advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needshelpnow

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need some advice on my situation. i graduated college last year from a top undergrad but with a mediocre gpa (3.1) i had a miserable experience with the MCAT the first go around (23) but have taken it again this past April and got a 34. i've taken supplemental classes at a local university in physiology and other advanced bio classes to boost my application and have done well. what do you think are my chances to get into a school...any school? for the past year i had a teaching fellowship and will be doing research this year. thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think u're worrying too much. U're doing better than I am. U're good to go! ;)

thanks...but how will schools look at the lower score? do med schools average your mcat scores, or do they just take the higher one?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah-- you're doing fine. you can't change that undergrad gpa or your first mcat, so don't dwell on it. i'm in a similar situation-- i graduated from UNC with a 3.1 (strong upward trend), i took some post-bacc classes, did fine on the mcat, and i have TONS of clinical and research experience. if i'm okay, you should be too. i'm NOT guaranteeing interviews and acceptances (wish i could), but i think you'll do okay. just make sure you get your apps in early and apply to a broad range of schools.

best of luck!! keep us posted!!

they usually just take the higher one. i haven't heard of any averaging scores, although a few might. the 34 is quite good and shows the schools you have a good grasp of the material.
your gpa is kind of low, but that doesn't mean you won't get in. just make sure you apply to many schools. how is your science gpa? that is probably what's most important. if it's less than 3.1, you might want to consider taking a few additional undergrad science classes to boost it.

thanks to everyone for their advice! my science gpa is about 3.1 as well, i chose a difficult engineering major...but have taken supplemental biology classes and have done well in all of them.

i heard they take your most current mcat score

Question for you and the rest of the forum: How the hell does a person who wants to go to med school and knows that grades are probably the
most vital part of your application let his/her grades slip below, say 3.5? I mean how hard is it to get an 'A' as an undergrad if you just show up to lecture, take notes,
read the book and study your notes from time to time before the tests? Who are these people who pull horrendous sub 3.5 GPAs and then ask what their chances
are? I mean med school admissions is just going to look and ask Why? What's your excuse? Why are your grades so bad when you know we look at grades so
heavily in the admissions process?

You know as well as I know that other than the interviewer, noone in the admissions committee will see you in person... all they have are your numbers and some evaluations. So let's pray with all your might that they don't see your GPA.

Originally posted by monster2
Question for you and the rest of the forum: How the hell does a person who wants to go to med school and knows that grades are probably the
most vital part of your application let his/her grades slip below, say 3.5? I mean how hard is it to get an 'A' as an undergrad if you just show up to lecture, take notes,
read the book and study your notes from time to time before the tests? Who are these people who pull horrendous sub 3.5 GPAs and then ask what their chances
are? I mean med school admissions is just going to look and ask Why? What's your excuse? Why are your grades so bad when you know we look at grades so

You know as well as I know that other than the interviewer, noone in the admissions committee will see you in person... all they have are your numbers and some evaluations. So let's pray with all your might that they don't see your GPA.

troll

Troll on board. Don't pay attention.

You should be fine, with that MCAT score. Be prepared to discuss the discrepancies in your file though. I know for a fact that a higher MCAT can offset the poor GPA, but it may not be so otherwise (schools have inflation etc). so you're in good shape. I can't guarantee you anything (I'm in the process myself), but if I was in your shoes, I'd only worry about justifying that 3.1 with such an awesome MCAT.

Be proud of your MCAT. :)

a little testy are we?

it's not too hard to slip below a 3.5. a 3.0, maybe, but not a 3.5. i suppose it depends on where you go to school though. it was actually very hard to get an a or even an a- at my undergrad.

i'll admit it is a little annoying that there are so many people with low gpa's around here hoping to be accepted when i worked my butt off not to have a low gpa. but hey, everyone has their problems/issues.

