Advice please/thanks! Career changer with pre-req/timeline/application questions

Started by MA2MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MA2MD

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 27 year old Pre-PT career changer with a B.A. (3.4 GPA in 2006) & M.A. (3.9 GPA in 2007) in fields unrelated to the health professions. I've worked at Dartmouth College in College Administration for the last 3 years and recently left my job to dedicate myself full-time to observation hours, studying for the GRE, & applying to programs. I'd like to apply now, finish my pre-reqs in the Spring/Summer, and start a DPT program Fall 2012.

Pre-reqs I have:

Elementary Statistics - A
Psych - A (it was my minor, so a lot of psych classes)
(Note: DUAL Credit in HS (2003), transfered to undergrad from another college)
Human Anatomy & Physiology w/ Lab - A (9 credit hrs total)
General Chem 1 (w/ Lab) - A

Question 1 - Will most DPT programs except classes from 10 years ago transferred from one college to another through HS dual credit?

Question 2 - This is weird - my transcripts don't line up - my undergraduate institution transferred in the 9 hrs of A&P w/ lab (which do appear on my transcript from the college they were taken) as Intro to Bio & Lab, Human Anatomy, and Lower Level bio elective! (The college I graduated at wanted to help meet my liberal arts curriculum more easily, not being a science major)
What does this mean for me now? Do I need to retake A&P w/ labs, do I only need Physiology w/ lab and bio 2 (and not bio 1)? How do I explain it and take bio 1/2 and not A&P?

Question 3 - Can I apply to DPT programs now (this month) to start next year, while needing to take the following classes. Also, I'm only about 30 hours into my observation hours; but have a sound academic/work background, compelling essay, and more observation hours scheduled.
Chem 1/2 - Spring/Summer
Bio 1/2 - Spring/Summer
Physics 1/2 - Spring/Summer

Question 4 - Is it possible to take those 6 classes in two semesters?

Question 5 - Where would be the best place for me to take my classes - my options are community college 40 minutes away, a 2 hour move to Boston suburbs to commute to Harvard Extension School, or spending the big dollars on a pre-medical post bacc program (I would(am) apply(ing) to Tufts, UVM, & Northwestern)?

Thanks SO MUCH in advance for the information/reply!
(I've been researching a health field career change for 2 years, and working extenisivley on my options for this plan of attack for about a month, since I decided I was a 100% committed and took the leap!)