Advice Please!

Oluchi

Desperate Atlanta PreMed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have a decision that needs to be made and need ppl's advice...

My boyfriend and I are looking at marriage and are planning it for my 3rd of med school. We're open and could live anywhere! I was accepted to 2 carrib med schools---
School A: a carrib med school that is a 2 hrs flight from my bf, has approved rotations in MD and GA where we and both our families are based, would only be away for just 1 y 3 mo, but is not approved for licensure in all 50 states and lacks the same status as School B

School B: 1st yr in UK, 2nd yr in the islands; I'd be gone all away all 4 years, it doesnt have anyrotations or electives in MD or GA, but is licensed in ALL 50 states. Has a really good reputation-

Even though I'd prefer to practice in MD or GA and my bf and I would most likely live in either of these states, I would like to know that I could practice in any of the US states as well. We are both open people, and w/ the type of work we want to do, we know we could end up ANYWHERE in the states. That being said:
Do I choose School A and know that I just cant practice in some states...?(which might restrict my bf as he's applying to seminary schools in different states)
Or do I choose School B and know that I can prac in all 50 states, but I'd be gone longer?

Members don't see this ad.

Only you know what is more important to you. For me, it would be more important to be with my hubby then to be able to practice everywhere....but thats me.

I also think that it would be a nice thing to be able to practice in all 50 states, so I can see that side, I just wouldn't choose it for 'me'.

Let us know what you decide!
good luck!

I would have to agree with Wifty here. My husband (then boyfriend/fiance) and I did the long distance thing for 4 years during undergrad, and it was HORRIBLE!! I truly cannot imagine trying to do it with the even heavier & more stressful workload that is medical school. But then again, it really depends on your priorities. If you REALLY think that you need to be able to practice in ALL 50 states, and if that is more important to you than your relationship with your SO, then go for the further option. I don't want to discourage you and say that you can't have it all, but I have to tell you that even in undergrad, there were a lot of long distance couples who rarely saw each other & who started school saying they were going to be married soon & ended up broken up. The only thing that made it bearable for me was that I saw him at least once every two months & summers. But who knows, you could be braver than me. Whatever you decide, best of luck!:D

Members don't see this ad :)

My boyfriend and I are looking at marriage and are planning it for my 3rd of med school. We're open and could live anywhere! I was accepted to 2 carrib med schools---
School A: a carrib med school that is a 2 hrs flight from my bf, has approved rotations in MD and GA where we and both our families are based, would only be away for just 1 y 3 mo, but is not approved for licensure in all 50 states and lacks the same status as School B

School B: 1st yr in UK, 2nd yr in the islands; I'd be gone all away all 4 years, it doesnt have anyrotations or electives in MD or GA, but is licensed in ALL 50 states. Has a really good reputation-

Even though I'd prefer to practice in MD or GA and my bf and I would most likely live in either of these states, I would like to know that I could practice in any of the US states as well. We are both open people, and w/ the type of work we want to do, we know we could end up ANYWHERE in the states. That being said:
Do I choose School A and know that I just cant practice in some states...?(which might restrict my bf as he's applying to seminary schools in different states)
Or do I choose School B and know that I can prac in all 50 states, but I'd be gone longer?

Is this your first time applying to medical schools? Is it reasonable given your age, stats, etc, to try and improve your application and reapply? Usually I would say to give up prestige and be near your sig. other. that's what I did but I'm still at a US allopathic school. If you're going to do caribbean, you simply need to be at the best school possible. a significant portion of the students at caribbean schools drop out, don't pass the steps, or don't match. and then you're stuck with a massive amount of private loans with no good way of paying them back.

really not trying to be a downer here, but I would seriously seriously reconsider reapplying if this is your first application cycle.

School B which will end up best in the long run. I believe you both can still meet each other during the breaks and thanks goodness to Skpe and/or many other low cost internet communication tools that you can webcam each other.:)

I tend to agree with pillowhead....not that you can't get a good education at a foreign med school (you can), but it is much harder to match in the US esp. in competitive fields coming from such a school. However, maybe that doesn't bother you b/c you don't care where you match geographically so you might be more flexible in terms of where you do residency.

If you're young and this is your first time outta the gates in the application cycle....consider doing research or some clinical/public health work for a year and applying again, including DO schools. That way you could be at a US med school for all 4 yrs and have less stress come match time! Either way, good luck!