Originally posted by lola
but hey, everyone has their problems/issues.

yeah, but I think monster2 has more than most of us ;)

Originally posted by the boy wonder

yeah, but I think monster2 has more than most of us ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I say we call Jerry Springer for that.

At my undergrad, we'd call ourselves lucky if we got above a 3.0 in most science classes. As Lola said, I too had to work hard at keeping my GPA above 3.0. I did it, but it was hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lola
a little testy are we?

it's not too hard to slip below a 3.5. a 3.0, maybe, but not a 3.5. i suppose it depends on where you go to school though. it was actually very hard to get an a or even an a- at my undergrad.

i'll admit it is a little annoying that there are so many people with low gpa's around here hoping to be accepted when i worked my butt off not to have a low gpa. but hey, everyone has their problems/issues.

If that is annoying to you Lola, you should really work on your tolerance. Be happy you don't have to worry about it, don't make others feel like s*** for a circumstance that could have very well been out of their control. Perhaps something else besides *gasp* grades took priority in their life. Someone in this position is certainly no less deserving of an acceptance than you.

yikes! that's why i said everyone has their issues/problems and not everyone can get good grades. geesh. work on your tolerance!

sorry lola, my last post was a bit harsh on second read! Just forever defending my 3.45, I guess:)

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I say we call Jerry Springer for that.

At my undergrad, we'd call ourselves lucky if we got above a 3.0 in most science classes. As Lola said, I too had to work hard at keeping my GPA above 3.0. I did it, but it was hard.

You watch Jerry Springer? Who in the right mind and ethics would watch a trashy show like that. Most certainly not aspiring physicians. But I digress.

As I've said before, there is no reason to get anything lower than an A. Second, nothing is "fine". A 3.1 is NOT fine, it is a RED FLAG. It's time you stop looking for hope and consolation because that will not change your record. An experienced admissions officer would correlate your initial low MCAT and current low GPA as a question of motivation. While you have improved in the MCAT, medical school is a fast-paced endeavor, and there will be NO time to amend any failing. You should consider this if you are fortunate enough to get an interview and hope that you can convince the interviewer that this is not the case.

Look at that, a sensible tip from yours truly... none of those plastic and onionskinned comments of "you'll be fine blah blah blah".

yeah, and i said it's not too hard to slip below a 3.5 :) sorry for responding angrily.
anyway, what i get annoyed at a little is people who have really low gpa's. i don't know why it annoys me, it just does sometimes. i guess i'm just jealous that they were probably having a wilder time than i was in college!

go away monster2!

You watch Jerry Springer? Who in the right mind and ethics would watch a trashy show like that. Most certainly not aspiring physicians. But I digress.

uhhhhh, one doesn't have to WATCH Jerry Springer to KNOW about it. DUHHHH :D

3.1 doesn't look good no matter what spin you put on it. But there is always a chance to improve (and prove) with postbac/masters. MCAT is excellent; schools will most likely disregard the low score since they are so disparate.

monster2....wanna get off that high horse for a little while? ugh....:rolleyes:

I have the empathize b/c I'm in a similar boat as the original poster. My 3.2 undergrad GPA was due to a yearlong illness. I'm telling the adcomms about it and hopefully they'll see my "healthy" grades were excellent. I'm applying to lots of schools so hopefully someone will recognize my abilities. Here's to hoping....

Monster2 k' I'm not agreeing OR disagreeing with you about the GPA thang... but I AM disagreeing with you about Jerry Springer, I have a decent GPA and did well on MCAT etc... but I love that show! it is my FAVORITE show and I'm smart. It is just pure entertainment.... NOT to be taken seriously.... a physician is not someone who is supposed to be 'above all others' or 'looking down on others' we're supposed to work with the community man... it's like watching a movie or anything else... What is intellectual on TV anyvayzzzzz?

