general LOR requirements, they won't notice if your letter is slightly different.

By the way the school was NYMC.