Advice plz..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennyboy5406

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I've been attending a CC for 2 years and a quarter, my dilemma, is I just got rejected by my four year to transfer over, so it looks like I'm going to continue at the cc and apply for summer quarter (revamp my gpa, blah blah) heres the problem, I haven't completed a transfer degree (AA, OR AS), so I think that I'm not going to take any science classes and just take a bunch of humanities/social sciences which will easily complete my AA degree so that I will have a decent chance at getting out of here. The other main reason to not continue taking science classes is that, I have already taken all of gen chem with labs at the CC and I don't wana do BIO or any of the other pre-reqs here. I'd much rather just get out of here like summer quarter and begin all those at the 4 year. Is this a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I've been attending a CC for 2 years and a quarter, my dilemma, is I just got rejected by my four year to transfer over, so it looks like I'm going to continue at the cc and apply for summer quarter (revamp my gpa, blah blah) heres the problem, I haven't completed a transfer degree (AA, OR AS), so I think that I'm not going to take any science classes and just take a bunch of humanities/social sciences which will easily complete my AA degree so that I will have a decent chance at getting out of here. The other main reason to not continue taking science classes is that, I have already taken all of gen chem with labs at the CC and I don't wana do BIO or any of the other pre-reqs here. I'd much rather just get out of here like summer quarter and begin all those at the 4 year. Is this a bad idea?

No I think most med schools prefer that you complete your prereqs at a 4-year institution, so your plan sounds good.

Members don't see this ad :)
What happened to your gpa?

yeah, and also:
why didn't you finish an associate's in 2 yrs and a quarter?
why didn't you get accepted to the 4 yr college?

it sounds like there's some issues at play here, so rushing into a 4 yr to take sciences might not be the best idea. you should speak with whomever you think can help you with this: advisers/counselors/classmates/parents.

Good plan. Finish your degree program. Then, as the above poster suggested, talk with an advisor or counselor and figure out what has been going wrong so you can make a better strategy for acceptance and success in a 4 year program.

when I read this, I was like, what four year institution would be such jag-off's about taking cc students? then I was like, OH YEAH, MY HOME TOWN!

Then I looked at your avatar and realized I was right, and then I gave myself a pat on the back for being so intiuitive.

P.S. - I know many people who have gone cc to full time UW student by starting out with a partial course load for one quarter, then the next quarter they are allowed to fully enroll.

Geez that 4-year is tough. My local 4-year just requires 26 credits with GPA of 2.5 to transfer in.

haha yes yes it is the infamous UW, I had a really ****ty gpa...2.81 sooo I realize that acceptance was slim, but yes I do plan on adressing issues in regards to upping this gpa and such, and I will be finishing the transfer degree then re-applying in summer quarter most likely

haha yes yes it is the infamous UW, I had a really ****ty gpa...2.81 sooo I realize that acceptance was slim, but yes I do plan on adressing issues in regards to upping this gpa and such, and I will be finishing the transfer degree then re-applying in summer quarter most likely

... I assume you are aware of this, but if you've got that GPA after 2 and a quarter years, you need to do more than just "up the gpa;" you've pretty much gotta bang out straight A's from here on out, both at your CC and then at the 4-year to have a shot at med school :/

Again, I'm sure you know that from hanging out here, but I figured I'd say it on the off-chance you didn't realize how backed into a corner you are.

... I assume you are aware of this, but if you've got that GPA after 2 and a quarter years, you need to do more than just "up the gpa;" you've pretty much gotta bang out straight A's from here on out, both at your CC and then at the 4-year to have a shot at med school :/

Again, I'm sure you know that from hanging out here, but I figured I'd say it on the off-chance you didn't realize how backed into a corner you are.

and keep in mind that transferring to UW is only going to make good grades harder to get.