Advice please-returning to DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jim33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this may sound ridiculous but I need some input from others as to my situation. I was accepted to and attended a DO school but due to health reasons had to take a leave of absence at the beginning of the second year. I did pretty good academically (B to B+ in every course except OMM) I am elligible to return when class start in August. Now, here is the problem-I am not happy at this school. I matched here and was highly placed on alternate lists at 3 MD programs all of which I preferred over the DO. I did make the mistake of applying late and taking the August MCAT. Since I am very non-traditional student (45+, had my own business and after my wife's death decided to go to medical school) I knew going in that DO was probably going to be my best shot even though my credentials were very competitive-33 MCAT, 3.92 GPA, interviews at 8 schools. My problem rests with OMM- I don't see the benefit of manipulative medicine especially the cranial portion and at my school A.T. Still is held in iconic status. For those of you who are DO's and DO students please understand that I am not attempting to degrade OMM (please don't drop the napalm) -I just find that it is simply not for me and as far as I am concerned it is time I could spend studying other subjects.
Since the MD programs don't accept transfers from DO school I am seriously thinking about applying very early (as in NOW) again to the MD programs only. I don't mind doing the first year again maybe I will learn neuroscience this time. The financial aspect is not a worry. I don't want to spend the rest of my training being this miserable and know that I would be much happier at another school. I don't know how the admissions people will look at my situation but I have composed a personal statement that explains my position very cogently-my sincere interest in medicine( Why else would I leave my previous career and make the sacrifice of time and effort when I could be on vacation in Alaska ?) and the reasons for my wanting to leave my current position.
If any of you have had any experience ina situation like this please reply - I plan on submitting my new applications over the weekend. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I've not met a DO who uses OMM in practice. I'd say learn it, bear through it, and save yourself a year. Besides, you are already in, so there's no need to go through the pain and suffering of reapplying, nor to risk not getting in.

Now, if it's more than a single class or section that you dislike (e.g. people here on the boards mention disliking their Ob/Gyn rotations, but they get through it in 8 weeks), then that's a different matter. Do you not want to be a DO? Is there something about the school (faculty, lack of perceived opportunities after graduation,) that you don't like?

jim33 said:
I know that this may sound ridiculous but I need some input from others as to my situation. I was accepted to and attended a DO school but due to health reasons had to take a leave of absence at the beginning of the second year. I did pretty good academically (B to B+ in every course except OMM) I am elligible to return when class start in August. Now, here is the problem-I am not happy at this school. I matched here and was highly placed on alternate lists at 3 MD programs all of which I preferred over the DO. I did make the mistake of applying late and taking the August MCAT. Since I am very non-traditional student (45+, had my own business and after my wife's death decided to go to medical school) I knew going in that DO was probably going to be my best shot even though my credentials were very competitive-33 MCAT, 3.92 GPA, interviews at 8 schools. My problem rests with OMM- I don't see the benefit of manipulative medicine escecially the cranial portion and at my school A.T. Still is held in iconic status. For those of you who are DO's and DO students please understand that I am not attempting to degrade OMM (please don't drop the napalm) -I just find that it is simply not for me and as far as I am concerned it is time I could spend studying other subjects.
Since the MD programs don't accept transfers from DO school I am seriously thinking about applying very early (as in NOW) again to the MD programs only. I don't mind doing the first year again maybe I will learn neuroscience this time. The financial aspect is not a worry. I don't want to spend the rest of my training being this miserable and know that I would be much happier at another school. I don't know how the admissions people will look at my situation but I have compose a personal statement that explains my position very cogently-my sincere interest in medicine( Why else would I leave my previous career and make the sacrifice of time and effort when I could be on vacation in Alaska ?) and the reasons for my wanting to leave my current position.
If any of you have had any experience ina situation like this please reply - I plan on submitting my new applications over the weekend. Thanks for your help.

Ok, I'll respond.

You write that, "I don't want to spend the rest of my training being this miserable" ~ this is leading me to the impression that it is just OMM that you do not like. Are you sure its only your hesitation with OMM? I mean...you only have 1 more year of it? Are you going to let OMM, a rather minor addition to your medical education, cause you to reconsider everything? Unless you go to Kansas COM, you'd probably spend a few hours a week learning about it. Suppose now that you are a biology major and don't like microbiology. Is it reasonable to stop being a biology major just because you don't like microbiology?

Is there something else that has led you to not like your school? The curriculum or your accessibilty with the faculty? Because if its just OMM you do not like, then perhaps it might be unreasonable to redo everything.

Now forgive me for writing this following, but I suspect that you are not comfortable with the "DO" initials behind your name and would rather have an "MD" initial.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but perhaps you are also not comfortable with being a minority?

If that is strongly the case, then it might be in your interest to do what you're heart tells you to do an try for an MD program. I realize some people don't want to be the minority, and to be honest I find that to be understandable. I myself wasn't entirely comfortable with the idea of being a DO at first, but I adapted and moved on with life ~ for some folks that idea doesn't sit well in their head and I got to respect that.

So Jim, you do what your heart tells you to do. My serious advice to you is to stay the course, but I'm not you ~ so do what you must.

Best of wishes and God speed.