Monster2

First of all, don't judge. You don't know anything other than the number 3.1. If that is enough for you to make a decision, god help you (and god really help your patients). Less than 3.5, why not less than 3.8...I mean Harvard's mean is a 3.8, so why set the bar at 3.5, it should be 3.8.
Second, whatever happened to compassion. If you are on this message board, either you want to be a doctor or you are just wasting your time. I hope you are doing the latter, because the compassion is lacking to be the former.
Now about your 3.5, quit pulling numbers out of thin air. There are plenty of schools out there where the avg. matriculation GPA is less than 3.5. Which means there are GPA's way under 3.5, including even the avg student at those universities.
So if someone is looking for advice and their numbers happen to be low, let them get it. That is why they are seeking advice in the first place - their GPA is low. GPA has nothing to do with how good of a doctor one becomes.

X

Didn't we just have this same Jerry Springer discussion in The Lounge? Hmm...

There are all kinds of "reasons" to have a GPA that is less than stellar: How about this one: always wanted to be a doctor, always knew it would take hard work and dedication to be a doctor, but frankly I lost my head as a freshman and shall we say...did a little too much drugs, sex and rock'n roll? Then regained my senses and spent three years after that bringing the ol' gpa back up. (Laying in that crappy bed I made, as my dear departed mother would say) I did, but my gpa isn't what it COULD have been had I been born totally developed and mature and fully bloomed.

Tolerance is really in short supply around here! Surely, monster2, you have f*cked up somewhere along the way and will share that experience with all of us. Reedem thyself! Do tell!

Now, the second question-I never dreamed they would do anything BUT look at the second MCAT!!! I thought I read somewhere that it was like SAT and ACT scores: they take the most recent or the highest score!!! Yikes!!! I really lucked out, once again.

Originally posted by X
Monster2

You are an idiot. I thought I be blunt about that before I start telling you why. Also let me say it again...you are an Idiot.

First of all, don't judge. You don't know anything other than the number 3.1. If that is enough for you to make a decision, god help you (and god really help your patients). Less than 3.5, why not less than 3.8 you dingus...I mean Harvard's mean is a 3.8, so why the hell are you setting the bar at 3.5, it should be 3.8.
Second, what the hell happened to compassion. If you are on this message board, either you want to be a doctor or you are a ***** wasting your time. I hope you are the latter, because you lack the compassion to be the former.
Now about your 3.5, quit pulling numbers out of your ass. There are plenty of schools out there where the avg. matriculation GPA is less than 3.5. Which means there are GPA's way under 3.5, including even the avg student at those universities.
So if someone is looking for advice and their numbers happen to be low, let them get it. That is why they are seeking advice in the first place - their GPA is low. GPA has nothing to do with how good of a doctor one becomes (hell look in the mirror).
Well that's it for now. maybe i will tell you more facts later. Peace.

X

I strongly suggest you watch your language because with that foul vocabulary, you are in no position to question my medical readiness. Where did I imply that GPA had anything to do with becoming a doctor? I'm only reenacting what admission officers would do... view low GPAs as a question to their motivation, resilience and endurance. 3.5 is a generous estimate, but yes, everyone serious into applying to medical schools should aim for 3.8s. Give an oragutan a bag of books and pencils and send it to school and it'll get a 3.1 GPA. I hope you don't have subpar GPA, I might have struck a nerve in there somewhere. Either way, you know I'm telling the truth.

I believe that each school has its own policy about how to handle multiple MCAT scores. While some may look at the most recent set, others claim rather vaguely to "take all scores into consideration." If this is something that concerns you, you should check with the schools you applied to and ask what their particular policy is.

This is my first time here at SDN, recommended to me by a colleague and I just HAD to reply to your post.

To the original poster,

I am a third year medical student at JHU medical school. My GPA was 3.0 to 3.3.

My MCAT Score was a 35, just like yours. I was interviewed at Vandy, Duke, UCLA, to name a few...No, I was not an URM.

