Need Advice about Anesthesia Tech Job: Is Low Pay Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xoxplease

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am about to graduate with my master's from a postbac program in Massachusetts (far away from home) and I am taking a couple more gap years. I got offered a job as an anesthesia tech in the Boston area, which I am excited about because anesthesia is a field I am interested in yet have absolutely no experience in, but it only pays $21/hour and I would have to stay up here for at least another year. I like Massachusetts a lot, but I do miss family and friends and have older parents that I worry about. I looked it up, and the pay is fairly low for an anesthesia tech. I want to try my best to negotiate salary, but if they say no, should I still take it for experience?
For background, I scribed part-time for 5 months, but that's all I have for direct patient experience. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am about to graduate with my master's from a postbac program in Massachusetts (far away from home) and I am taking a couple more gap years. I got offered a job as an anesthesia tech in the Boston area, which I am excited about because anesthesia is a field I am interested in yet have absolutely no experience in, but it only pays $21/hour and I would have to stay up here for at least another year. I like Massachusetts a lot, but I do miss family and friends and have older parents that I worry about. I looked it up, and the pay is fairly low for an anesthesia tech. I want to try my best to negotiate salary, but if they say no, should I still take it for experience?
For background, I scribed part-time for 5 months, but that's all I have for direct patient experience. Thanks!
Honestly, unless your undergrad is in something relevant to a high paying job I doubt you'll command much more of a salary anywhere else. I'd take it and see if you enjoy the OR or not, it'll help guide your specialty choice if nothing else.