waldowaldo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
hey all,

i am a little bit confused as to applying to gas for next years match. do students typically apply to prelim and gas programs? is it possible to just apply to categorical programs so you are set for the next four years and is this routinely done, or is it advisable to apply to four year programs and prelim/advanced programs? it would seem easier to just apply to 4 year programs instead of the hassle of doing prelim at one place and the last 3 years somewhere else. thanks for your help.

waldo

xampower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2004
Status
Most apply to both anesthesia programs and prelim programs. You can apply only to categorical programs but I think it is more wise to apply to programs you are interested in rather than applying based on it they offer categorical or advanced spots. For example, programs like Wake Forest and UNC only have a few advanced positions available each year, however Hopkins and Yale have only a few categorical spots. If you only apply for categorical spots you may only be applying for 4 out of say 25 spots or visa versa depending on the program.

feelin gassy

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
I completely agree with xampower. If you are concerned about where to apply for your prelims, instead of trying to match up cities you may want to consider staying where you are for the additional year or pick a city where there are lots of opportunities so your travel will be easier. Further, when you interview at three year programs a lot of them have arrangements with either the internal medicine program or transitional program and you can set those interviews on the same day. Just a few thoughts

OP
W

waldowaldo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
thanks everyone for your advice..
quick question, do you have to do a seprate ERAS application for prelim vs. categorical positions or do you just do one ERAS application and have them sent to categorical and advance/prelim programs. i know it might sound like a dumb question but i'm just trying to learn how it all works.. thanks

oh i almost forgot, how man recommendation letters are typically needed and must they all be from anesthesiology faculty? thanks again

waldo