sGPA Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeehaw10

Reaction score
Do medical schools have a cutoff for sGPAs? For example, they require a 3.5 sGPA and if you do not have that you do not get admission? Or is it for GPA in general.

Members don't see this ad.

Do medical schools have a cutoff for sGPAs? For example, they require a 3.5 sGPA and if you do not have that you do not get admission? Or is it for GPA in general.
Most schools do not have "cut offs."
They will consider your stats in the context of the rest of the application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When applying I used MSAR to compare the lowest GPA and sGPA of accepted/matriculated students to estimate where I stood which helped! Some schools have on their admissions websites their min gpas, others screen beforehand and either don’t tell you or R pre-ii. MSAR also tells you if schools screen for specific stats. Ofc not all

Reactions: 1 users
I strongly recommend that you look at MSAR to see what the 10th %ile is for accepted students in MCAT, sGPA and cGPA. Don't apply to those schools unless you have something outstanding in your app or can bring something important to add to the school's diversity or you're a strong fit to their mission.

Increase the floor to the 25th %ile if you're aiming for the Really Top Schools.

And pay very careful attention to the %'s of IIs and accepts for instate vs out-of-state for public schools.

Reactions: 4 users