Advice on which road to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterjumper14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been lurking and reading up on lots past posts so hopefully I won't be asking any repeat questions. I'm going into my senior year of college at the University of Colorado, Boulder (double major in English/poli sci). I'm trying to decide which path to take. I have a 3.91 cum GPA. Basically the same major vs. overall GPA, I've gotten 2 B's, one in an Eng. class, one in a PSCI class. I would love to do a formal post bacc but my SAT and ACT scores leave a lot to be desired. SAT: 1690 on the 2400 scale (530 math, 560 reading-*shudder*). Of course my writing was the highest of the scores and no one really cares about that! :p ACT composite: 25 (26 math, 25 english, 25 reading, 23 science).

I was thinking of taking the GRE this summer to apply in the fall but I unexpectedly had to have hip surgery. So I went to register for early fall (sept 11) and apparently the GRE has changed as of Aug 1. I don't believe there are any prep materials available for the new test and from what the website says it's changing a lot. Since I'm a humanities major I'd like to be able to prep for the math so I don't feel like I can take it now/take it cold. Not to mention that scores will not be available until mid-november anyway!

Is it possible to outweigh SAT scores with my GPA? I mean my 23 science on the ACT was the 74th percentile and I was in the 75th percentile in reading and I went on to get a 3.91 GPA in English so I feel like my scores are not entirely indicative.

I can always continue at my good old alma mater and take the prereqs but I'd love a structured post-bacc. Of course I have looked into BM, Scripps and Goucher but they seem like no-gos with my scores. I've also looked at Bennington, UVA, Mills, and Mount Holyoke.

Phew, that was long! Any advice?

P.S. I'm a CO resident so getting into a prestigious post bacc would be great. I've volunteered at a hospital for 4 months so far (had to take a break for surgery), I have been volunteering in a therapeutic riding program for people with a variety of special needs, as well as a variety of other non-medical volunteer work. I am set up to shadow an anesthesiologist as soon as I can stand for long periods of time :D I'm doing an honors thesis this last year (CU doesn't grant honors unless you write and defend a thesis). It's in English and while it will ultimately depend on my thesis defense my GPA has qualified me for summa cum laude so I'm hopeful :) Not that that's super impressive for the world of science but it can't hurt, right?

Thanks in advance for the advice (my premed advisor said that my low SAT scores "shouldn't keep you from getting into a great program." Yeah, right. So, needless to say I went elsewhere for help:laugh:)

Members don't see this ad.

all you can do is apply and see what happens. It's possible they'll overlook your test scores to a certain degree but those are pretty low. Your gpa will help, though.

Hello all,
I've been lurking and reading up on lots past posts so hopefully I won't be asking any repeat questions. I'm going into my senior year of college at the University of Colorado, Boulder (double major in English/poli sci). I'm trying to decide which path to take. I have a 3.91 cum GPA. Basically the same major vs. overall GPA, I've gotten 2 B's, one in an Eng. class, one in a PSCI class. I would love to do a formal post bacc but my SAT and ACT scores leave a lot to be desired. SAT: 1690 on the 2400 scale (530 math, 560 reading-*shudder*). Of course my writing was the highest of the scores and no one really cares about that! :p ACT composite: 25 (26 math, 25 english, 25 reading, 23 science).

I was thinking of taking the GRE this summer to apply in the fall but I unexpectedly had to have hip surgery. So I went to register for early fall (sept 11) and apparently the GRE has changed as of Aug 1. I don't believe there are any prep materials available for the new test and from what the website says it's changing a lot. Since I'm a humanities major I'd like to be able to prep for the math so I don't feel like I can take it now/take it cold. Not to mention that scores will not be available until mid-november anyway!

Is it possible to outweigh SAT scores with my GPA? I mean my 23 science on the ACT was the 74th percentile and I was in the 75th percentile in reading and I went on to get a 3.91 GPA in English so I feel like my scores are not entirely indicative.

I can always continue at my good old alma mater and take the prereqs but I'd love a structured post-bacc. Of course I have looked into BM, Scripps and Goucher but they seem like no-gos with my scores. I've also looked at Bennington, UVA, Mills, and Mount Holyoke.

Phew, that was long! Any advice?

P.S. I'm a CO resident so getting into a prestigious post bacc would be great. I've volunteered at a hospital for 4 months so far (had to take a break for surgery), I have been volunteering in a therapeutic riding program for people with a variety of special needs, as well as a variety of other non-medical volunteer work. I am set up to shadow an anesthesiologist as soon as I can stand for long periods of time :D I'm doing an honors thesis this last year (CU doesn't grant honors unless you write and defend a thesis). It's in English and while it will ultimately depend on my thesis defense my GPA has qualified me for summa cum laude so I'm hopeful :) Not that that's super impressive for the world of science but it can't hurt, right?

Thanks in advance for the advice (my premed advisor said that my low SAT scores "shouldn't keep you from getting into a great program." Yeah, right. So, needless to say I went elsewhere for help:laugh:)

The GRE changes August 1st 2011, so you're fine. I had the same scare at first. Although, I would recommend that you start studying pretty hard if you're taking it this soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GRE changes August 1st 2011, so you're fine. I had the same scare at first. Although, I would recommend that you start studying pretty hard if you're taking it this soon.

You're right!! I checked the website on Aug. 1st and apparently all I read was "Aug 1" and not the 2011 part. :rolleyes:

For those people familiar with the postbacc admissions process- Would I be better served applying early (I will have everything in line by Oct. 1) and noting that GRE scores are on the way or waiting until I have the scores to send them (late oct/nov-ish)?

A few programs have said numbers less than 600 on either component are "far less competitive." Does that mean a 600 on both parts would be totally undesirable with my GPA? Are we talking about realistically needing a 1400?

Thanks so, so much for the replies!

Last edited:
I think nov/dec is fine, best to have the scores.

You're right!! I checked the website on Aug. 1st and apparently all I read was "Aug 1" and not the 2011 part. :rolleyes:

For those people familiar with the postbacc admissions process- Would I be better served applying early (I will have everything in line by Oct. 1) and noting that GRE scores are on the way or waiting until I have the scores to send them (late oct/nov-ish)?

A few programs have said numbers less than 600 on either component are "far less competitive." Does that mean a 600 on both parts would be totally undesirable with my GPA? Are we talking about realistically needing a 1400?

Thanks so, so much for the replies!

From the one's I've spoken with who have rolling admissions, the big rush tends to come during and right after winter break, so November is fine I think. The people at HES said that you can apply really late...i.e. late Spring.