Advice on using a moving company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Penguin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about renting a truck or a van to move, but this is my first time having to move all my stuff like mattresses, giant desk, and multiple bookshelves, etc. In this way, I can save my time and energy from having to wait till the last minute and trying to get my furniture (and other things) set up during the week of the orientation. Plus, I like to keep the furniture stuff I have been using for years.

I do need to think about the financial aspect of my moving plan. I am looking for any advice on using a (residential) moving or rental company across the US. Does anyone have any advice or warning on using a moving or truck rental company like U-haul, etc? I am looking for a cheap, efficient moving/truck rental company that has no hidden fees and keeps well-maintained vehicles. I don't want my rental truck to break down in the middle of a dessert or elsewhere.

Thanks,
CP

Members don't see this ad.

Check out this thread from the General Residency Forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=191716

I have heard bad, bad things about U-Haul. There are multiple sites on the internet dedicated to the horrors people have experienced using that company.

Cold Penguin said:
I am thinking about renting a truck or a van to move, but this is my first time having to move all my stuff like mattresses, giant desk, and multiple bookshelves, etc. In this way, I can save my time and energy from having to wait till the last minute and trying to get my furniture (and other things) set up during the week of the orientation. Plus, I like to keep the furniture stuff I have been using for years.

I do need to think about the financial aspect of my moving plan. I am looking for any advice on using a (residential) moving or rental company across the US. Does anyone have any advice or warning on using a moving or truck rental company like U-haul, etc? I am looking for a cheap, efficient moving/truck rental company that has no hidden fees and keeps well-maintained vehicles. I don't want my rental truck to break down in the middle of a dessert or elsewhere.

Thanks,
CP

Thanks for the informative link. There is more research I need to do than I thought. Wow

Andy15430 said:
Check out this thread from the General Residency Forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=191716

I have heard bad, bad things about U-Haul. There are multiple sites on the internet dedicated to the horrors people have experienced using that company.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using Allied, I've heard really good thiings about them.

That link in the residency forum is very helpful, as well as the link to www.movingscam.com. I moved last week using ABF, and spent $882 (plus about $160 for packing supplies and ppl to help me load and unload), as opposed to $2400 for the lowest full-service movers estimate. It's certainly alot of work in preparation, but the "You-pack They-drive" worked out much better with my limited budget, and my stuff arrived fully intact.

Good luck.

ABF only does moves of 500 miles plus [mine is like 450... gr] so i was thinking of going the truck route -- im going to have some larger furniture items and dont know anyone in the area - does anyone know of companies where you can hire people to just unload you?

Check out the American Moving and Storage Association website (AMSA). I think it is www.moving.com or something like that. It was very helpful on many levels for our move and we were able to get five or more referrals from them.

debvz said:
That link in the residency forum is very helpful, as well as the link to www.movingscam.com. I moved last week using ABF, and spent $882 (plus about $160 for packing supplies and ppl to help me load and unload), as opposed to $2400 for the lowest full-service movers estimate. It's certainly alot of work in preparation, but the "You-pack They-drive" worked out much better with my limited budget, and my stuff arrived fully intact.

Good luck.

How long did it take for you to receive your stuff...oh and how far did you travel?

MadameLULU said:
How long did it take for you to receive your stuff...oh and how far did you travel?

Shreveport, LA to Louisville, KY - 720 miles. For my trip, they estimated 2-3 business days, not including the day they picked it up from my place. Mine got picked up Tues, and delivered Fri morning at my new place. Your stuff is scanned at each stop and you can track where it is online while its on the road. You get 48 hours on each end to load/unload, not including weekends. I happened to move over the Memorial Day holiday weekend, so I had 5 days to load it (and Fri to Monday to unload it, but it only took me a couple hours to do that).