Advice on Rite Aid in southern Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KansasPharmGirl

pharmgirl
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been offered a job with Rite Aid in southern Oregon. I'm strongly considering the offer. Does anyone know what it's like to work as a pharmacist in southern Oregon? I know it's smaller towns, which is what I'm looking for. And how is the quality of life working for Rite Aid?
 
I wouldn't take a job with Rite Aid. No one seems to know what's going to happen with s respect to closing stores since Walgreens Now owns them.
 
Which area? I believe there's a lot of meth in some areas. That said, it's beautiful country. Ashford is a great town! Sorry; I have no advice on Rite Aid in particular. I'd look and see if the area already has many Walgreens maybe based on the advice above (Walgreens isn't as heavy in some areas of the northwest as they weren't traditionally in that corner of the country).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been looking to go out there as well. Southern Oregon is beautiful, lots of stuff to do outdoors (rivers, lakes, coast etc). Grants pass, Medford, and Ashland all have their pros and cons. As far as working for RiteAid, I'm not sure. I interviewed with them recently and it seems that there might be some consolidation later on, but I wouldn't expect Wags to close down everything. Why else would they spend billions just to close down all the stores?
 
Living in Southern Oregon is like what I would imagine Twin Peaks would be like minus the supernatural murders but plus the meth and general alcoholism from lack of lumber work. It is not as liberal as Portland, but it really is a nice part of the country to live in. If random supernatural i.e. unexplainable murders are your thing, consider Spokane (people just "disappear") or The Dalles (uncaught serial killer) instead.

RiteAid and Walgreens are tough companies to work for, but in the communities that I can think of and including Ashland (college town) and Klamath Falls, the country life makes up for the work.
 
I would say at least $70/hour is fair to live in southern Oregon (typical pharmacist annual income will be taxed at a higher marginal rate for state income tax in Oregon compared to California, and "no one" wants to live in southern Oregon) and like filling lots of controlled substances (~ 15% of all scripts).