Advice please....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZooVet

WildZooVet
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I found out I was #1 on the Davis alternate list I was disapointed that I didn't get in, but, felt fairly certain based on the stats of previous years that I would make it off the alternate list. Now, it is looking like this may be just a crazy year where they don't get to the alternate list at all. The only other school that I really want to go to, that I got into, is the University of Edinburgh.

The thing is, and I'm sure this feeling is amplified by the fact that I'm sitting in a lab in Missouri while my family has easter lunch together, but, I've spent a lot of time away these last couple years. I've traveled quite a bit, studied abroad and have spent the last two years working on a masters at the Univeristy of Missouri. All this has made me realize how much I want to be closer to my family. I'm very close with both my brother and my sister, who go to UC Berkeley, and I want to be around for holidays, birthdays ect. Maybe this sounds childish, it really is not that I have a problem being independent, but, I really value having my family in my life and would like to be able to see them more than once a year.

That being said, if I do not get off the waitlist at Davis, would it be stupid to take a year off and apply again next year. I feel that I will be a stronger applicant (I will have graduated my masters program with a 3.8+ GPA and should have at least two published papers for which I would be the primary author.) I can think of plenty of ways to fill the year...(I'm dying to go to Africa and would love to go live and volunteer at the elephant orphanage in Kenya, could very possible get a position as an elephant keeper at the Nashville zoo ect.)...but, it comes back down to is taking the sure thing better than betting that I might get in next year. I feel the fact that i was the #1 alternate should mean that I would have a good shot for next year, but, I have heard so many stories about people who were close one year and then didn't even get interviews the next.

Should I accept that if I don't get into Davis that I wasn't meant to go there and embrace the opportunity to go study in Scotland?

I have the feeling that the next 3 days are going to be pretty painful and I could really use any advive people have to offer.

BTW- apparently the 13-14 people who have not yet replied to Davis are all IS. What does that mean? Because they overaccepted by 8 and have only had 3 decline (ONLY 3!!!!) 5 more people have to decline before I would be offered a spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you Optimistic13. I do sometimes feel like we are expected to have vet med be our only goal in life. While it is a major goal in my life, and I do not take any acceptance lightly, it is nice to hear that we are still allowed to have other things that are important in our lives that do factor into making vet school decisions. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar boat (hah, I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Davis, but I'm farther down the wait list). I have put down my deposit and I'm planning on going to Iowa State. As much as it hurts me to think about not being in Davis for the next few years (my boyfriend will still be here working on his PhD), there is just no guarantee that I would get in to Davis next year. There is never a way to know. That said, to me, one bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Just my two cents

When I found out I was #1 on the Davis alternate list I was disapointed that I didn't get in, but, felt fairly certain based on the stats of previous years that I would make it off the alternate list. Now, it is looking like this may be just a crazy year where they don't get to the alternate list at all. The only other school that I really want to go to, that I got into, is the University of Edinburgh.

The thing is, and I'm sure this feeling is amplified by the fact that I'm sitting in a lab in Missouri while my family has easter lunch together, but, I've spent a lot of time away these last couple years. I've traveled quite a bit, studied abroad and have spent the last two years working on a masters at the Univeristy of Missouri. All this has made me realize how much I want to be closer to my family. I'm very close with both my brother and my sister, who go to UC Berkeley, and I want to be around for holidays, birthdays ect. Maybe this sounds childish, it really is not that I have a problem being independent, but, I really value having my family in my life and would like to be able to see them more than once a year.

That being said, if I do not get off the waitlist at Davis, would it be stupid to take a year off and apply again next year. I feel that I will be a stronger applicant (I will have graduated my masters program with a 3.8+ GPA and should have at least two published papers for which I would be the primary author.) I can think of plenty of ways to fill the year...(I'm dying to go to Africa and would love to go live and volunteer at the elephant orphanage in Kenya, could very possible get a position as an elephant keeper at the Nashville zoo ect.)...but, it comes back down to is taking the sure thing better than betting that I might get in next year. I feel the fact that i was the #1 alternate should mean that I would have a good shot for next year, but, I have heard so many stories about people who were close one year and then didn't even get interviews the next.

