Advice on switching advisors please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke587

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i met with my pre-med advisor yesterday and she had some crap things to say to me. I originally went in to see about switching some courses around and what not, but instead it turned into a 1 hour you suck lecture...

I currently have a 3.52 GPA, which i didn't think was to terrible. Keep in mind I'm also only a sophomore and still have alot of credits to bring it up. Anyways she sat and told me that i literally have no chance of medical school, and tried to get me to sign up for business courses for this semester. She also said I would not be able to handle studying for the MCAT or handle the upcoming Orgo chem sequence.
I know pre-med advisors can be crap, and i basically come here for advice. Only thing is our pre-med advisors write recommendations to our medical school at my university, i'm at a state university.
I want to switch advisors, but am not sure what to do since i could potentially lose a LOR.
What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

What a bitch. Could be testing the thickness of your skin, but I don't think that's really her place to do that.

If it continues, I would switch advisors if that is available, it doesn't sound like this one will right you a LOR anyways. Your new advisor could write you a LOR.

If it's possible, try to get a different advisor. If not, which may very well be the case, talk to her again and explain your determination and reasoning for continuing to take the prerequisite courses. Hopefully you can get her on your side.