Advice on taking Physiology or Biochemistry for undergrad?

teiami

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a senior high school student in Ontario. What are some of your experiences majoring in Physiology/Biochemistry, and which of the two, generally, has a lighter workload (is easier)? I've heard biochem is really important, so if I just majored in physio do ya'll think it'd cover enough biochem for the MCAT? I'm also thinking about minoring in Philosophy, or maybe History. Additionally, which of the two would more likely expose me to more job opportunities if I arrive to the conclusion that I won't be going to med school right after my undergrad?

extra info i just really felt like including:
I've read through a lot of the previous threads and from what I've picked up the general consensus is that what matters most is you pick what you are interested in, and what you know you'll do good at. I'm definitely not the greatest with life sciences, but I'm genuinely interested in the mechanisms responsible for sustaining life, so I've decided I'd take it anyway even if I'd have to work harder to get a high GPA. I'm just super nervous about dedicating my next four years and tens of thousands of dollars on something I've only spent a few days researching. (I've been slacking, unfortunately, and I now realize I really need to pull myself together and just decide on something so that I can apply to a university).

Members don't see this ad.

majoring in Physiology/Biochemistry, and which of the two, generally, has a lighter workload (is easier)?
You can check specific major plans and see what courses it includes. I would not think that physiology major would differ much from regular biology major. I would think biochemistry would be a little harder if it has more chemistry courses.
do ya'll think it'd cover enough biochem for the MCAT?
I think for most one biochemistry course was enough for the MCAT purposes. Some colleges offer Biochem I and II. I would think that is enough.
Additionally, which of the two would more likely expose me to more job opportunities
Without graduate degree, I don't see either of them offering great chances for job opportunities.

For med school any will work, just do well.

An Ontario student currently in 3rd year of undergrad here!
Here is the Canadian forum link if you would like school and program specific advice: Premed 101 Forums
Or feel free to PM me!

I started out in medical sciences, then switched to biochemistry and then switched again to a major in psychology with a minor in science.
If I could do it all over again I would have just gone into psychology which interests me the most and allows me to pursue the backup careers I would enjoy. Don't feel pressured to go into science especially if you feel like you aren't the best at it (grades are very important, especially in Ontario). You always have the opportunity to take science courses as electives or as a minor if you'd prefer history or philosophy.

I've taken physiology and find it easier than biochemistry, but that could be different for you.

If it is possible, I'd recommend starting University as undeclared. That way you can take a variety of science and arts courses that interest you to see what you actually like in university and are able to get really good grades in. Then after first year you can choose what major you would like to pursue for sure. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As a philosophy/psych major with several history major friends, I can say that neither philos nor history (and, well, not psych either) will specifically open a lot of job opportunities beyond those that just require a college degree in anything. I'd say my philosophy major contributed a great deal ot my overall quality of life though.

At my school Biochem and "Exercise Physiology" are worlds apart. As was stated earlier, you don't really need to go beyond biochem I for the MCAT. As a biochem major though, you have to take Calc II (most failed class at my school) so you can take calc-based physics (harder and no more useful than trig based for the MCAT). Finally, you have to take biochem II which serves no purpose for you on the MCAT.

That being said, Physiology will leave out a good few requirements for med school/MCAT. EX: don't have to take orgo at my school (maybe survey of orgo only, but still won't meet requirements). In short, far easier.

Finally, if you are interested in art history/ philosophy, I'd say major in it. You can do it, I'm a double major in a hard science and a liberal studies discipline. It will look better to ADCOMS (lets face it, that's why we're all on this site in the first place ;) ), you can get more in depth in the field and with that comes more EC opportunities (looks good on CV and not bad if you genuinely like it)