Advice on schedule for Fall+DAT studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed undergrad and have been completing the rest of my pre-reqs doing a post-bacc. I only have a few left but have yet to take the DAT, I want to start studying for it and hopefully have it completed by next Spring. For the Fall I am registered for Biochemistry and Microbiology, I also work part-time. I am worried this might be too much to balance with DAT studying. I will need to study very hard for it because I need a great DAT score. Should I drop Microbiology and take another time? I am actually retaking it because I am displeased with my current grade and want to show admissions I can get an A in the course. Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Our situations are incredibly similar! First off, when will you be taking the DAT? I am also taking an upper-level chem class and Mirco in the fall and plan to study during that time too. I'll be taking the DAT at the end of January just before spring classes start. I think if you have a solid DAT study plan and stick to it, you'll be fine. Just know you're going to dedicate any and all free time to studying. Also, taking those classes together and studying for the DAT will look more impressive than just taking Mirco solo, which wouldn't really speak to your ability to handle a science heavy course load.

As for the DAT, I'd start feeling out the material and developing your plan now. That's what I'm doing and I know it's super early, but if you're going to have two difficult classes on your plate, you'll need a structured plan. Otherwise, you'll end up frazzled and overwhelmed.

I completed undergrad and have been completing the rest of my pre-reqs doing a post-bacc. I only have a few left but have yet to take the DAT, I want to start studying for it and hopefully have it completed by next Spring. For the Fall I am registered for Biochemistry and Microbiology, I also work part-time. I am worried this might be too much to balance with DAT studying. I will need to study very hard for it because I need a great DAT score. Should I drop Microbiology and take another time? I am actually retaking it because I am displeased with my current grade and want to show admissions I can get an A in the course. Thanks for any advice

I don't think it's realistic to take two upper division science classes and have a job and study for the DAT. Is it possible to study January/February and take it in March instead? If you really want to show your strength in Microbio then take it! If you're on the fence about it or just feel like you have to take it, you don't have to. But your DAT is very important and not something to just attempt to fit into an already busy schedule. Either drop Microbio or do the DAT in the spring. You don't need it until June anyway.

I studied 7 weeks for my DAT over the summer (no summer school but a Kaplan class) and worked 8ish hours a week and even that was cutting it close. Of course it's different for everyone but that's my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Fall I am registered for Biochemistry and Microbiology, I also work part-time.

Oops, I didn't see that part before. I have to agree with tigerteeth here; working on top of everything else will probably be too much.

Unless you are 100% motivated and are extremely efficient with your time management skills, it's way too much to handle imo.

Thanks guys, I can't even really prepare to start studying for the DAT right now because I am taking a summer class which takes up a lot of my time. So should I just take these two classes and worry about the DAT afterward? Or take one and start studying for it? Keep in mind I will also be in school for the Spring semester. Also, I did actually complete Microbiology I am just unsatisfied with my grade and this is an easy way to boost my Sci GPA (I am very confident I will get a good grade this time around). I am also not to confident I can efficiently study in just 1 month (winter break). My Chem needs a lot of work.

It's manageable because that's kind of what I did. I studied January, February, and March. Took my DAT on last day of March. I was taking two upper level elective, prokaryotic biology (upper level microbio class), physics, and entomology, while working at a lab. I ended up getting 4.0 that semester and got 20/20/23 AA/TS/PAT, which is pretty decent with my schedule. But I did not have a social life for those three months and gave up on working out.

I basically went to classes, went to the library while grabbing food on the way, then watched chad's videos while eating. Studied DATs everyday other than the day before an exam for classes. So I basically crammed for every exam for every class except prokaryotic bio, which I just studied an hr a day then mass review the day before test. The library was my second home..staying there until 2am every day. In which I got about 8-10 hrs of studying a day.

This is definitely do-able if you are dedicated! Just keep strong and don't slack off. But if you have the time, I would do it separately and focus on DAT a little more. I only did this to see if I can take the stress, thinking that dental school would be as rigorous as those three months, perhaps even more.

Good luck mate