Advice, please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rada

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the August MCAT before having completed the prerequisites - basically I hadn't had any Biology or Organic and very little chemistry. I got 11,12,9,T,with a GPA of 3.86 from a foreign school - I am an Eastern European immigrant.

I am taking all this coursework now, and I have applied to only 2 schools - It is difficult to relocate. No news yet.

I'm wondering if I should plan on retaking the MCAT in April, or should apply again in June with my present stats and retake in August - provided I don't do anything this year. Any advice? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are good, but how good depends on the schools you applied to. You mention that your are an immigrant. Are you a US citizen at this point?
I am asking because if you are not, that is going to be the biggest hurdle you will have to overcome to be accepted into med school in the US. Most schools won't offer you an interview if you are not a US citizen, even if you are a permanent resident. It is not legal but it is the way it works, and it is many times worse with state schools, even though you may technically be a resident of that state.
Basically what I am saying is that, if you don't get in this year, don't think that it is exclusively because of your stats. Work on improving your stats because that always helps, but also check out schools who have had a policy of accepting permanent residents in the past, assuming again that you are not a US citizen. For instance, the only foreign born students in my class are US citizens, although they had their citizenship applications pending when they were accepted, and DO schools have a reputation to be more open minded in this regard anyways. It is not easy to do because the schools are not upfront about it, but you may find out through the pre-med grapevine. Best of luck!

Your best bet would probably be to contact schools directly and see what they recommend. Your MCAT scores and GPA are above the national average so you should be okay as far as those are concerned. Where did you emigrate from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Romania. Immigrated two years ago, and I'm not a citizen yet. Thank you for your suggestions. I hadn't thought at all about the problem of citizenship. I wonder how I could try to find out more about that. As for calling the schools, I think that 's a good idea but I'm wondering if that couln't be seen as a sign that I don't believe in my chances for this year.

Hi Rada,

I'm currently a foreign student (I'm not a permanent resident nor a citizen)and have got admitted to 2 medical schools and do not have as good MCAT scores as yours. I have turned down 3 other interviews. Only 3 D.O. schools require you to be a permanent resident when you apply (Oklahoma State, Tuoro and Ohio University). Most M.D. schools accept foreign students except for some state schools (e.g. UMASS Amherst) but i'm sure all accept permanent residents.

I do think that if you're not a citizen, you'll not be eligible for federal scholarships (e.g. National Health Services etc), but you can still apply for student loans. Good luck to you. With your stats, i don't think you'll have a problem getting in.

From my experience, most schools are more than happy to answer any questions you might have. I think they understand that deciding where you plan to go to medical school is a huge decision. By contacting them and asking questions, you are showing interest in them. In addition, you are showing that you don't take making important decision lightly. I do not believe that contacting them with questions will lessen their opinion of you as an applicant. Good luck and (a belated) welcome to America.

Anadeem,

things must have really changed since I last checked, but it sounds like great news! If you don't mind sharing with us, which schools accepted you? I have a couple of friends on student visas that would benefit from this kind of info.
Additionally, I am sure you cannot apply for federal student loans, since I have the form right here in front of me and it says that you must be a citizen or a permanent resident to apply. So, what kind of loans could they apply for? How are you financing your education?
Thanks