advice please, Heading into M2, what should I focus on? LOR? Step 1? Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamer1994

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a really tough 1st year. I ended up failing 1 course and thus will have a fail on my record. :( In the meantime, while I was studying and barely passing classes my classmates are creating projects, being SIG leaders etc.. I have some really amazing classmates and I honestly don't see how they do it. I plan on specializing, but am currently b/t anesthesia and psych just to give you an idea as far as competitive wise. I do think my study skills have improved a lot, but not sure how important it is to have activities on my resume and risks grades slipping. I currently have an empty resume for 1st year and am getting anxiety that when it comes time, I may not get the residency I want. How important are these outside activities? I've looked @ other forums and haven't found a clear cut answer. I'm at a mid tier MD school.

Any advise is welcome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your first priority should be to steer clear from red flags (i.e. course failures) from this point. Failing 1 course in MS1 is far more forgivable than failing Step or MS3 clerkship. Having a relatively "clean" academic record should be your top priority.

Psych and Anesthesia are both moderately competitive specialities. During your pre-clinical years, try to shadow other specialities which you may not get exposure to during MS3 (like PM&R) and narrow down your speciality choice. All specialities look for commitment, which comes in the form of research, acting internship/ clinical elective performance, and LoRs. Once you have narrowed down your field of choice, try to get involved in one research project to build connections. Start with a case-report or jump into an existing retrospective chart review project. If you can, arrange a meeting with the PD and ask them what they look for in applicants. To round off your CV, pick up 1-2 extracurricular activities max. This can be related to your hobbies and doesn't have to be academic. Psych may care more about community involvement that anesthesia.

Reactions: 1 user
I would try to pick maybe 1 or 2 activities/cubs, but I don't think it is a deal breaker. All MS1 club activities were on lockdown. We were supposed to be able to do more this year but with the surge, it's back on lockdown. I would hope PDs will recognize this when it is time to apply. If anything, join 1 club because most likely, they aren't doing much anyway. I'd focus more on passing your classes and boards more than anything.

Members don't see this ad :)