Advice PLEASE Masters or Risk it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlayaHata

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I need some advice.
Here is my position.
I applied to med school for this past year and did not get in or interviewed, my MCAT was low, I have taken it again and got a better score 26. I have a 3.47sci and 3.6overall gpa.
I have been accepted to Chicago med's AP program, where if I get a gpa of 3.0 or above in the one year program I will be trasfered into the med school and given credit for the classes that I took (so basically 5 year MD program at 35K a year $175K total) this program starts on July 29.
Now I have spoken to a doctor on the admissions committee at another medical school. After speaking to this doctor for an hour and a half I felt as though they liked my application and I was given some advice on how to improve the application. I was told that I WILL have a 100% chance at an interview with the school. I told the doctor about the AP program and they said they would NOT do it and that they would risk applying again with my current numbers. I guess the schools like people who dont give up and show interest in a particular school (which this school happens to be my number 1 choice) about 30K a year for 4 years =120K and a much better reputation than cms.
So my decision is tough I dont know whether to take the doctors advice and not go to CMS this year, and risk applying again with an interview, but we all know that an interview does not mean an acceptance even though it gets you much closer to acceptance. I'm not sure why the admissions committe doc said to turn down cms.
What would you do?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi PH,
Out of curiosity, what is CMS's AP program? Is it some sort of early admissions program for students they liked but chose not to accept?

Thanks!

PlayaHata:
YOu could do the AP program at CMS and still apply to other med schools. Doing well in the AP program will enhance your application at any school.
I guess I am a skeptic, but the thing with a 100% interview is hard for me to believe. Until someone does something, they can say what they want to you.
You have to evaluate what will objectively make you a better candidate. I had a good undergrad GPA but MCAT of 26. I applied and got NOTHING! I did BU masters program, and did very well in it, and it helped my application and me as an applicant like you would not believe.
So, while the $$$ is hard not to worry about, just do what it takes to get you in the direction of your goals. It might take a little bit of time, but that is what life is for.
good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If they guarantee an acceptance to this medical school from the AP program, I would do it. There is no guarantee that if you do not do this program and reapply/retake MCAT or whatever that you will gain an acceptance. So, if like you say by attending this specific program they *guarantee* a spot into next year's incoming class and they give you credit for the classes taken, shoot that is sweet. Yes, it will take you five years to graduate but it is a sure thing.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by qweewq11:
•Hi PH,
Out of curiosity, what is CMS's AP program? Is it some sort of early admissions program for students they liked but chose not to accept?

Thanks!•••••CMS AP is a Master degree in Applied Physiology. A portion of the people in the program gets automatically accepted to CMS.

The 100% interview shot is because a friend of the family is in a very strong position at a hospital that is affiliated with the school, so the interview is gonna happen.

Do you like CMS? If you do, I would go for the AP program. If you reapply and try to do the program at the same time, you may not do as well as you wanted. If a 3.0 in the AP program is a guarantee to medical school, concentrate on getting that 3.0. The application process is so random sometimes. Good luck!

Rezul