Should I accept that if I don't get into Davis that I wasn't meant to go there and embrace the opportunity to go study in Scotland?

I have the feeling that the next 3 days are going to be pretty painful and I could really use any advive people have to offer.

BTW- apparently the 13-14 people who have not yet replied to Davis are all IS. What does that mean? Because they overaccepted by 8 and have only had 3 decline (ONLY 3!!!!) 5 more people have to decline before I would be offered a spot.

Check it out! Looks like a Davis seat is being given up....

"And WildZooVet... I know for an absolute fact that my friend is declining her seat at Davis."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=614999&page=2

I as well know for a fact that at least one of my friends is declining a slot at Davis, but it is an IS spot, as we have discussed before. That said, what is wrong with taking what you have in hand, and waiting until after the 15th for a slot at Davis? Once again a bird in the hand.. but also you can always say no but thank you to the other school. I completely understand your dilemma, but you of all people have a really good shot at having your pie as well. Just hang in there, we all know how hard it is to wait, and are there in spirit with you...

I as well know for a fact that at least one of my friends is declining a slot at Davis, but it is an IS spot, as we have discussed before. That said, what is wrong with taking what you have in hand, and waiting until after the 15th for a slot at Davis? Once again a bird in the hand.. but also you can always say no but thank you to the other school. I completely understand your dilemma, but you of all people have a really good shot at having your pie as well. Just hang in there, we all know how hard it is to wait, and are there in spirit with you...

I think the expression might be having your cake too, but, I like pie better, so thanks Kai.

All this waiting is good for my local wine shop, but, bad for the writing of my thesis.:laugh:

One of the biggest reasons I decided to go to UF over Mizzou was being close to my loved ones. If you are confident that your application will be stronger next time around I would hold off and decline Scotland. Last summer I spent almost a month in Mozambique and South Africa doing volunteer work and also had the opportunity to shadow at the Cape Animal Medical Centre in Cape Town, SA (www.camc.co.za). I would take the year off and get some more experience and possibly travel abroad for a few weeks if possible. Then you have gained more experience, enjoyed a slice of life before the "real life," made your application stronger, and have a better chance of studying close to your loved ones for 4 years...which is a long time to be in another country! Patience is a virtue!

I think the expression might be having your cake too, but, I like pie better, so thanks Kai.

All this waiting is good for my local wine shop, but, bad for the writing of my thesis.:laugh:

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure it'll all work out no matter what you do. PS, I totally understand/agree about the thesis-writing--I'm trying to spend a few hours each day writing but when I sit down, I read a few papers then look on SDN and VIN, clean the litter box, buy groceries, clean the bathroom...and somehow the thesis is not being written. Can't wait to be finished with it!

Hey now, cake is nice and all, but an awesome blackberry pie with vanilla ice cream... No contest! :cool:

Wildzoovet, Don't most applicants have to accept or decline their seat at Davis by the 15th? Edinburgh's deposit isn't even due until May 1st, so why don't you just wait and see? If a spot is going to open up, I would think it would happen sometime during those 2 weeks...you have a very good chance of getting in, so I would hold off on the worrying just yet (easier said than done, I know). But from what you've said, it really does sound like you want to be at Davis. I don't think taking a year off would be a bad idea, as much as I want another SDNer at Edinburgh with me!

Originally I felt the same way... I had applied to three US schools (Cornell, 5 hours away, Tufts, 4 hours away, and UPenn, 3 hours away), as well as Ross (well... a plane ride away).

I thought that if I only got into Ross... that I'd wait a year and see if I could get into a US school, because I think my application would be stronger.

But I don't know what I'd do with myself. I mean, I'm sure I'd figure out something productive, but I've never NOT been at school (or in between semesters... i'm finishing my senior year right now).

Eventually I decided that even if I only got accepted to Ross, I'd still go. For me, it just wasn't worth the wait, and all the stress of going through the application cycle again, and not knowing for another year.

I got accepted to Ross and have since sent in my first deposit. I'm waitlisted at UPenn, and would go there in a heartbeat if they were to accept me.... but if they don't, I'm still going to Ross.

I just didn't have it in me to wait another year.

It's not even April 15th yet. When Davis calls off the list it is usually after that date so don't give up yet.