1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

advice..please

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by RUpremed, Dec 29, 2008.

1. RUpremed

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    hey guys,

so i'm in a bit of a rut, and i'm unsure as to what i should do to help my situation. I'm a soph. in college, and I received a C in Gen Chem II and Orgo I. Will this greatly affect my chances at getting into Dental school? Up until this point I have around a 3.6 gpa, with a 2.88 science gpa. Also, with regards to my science GPA, is it similar to that of the medical school GPA, that is the BCPM gpa? Thank you all for your advice.

Regards.

2. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you're trying to incite a pointless argument regarding the med school vs. dental school war please spare us.

If you're serious though, then your two "C's" in lower level courses shouldn't hurt you too much. However, too many "C's" in science courses is definitely a red flag. The low science GPA also has the possibility of limiting your chances.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Up until this point, meaning the addition of two C's brings your GPA down even more? I got 2 C's and a C+ in my ochem classes, as well as a C in physics, but my other grades were decent. I finished with a 3.34/3.18. It doesn't kill you, but it makes life harder. Dental school looks at BCP. Math is "other science". I guess it gets calculated into your sGPA? But yea, it's mostly BCP. The prescription is mostly the same for everyone: "Take two DATs and call me in the morning." Well, not really, but it's 2am and I thought that sounded witty. "Just do well in the future" is the best answer you'll get.

4. RUpremed

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    well i have yet to take physics, and orgo II for that matter, so i guess there is still hope? Oh, and by including a math class (statistics) then i would have a 3.08..

I'm also assuming that by taking classes such as genetics and biochem i can substantially boost my gpa (given that i do well, obviously)?

and no drock, i'm not here to start an argument, because such an argument is just petty. Quite frankly I could care less about dental vs. med. "war", as you put it. If someone is pre-med, let him/her strive to be the best doctor possible, and if someone is pre-dental, let him/her strive to be the best dentist possible. In the end we're all here on a mission to improve the well-being of others, aren't we?

Thanks again for the advice guys.

cheers.

#4 RUpremed, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  5. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Biochem and bio classes in general are what saved my science GPA from utter ruin, so yes, your assumption is correct :p