Advice regarding fellowships vs job

Started by donklevi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

donklevi

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,
Currently a PGY4, considering applying for IR. I don't want to disclose too much info...only that I'm a DO from a mid tier rads program in the northeast. My concern is that I've noticed that IR tends to be a competitive fellowship to get. A DO in the class above mine was not able to match. I'm afraid that this might happen to me. My senior resident and others seemed to be under the impression that because the market is competitive, DOs would have a harder time finding a job in this market vs. MDs. Honestly, should I worry? I'm not asking to scare people about the job market. I'm really feeling anxious about this. One of my biggest concerns is that I was planning on getting an academic job/va job, or work at some sort of nonprofit hospital, for loan repayment. PSLF. I have over 100K in student loans. Is it really hard to find a nonprofit to work for in rads? Will it make a difference that I'm a DO? I'm willing to consider 2 fellowships. Just mainly curious about the DO vs MD thing and applying for jobs. Thank you for your help!
 
Are you a resident or a medical student or a premed asking this question?

Your question seems weird for a resident to ask.
 
Pgy4 resident. Smallish program with 1 other DO in my class, and the rest being MDs. We were both curious about how the job market would be for us. Like if being DOs would make it harder? Have heard that rads is getting less competitive, so will this help with jobs in the long run for DOs or does it mean worse job market competing with MDs for jobs? Just looking at the classmates who matched in the pgy5 class above us, and the ones that didn't. So wanted to ask
 
Pgy4 resident. Smallish program with 1 other DO in my class, and the rest being MDs. We were both curious about how the job market would be for us. Like if being DOs would make it harder? Have heard that rads is getting less competitive, so will this help with jobs in the long run for DOs or does it mean worse job market competing with MDs for jobs? Just looking at the classmates who matched in the pgy5 class above us, and the ones that didn't. So wanted to ask

I don't think there will be a bias but even if there is one, it does not have anything to do with IR fellowship. You can not change your degree but you can strengthen your CV.