Advice on shelf tests - DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jade123*

Reaction score
Looking for insight on studying for shelf tests. I have done scores of questions on UWorld and my results are not what I want. I have also watched videos for Peds and Surgery. How should I tie together all this information? Should I bring all the questions for one part body part/ disease together? Am I am missing a strategy or angle? I have read that the "clinical mindset" is important - how do I get that? Should I spend more time on practice tests? ( I got 87/125 of Peds)

Members don't see this ad.

Cheesy Dorian anki deck is all you need, and add in some questions (I think comquest goes well with COMATs, Uworld I would do only for USMLE step 2 prep) +/- Online Med Ed

Reactions: 1 user
If they are the comats there’s nothing you can do except grab a bottle of lube.

Also, per your 87/125 comment, the exams aren’t out of a possible 125. FYI. Might change how you look at them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
COMQUEST and make Review sheet.

OME is good for getting a "clinical mindset" but Dr. Williams keeps things very superficial. So its good for "whats the best next step" type of questions.

Thats enough to get atleast 100/125 range for your score. To get 110-120 range you need better test taking strategy and more Q banks (True learn, UW)

Reactions: 1 users
COMQUEST and make Review sheet.

OME is good for getting a "clinical mindset" but Dr. Williams keeps things very superficial. So its good for "whats the best next step" type of questions.

Thats enough to get atleast 100/125 range for your score. To get 110-120 range you need better test taking strategy and more Q banks (True learn, UW)
Second this about the qbanks. if u wanna honor multiple banks is the way to go

Can confirm I did basically nothing but OME for COMATs with like 1hr reviewing the usual osteopathic stuff I always forget no matter how many times I "learned" them. Throw in like maybe 75-100 practice Qs and I scored decently.

I just did uworld for most. For psych read first aid psych shelf book. For peds I think I did peds comquest. Fam med was just a shyt show. Surg I did uworld and pestanas.
besides OB and omm got 130+ On all of them. Would have only done uworld on all if I could go back (plus pestana it’s pure gold) Plus doesn’t step two uworld have like 5k questions now? Hell I’d just focus on that third year it was hard enough going thru the 3k when I did it with rotations.

i read OMe but that’s more for rotational knowledge than the comats I believe