C&C

Members don't see this ad :)
if you want a chance at getting in, you'd have to answer these questions very, very well.

if i was so dissatisfied with my do education, what makes me think i will not be dissatisfied with an md education? md education is very similar to an od education. even in an allo school, there will most likely be classes and rotations that you do not like. are you going to quit and go somewhere else everytime this happens?

how dedicated am i to medicine if i quit med school just because of ONE class? after all, you are a non-trad. you already seem "wishy-washy" (to use a phrase from the presidential elections). dropping med school voluntarily isn't helping your appearance to adcomms that you are determined to become a doctor.

i agree with the other posts. i'd stick it out. it seems you'd stand a slim chance at readmission to another school.

naru said:
if you want a chance at getting in, you'd have to answer these questions very, very well.

if i was so dissatisfied with my do education, what makes me think i will not be dissatisfied with an md education? md education is very similar to an od education. even in an allo school, there will most likely be classes and rotations that you do not like. are you going to quit and go somewhere else everytime this happens?

how dedicated am i to medicine if i quit med school just because of ONE class? after all, you are a non-trad. you already seem "wishy-washy" (to use a phrase from the presidential elections). dropping med school voluntarily isn't helping your appearance to adcomms that you are determined to become a doctor.

i agree with the other posts. i'd stick it out. it seems you'd stand a slim chance at readmission to another school.

Naru,
I agree that I would have to answer the questions very well and I am prepared to do so, but I must take issue with you classifying a non-trad student as "wishy-washy. I don't know how old you are or what has happened in your life but it takes courage and determination to start a new career in mid-life. I had 8 interviews and every one of the interviewers lauded my decision and performance in my prep classes. My first degree was in engineering (Texas A&M-1980) and I got to travel the world and be exposed to many cultures and ways of life. I worked for 20 years as an engineer and then my life changed. I watched my wife of 15 years die a protacted death from cancer. I am as dedicated to medicine as anyone on this board, perhaps more so. I was not dissatisfied with the medical part of my education- it is just that I feel OMM has no place in my future practice and distracts from time I could be studying other subjects. As I mentioned in the original thread I was ranked very highly on 3 MD program alternate lists. After classes started I talked with the admissions directors at these school and they told me the main reason I was not accepted is that the classes were almost full by the time I interviewed-I applied late so let that be a lesson to all. I appreciated your candor but I hardly think that "wishy-washy" applies here. What is at issue is becoming the best physician I can be. Oh, by the way, I didn't drop out of school on my own accord-a drunk driver ran over me placing me in ICU for 3 weeks then 5-6 months of rehab learning to walk again. Persistance pays off everytime. I am now walking 2-4 miles every day.
Best wishes and thanks for you input.

I would think you want to be a physician, period.

Quit...

or complete what you have been given a shot at (and many others wish for). I do not understand your pettiness- akin to the grass is greener... My allopathic education included much holistic and 'integrative' medicine- which I regard mostly as crap- as well as many aspects of the school itself. Yet- not once did I take my slot for granted beyond the gripe level.

You can tailor your residency approach towards an allopathic route- USMLE not Comlex- do away rotations at allopathic university hospitals- and get LOR's from MD's when applying.

Already 45? Not much time left to bargain for frivolous second shots. Suck it up.

First, I don't think that the OP is being petty or unreasonable... evaluating options and pursuing what you really want is a good thing :thumbup:

You might want to consider what specialty/ field of medicine you are interested in. Pursuing primary care (family med, etc.) as a DO is no problem... plenty of reasonable (i.e. not insanely competitive) residency opportunities all over the country. If you are interested in something other than primary care, you might check out what residencies (DO & MD) are available where, what quality they are, and (for MD residencies) how they feel about DO's. I wish that I had known/ thought to do this before I ever applied to medical school.
Most folks here seem to be suggesting that you just suck up the OMM and move on, but there is more OMM than meets the eye, and if your heart is just not in it, it can be a pain in the a@#.
For instance, your board exams are up to 18% OMM, including the COMLEX PE-- a required national practical exam that you will pay $1K to take and the practice version (OSCE) that you will probably take several times at your school; possible OMM requirements during your clinical rotations; and an AOA-approved 1 year rotating internship that is possibly needed to ever practice in one of the 5 states that require it.
I'm not suggesting that you can't suck up or work around all of this, I'm just suggesting that this is some of the info that you should track down and evaluate before you make your decision.

According to the AAMC, there are nine allopathic schools that allow transfer from DO starting in the second year of school, and sixteen that allow transfer from a DO school to MD school starting in the thrid year:

http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/

If you are as miserable as you are, do yourself a favor and try to transfer into an allopathic program.

On the other hand, you only have one more year of pre-clinical time left, and depending on your school, you will have at the most, only one month of OMM during your rotations. That's a strong incentive to suck it up and stick with it, as you are not going to get it anywhere this year, so you will have to defer readmission for one year. Or, you could reenter this year, complete your second year, then apply to the 16 schools that allows transfers. That's probably the best thing time-wise.

Good luck.

I would go back to your original school-- reapplying may very well leave you empty handed at the end of the application cycle. It's only another couple of years, just pass the OM stuff, and then when you're a DO, dump it. I'm not in med school yet, but there's no way in hell I would want to repeat another year, suck it up, try to look on the bright side (you're going to be a doctor) and finish what you started.