Advice on Spring Term Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nietzsche

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently in my second year of college and I need some advice on something. My schedule so far looks like: Gen Chem 2 -4 creds + Lab Gen Physics 1 - 4 creds + Lab Calculus 1 - 4 creds Intro to Lit. [Not English Composition, a more advanced class] - 3 creds Should I take Basic French [3 Creds, (3 hrs a week, 1 hr of lab I think)] on top of all these classes, or should I just stick with the 4 mentioned above? Thank you. P.S. For some reason I can't skip lines anymore and the text is all bunched up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I am currently in my second year of college and I need some advice on something. My schedule so far looks like: Gen Chem 2 -4 creds + Lab Gen Physics 1 - 4 creds + Lab Calculus 1 - 4 creds Intro to Lit. [Not English Composition, a more advanced class] - 3 creds Should I take Basic French [3 Creds, (3 hrs a week, 1 hr of lab I think)] on top of all these classes, or should I just stick with the 4 mentioned above? Thank you.

Depends. Do you have time to study? Do you have a job on the side too? Can you resist the temptation of partying on the weekend? Because with those classes, all that has to be out the window.

Believe me. I took 20 credits this past fall and only 4 credits were non science. Did great. 5 A's and 2 B's. Semester before took 19 credits, 8 weren't science.

I lived through it. Did pretty well. But I didn't have to hold down a job. I still volunteered and did some EC stuff, though. I also went out once or twice after a long week of nothing but exams. You have to be VERY VERY good at managing your time.

It really does totally depend on what you're comfortable handling. The first four classes are all heavy on out-of-class work and will take time. The foreign lang. course that I took also had heavy piles of homework papers to do. Someone who is a Nietzsche fan can probably handle anything, though.;)

I took a VERY similar schedule last semester - different Eng, different language and level, and a programming class thrown in. I did handle it with time to work in the lab 2 afternoons a week and one for volunteering and still some time to slack off here and there, but it took continuous dedication and determination to always stay on top of things. It turned out fine, but long before the end of the term, I swore that I'd never subject myself to such a schedule again. All it would have taken was one week of illness to throw the entire semester out of whack.

So, the first 4 classes are a reasonable amount to take. Add the 5th if you feel that it's important enough, but be prepared to never slide behind even a little. It helps a lot of they are classes in which you have a high interest.