Advice please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

so. cal gal

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody,

I'm in need of a bit of advice...
I'm a CA resident who's been accepted to UIC only so far..and i just got another interview invite to finch. I can't decide whether or not I want to accept the interview cuz frankly, I don't savor interview preparation and flying out to Chicago right about now. What I would like to ask you knowleddgeable folks is if you know much of the rep of either school. The only thing I would prefer about finch is that it's private so I won't be paying more than the other students like I would be at UIC. Can anyone tell me anything about the rep status rank environment of either school? Is either UIC or Finch much better than the other or are they about the same?
 
I admittedly don't know much about Finch, but as long as you're giving me the opportunity to denegrate it, it's on. My advisor told me not to apply there. He mentioned something about rich and/or influential alums being able to "buy" their children's way into Finch, and indicated that it gave Finch somewhat of an unsavory reputation. However, my advisor is very old school and these incidents may not have been all that recent, and I suspect that this may not be so important these days. Additionally, I think that (for whatever it's worth) UIC has a better reputation than Finch. Take that as you will. Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.
 
I did my undergrad and now grad at UIC. The medical school is great. I would say it's better than Finch. You have a myriad of hospital choices to do rotations from, which is great. I haven't heard anything from there yet, but it's my top choice school. It's VERY cheap (even when compared to Finch youd still be paying less at UIC as an out of stater). Hope this helps you decide. Good luck!
 
ok thank you both! i've made up my mind to decline the interview 🙂 thanks so much for the help!