Advice please, many roads to Rome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DragonSlave

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my first post on SDN and I am hoping I can get some of the fantastic advice I've read applied to me!

I'm 27, 2.62 cGPA, graduated with engineering degree in 2007. No passion for the work, and my path was originally medicine but I strayed along the way.
After re-evaluating my life, and wondering many times about what might've been, my goal is to become a surgeon (MD) and aim for starting a program in Fall 2013 to give myself enough time to save money, and get organized.

Why the 2.62? My chosen major was a stupid choice, and one I had no experience in. To add to that, I was irresponsible, immature and squandered my opportunities. I gave myself a poor foundation in my major and it hurt me the whole time. I was arrogant and afraid of failure.

I took one bio course my first year in college, and got a C in the course, and an A in the lab section. I got an F in chemistry (also my first year) because I was planning to drop the class, but missed the date and after that there was no way to fix it. The college wouldn't let me drop it either. I took Calc 1-3 with a B, C and C, and Physics mechanics, E&M, and Thermal/Quantum with a D, C, and C.

Prior planning prevents poor performance is my new motto.

I have learned much in my time away from school, and know the things I have to do differently to succeed. I know I can get the grades I apply myself. I know I have a lot of things to fix, and I am looking for advice on what path to take to get there. My initial idea was to get a second undergrad degree in biology to take the prereq bio, and chem courses, and possibly re-take any of the calc/phys I didn't get a B in. From there, see how my app looks, and if necessary do an SMP. I'm hoping to do all this in 2-3 years.

In the meantime, I'll be starting my ECs and MCAT prep which I know I will have to rock (30+ at least).

Would a post-bacc be a better decision? Speaking with a med school admissions advisor, he suggested a masters program, but I have not found one that would allow me to get the med school prereqs in while also satisfying the MS requirements. I have also read on this forum that grad GPA is not nearly as important as ugrad which is why I was looking for another ugrad degree.

Any advice, harsh as it may be, is welcome. My goal is a US MD school. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
This is my first post on SDN and I am hoping I can get some of the fantastic advice I've read applied to me!

I'm 27, 2.62 cGPA, graduated with engineering degree in 2007. No passion for the work, and my path was originally medicine but I strayed along the way.
After re-evaluating my life, and wondering many times about what might've been, my goal is to become a surgeon (MD) and aim for starting a program in Fall 2013 to give myself enough time to save money, and get organized.

Why the 2.62? My chosen major was a stupid choice, and one I had no experience in. To add to that, I was irresponsible, immature and squandered my opportunities. I gave myself a poor foundation in my major and it hurt me the whole time. I was arrogant and afraid of failure.

I took one bio course my first year in college, and got a C in the course, and an A in the lab section. I got an F in chemistry (also my first year) because I was planning to drop the class, but missed the date and after that there was no way to fix it. The college wouldn't let me drop it either. I took Calc 1-3 with a B, C and C, and Physics mechanics, E&M, and Thermal/Quantum with a D, C, and C.

Prior planning prevents poor performance is my new motto.

I have learned much in my time away from school, and know the things I have to do differently to succeed. I know I can get the grades I apply myself. I know I have a lot of things to fix, and I am looking for advice on what path to take to get there. My initial idea was to get a second undergrad degree in biology to take the prereq bio, and chem courses, and possibly re-take any of the calc/phys I didn't get a B in. From there, see how my app looks, and if necessary do an SMP. I'm hoping to do all this in 2-3 years.

In the meantime, I'll be starting my ECs and MCAT prep which I know I will have to rock (30+ at least).

Would a post-bacc be a better decision? Speaking with a med school admissions advisor, he suggested a masters program, but I have not found one that would allow me to get the med school prereqs in while also satisfying the MS requirements. I have also read on this forum that grad GPA is not nearly as important as ugrad which is why I was looking for another ugrad degree.

Any advice, harsh as it may be, is welcome. My goal is a US MD school. Thanks!
Your "initial idea" sounds fine to me, provided you get enough A grades to get your overall undergrad cGPA over a 3.0 (which is a common cutoff for many schools, and a common entry requirement for SMPs). If you keep your focus, this will take less than half the total credits you've already earned again. Plan on Statistics, Biochem, and some upper-level Bio as well, keeping an eye on the prerequisite oddities of any school to which you might eventually aspire to apply (eg, behavioral sciences for some).
 
Thanks Catalystik! Do you think a full 2nd BS is better than doing a DIY post-bacc at my state university? Do you think it would be a good idea to take the med school prereqs DIY followed by an SMP before applying maybe? I have about 145 hours behind my current GPA, so it will take a lot of time and courses to move it very much.
 
Becoming a candidate for a second bachelors is the better idea, as you'd gain registration priority for the coursework you need, qualify for (cheap) health insurance through the school (maybe), and have the potential to be eligible for loans.

After 70 credits of straight As, your cGPA would be 3.07. Any coursework beyond that can only help, with the potential at 120 credits of having as high as a 3.25, though you would not be obligated to complete a second degree.

With a steep consistent upward grade trend and a high MCAT score, it's possible you could get into an MD school without the SMP. If your GPA wanders a bit and/or your MCAT is more average for acceptees, then an SMP remains a good plan.