Advice Re: Changing MCAT Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenix.

Emdee Jaydee
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm signed up to take the MCAT in mid-April just outside of Chicago but am feeling that with my state of preparation and upcoming conflicting exams it would probably be worth it to change my date to May to do better both on my exams and on the MCAT. I figure that it won't impact my application that much since I would have my scores back in June (can you have AMCAS start processing your transcripts before your MCAT score is in, or is *everything* delayed?).

I went to change my date, and it looks like they're using a google map system. I tried every date in May in pretty much everywhere within a 2 hr drive of Chicago, and it just perpetually says "checking for seats" with a spinning clock icon. It's never actually said that there weren't any seats available, and the clock graphic never stopped spinning. Should I assume that everthing is full already? Or should I let it "spin" for more than the 10 minutes I've been letting it go?

Has anyone else tried to change their MCAT date yet? Did the site actually say "no seats available?" Or is the perpetually spinning clock a sign that there just isn't anything available? I figured that everything would be full in May, but I'm still hoping. I'll of course try to call tomorrow when they open to see if someone can check for me to be sure. I really don't trust their web site, especially since it took me 9 hours just to register for my April date back in January. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i changed my april 12 to may 16. smart move, cause now i can study a month longer. i'm in CA, and i got a spot close to me with no problem really.

I'm signed up to take the MCAT in mid-April just outside of Chicago but am feeling that with my state of preparation and upcoming conflicting exams it would probably be worth it to change my date to May to do better both on my exams and on the MCAT. I figure that it won't impact my application that much since I would have my scores back in June (can you have AMCAS start processing your transcripts before your MCAT score is in, or is *everything* delayed?).

I went to change my date, and it looks like they're using a google map system. I tried every date in May in pretty much everywhere within a 2 hr drive of Chicago, and it just perpetually says "checking for seats" with a spinning clock icon. It's never actually said that there weren't any seats available, and the clock graphic never stopped spinning. Should I assume that everthing is full already? Or should I let it "spin" for more than the 10 minutes I've been letting it go?

Has anyone else tried to change their MCAT date yet? Did the site actually say "no seats available?" Or is the perpetually spinning clock a sign that there just isn't anything available? I figured that everything would be full in May, but I'm still hoping. I'll of course try to call tomorrow when they open to see if someone can check for me to be sure. I really don't trust their web site, especially since it took me 9 hours just to register for my April date back in January. Thanks

1) yes AMCAS will most certainly begin to process your application w/o MCAT scores. a few of my friends applied to (and even received several secondaries from ) school BEFORE even taking the MCAT (they took it last august). As long as your undergrad transcripts have been sent, you'll be all set.

2) i just changed my date from may 11th to the 25th (b/c yes as crazy as it seems, i know how crucial those last two weeks are and i like having them as a 'cushion').... i didn't have any problems with the registration page not loading, but it's common. so try again, and call AAMC tomorrow if you still haven't gotten a concrete 'seat availability' answer.

(...oh and it took me like 12 hours to register for the january exam back when it first opened in november:mad:... it was NOT at all awesome, and the thought of causing mass destruction to all of aamc crossed my mind... but then i realized it might hurt my chances of getting into school haha.)

hang in there.

Thanks for the info. Someone told me that they won't verify you until your MCAT score is in, but I see that they were just flat out wrong. The only real snafu I found was from the AMCAS website:

"Can I add schools after I certify and submit my initial AMCAS application?

Yes. You may re-enter your certified and submitted AMCAS application at any time to add additional medical school choices or designations, as long as the deadline has not passed for the school you wish to add. You must re-certify and re-submit the application at that time, and this must be done by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the deadline day. "

So, I plan to submit on June 1 and check off the app for all of my state schools as well as a few others that I will definitely apply to regardless of how I do on the MCAT. My only concern is that it looks like you have to re-submit and re-certify your AMCAS app a second time if you want to add schools after you get your MCAT score. I'm just hoping that doesn't mean a new verification of transcripts (which would seem a silly waste of resources). Anyone do this before and know how it works? My only concern is that if I submit on June 1 and they're still in the process of verifying my app two weeks later when my scores come out and I resubmit with additional schools, will that hold up the verification?

Regardless, I did just change my date from April 16 to May 16. I had to sign up for a location two hours away, but I figure that about a month before May some people will stress out like I did and change their date closer to me. I'll just check periodically to see if a seat near me opens up on May 11 or May 16 and fork out the extra $50 to get a more convenient location. But yeah, I'm breathing easier knowing that I'll be able to actually study for my exams and finals now. I was thinking that either my classes or the MCAT would suffer, but with taking it in May I feel much better about it. Pity there were NO seats open near me (nothing at all within a 100 mile radius on ANY date in May).