Advice on what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teethmichigan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last year and have been working as a dental assistant. I applied this cycle and luckily got 3 interviews pre-dec and none post-dec so far out of the 15 schools I applied too. I have gotten two rejections, on two waitlists and the other school I have not heard anything back yet regarding my status for the schools I interviewed at. Hopefully I hear something back from the other schools coming up.

I applied late this cycle according to what I read on SDN, I was waiting on my DAT score to be sent to schools. The schools should of received it around 9/12. My DAT score is AA 19 TS 20 PAT 20 (QR 18, RC 18, BIO 18, GC 20, OC 23). SciGPA 3.31 OverallGPA 3.37

I know I may be jumping the gun but if I don't get accepted this cycle, would you suggest just reapplying the next cycle? Picking up some science classes that I did not take during my undergrad (pharmacology, histology) and continue to work as a dental assistant? Look into a masters program? Just apply very early?

I just want to have a semi-plan on what to do because everything takes time to plan out. Any advice on what I should do or something to possible look into would appreciated.

Thank You, Colleen

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congrats on getting three interviews...that's definitely a sign that you're on the right track. When did you submit your application? If you are still in the running at your state school then I'd suggest you call them to make sure they have all your materials and to let them know you still remain highly interested...I wouldn't give up for this year, still too early. In the event it didn't work out and you need a back-up plan, I think it would be beneficial to take classes as opposed to just working. Dental schools like to see that you continue to apply yourself in the classroom if you were not admitted. Mix up some easier science classes with other classes you know you'll do we'll in to bring up your GPA. Above all, get the application in the first week it comes out - not many people really understand the advantages you have by doing that. Let me know if you have any other question and good luck to you!

Write a sincere letter of intent to all 3 schools you interviewed at and the other ones you really hope to get into. You don't have to retake your DATs anymore, but I think it would be wise to take 3 or 4 upper level science classes to bring up your GPA a little more. I'd cut down on the hours as a DA just so you can study more. If it doesn't work out this cycle, at least you're set for the next cycle. I believe others have said that if you applied a year before, all your info actually is transferred to the following cycle if you need to reapply. Hope it all works out for you.