advice on shadowing please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millionDsmile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I want to shadow a couple of dentists this summer so I can see what it's like to be one. What I want to know is, what's the best way to go about finding dentists to shadow? (besides asking my family dentist) Is it better to call up dentists and ask them over the phone? Or is it better to show up to their offices in person to ask them? I'm a bit nervous about how to ask them because I heard some dentists are unwelcoming when it comes to shadowing.

Members don't see this ad.

Right, some dentists are total jerks about it, what I did is, I'd call their office and ask their receptionist if the dentist was the kind to let people shadow, then, if they weren't I'd drop it, but if they were, then I'd go in and ask the dentist in person. That way I didn't have to get rejected in person. Some dentists really hate to be shadowed. I don't know why though, they had to do it too.

usually when you call an office, just ask them(either ask to speak to the dentist or the office manager) if they are willing to take you in to shadow their dentist. if they are too busy, they'll say "no", and you should just move on and ask another office. If they say yes, then you can go in and check out the scene and make sure you ask the dentist some dental questions. You'll know after you meet everyone in the office if that is the type of environment you'd like to further shadow in.

Remember, you're just shadowing. They're not paying you, so it doesn't bother them as much if they just have an interested pre-dental student around the office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, I just called the nearest dentist and asked if I could shadow. I got a resounding yes. Guess I just got lucky
shrug.gif

Heh, I just called the nearest dentist and asked if I could shadow. I got a resounding yes. Guess I just got lucky
shrug.gif

I did what this guy did and got some takers. I picked the cool guy that talked about the patients after they left to me because I got to learn a LOT that way.
Go Sabres! -- sorry, superstition