Please ignore the posts from those who believe that you need a 4.0/40 MCAT score to get into a medical school because those people may be no more than just numbers. If you have more to show the admissions committee (extra curric, upward GPA trend) then you will be fine.

If you've read other posts from other students who are applying with "near perfect" scores, you will notice that some of the ones with those great stats are getting rejected and have no idea why.

It's quite simple, the admissions committee look for more than just numbers. Credentials don't make a decent human being which you might have noticed from the ignorant posts that some have given. Most of the people who post are in the process of applying, if you want a real source, ask your advisor, ask to talk to the dean of admissions, ask a medical student to mentor you or give you advice. Don't listen to those who are in the process of applying...it is like the blind leading the blind.

My main purpose of posting is to tell you to go ahead and apply, I believe that you have an excellent shot. I believe whole heartedly that you can make it in, I've been in your shoes, and I was accepted and interviewed at several schools.

GOOD LUCK.
AVOID "TROLLS" at all costs, great spirits often encounter harsh opposition from MEDIOCRE minds or rather, SDN is starting to be INFESTED with PRINCETON REVIEW gunners.

:clap:

Originally posted by drKacey

GOOD LUCK.
AVOID "TROLLS" at all costs, great spirits often encounter harsh opposition from MEDIOCRE minds
:clap:

Thank you, drKacey!!!! That was well said! :clap: :love: :clap: :love: :clap: :love:

We are all just a little tense around here already, waitin' on the interview calls!
PS Will you marry me?

I strongly suggest you watch your language because with that foul vocabulary, you are in no position to question my medical readiness. Where did I imply that GPA had anything to do with becoming a doctor? I'm only reenacting what admission officers would do... view low GPAs as a question to their motivation, resilience and endurance. 3.5 is a generous estimate, but yes, everyone serious into applying to medical schools should aim for 3.8s. Give an oragutan a bag of books and pencils and send it to school and it'll get a 3.1 GPA. I hope you don't have subpar GPA, I might have struck a nerve in there somewhere. Either way, you know I'm telling the truth.

Okay let me restate, even the admission officers don't hold that position. They will not view low GPA's as a question of motivation. You are making a hasty generalization. If they did, no one with 3.1 should be getting in and we know that's not true.
You must know some seriously smart orangutan's (but you should learn how to spell that). And that may be true at your institution but last I checked my institution wasn't enrolling oranguatan's. No nerve struck in here brother and either way I am sure your BS'ing. Also if a monkey can get a 3.1, I sure hope you beat the monkey by a lot, otherwise why don't we just save a space for the monkey in med school instead.

X

Originally posted by X

And that may be true at your institution but last I checked my institution wasn't enrolling oranguatan's.

OH MY GOD... :clap: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clap:

I am ROFLMAO!!!

harsh, but true..

im actually retaking any class i got less than a c in now and then i may retake the 1 class i got a c in.

Originally posted by needshelpnow
thanks to everyone for their advice! my science gpa is about 3.1 as well, i chose a difficult engineering major...but have taken supplemental biology classes and have done well in all of them.

by no means am i saying that ad coms really give a hoot what you major in, but i am in the same difficult-engineering boat, and i must say that it is super difficult to keep a 3.8 gpa in engineering, much less taking organic and biochem as "electives". i say that if you can find the time, take some upper level sciences, make good grades, and get the science GPA up. 3.1 sgpa will definately bite you in the hinnie.

My grandmother used to say that if you don't have anything good to say, keep your mouth shut!

Obiviously, the original poster knows that his/her undergrad GPA is not competitive which is why this person looked to this forum for support and encouragement. I'm not objecting to the truth and the truth is that while rare, there are DOCTORS in this country that had undergrad GPA's lower than a 3.1. But did Monster take time to read what his/her post bacc GPA was? I do believe he/she said it was excellent! By the way, has anyone EVER asked their Doctor or any other professional what their undergrad GPA was?

And to Dr.Kacey thanks for the inspiration to add Hopkins to my list!!