Advice/Tips would be awesome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently finished my first quarter of 3rd year at UC Davis. Although I always wanted to pursue medicine, I didn't give it serious thought until towards the end of last season. Therefore I only started my clinical experience this year. So far I have 40 hours at a gynecology medical/surgical department, which I will have 40 more hours by the end of next quarter to complete the internship. I have some volunteer experience in a community service club and I have been helping a family friend at his dental office every summer since high school.
My GPA is at an ok 3.55, and I think my science gpa is 3.6. However, I think I have a decent upward trend because my GPA during my first 4 quarters was 3.38 and i managed to get 3.67,3.73,3.83,3.77 during my last 4 quarters (one of which was an extra summer session I took). I also managed to get A,A,A- in my organic chemistry series (last part of ochem was during 6 week summer session which was a bit fast paced for me). I am very certain that I will be able to maintain the 3.7+ gpa ive been getting.
Seeing as though I made the decision to persue medicine somewhat late, I decided that it was better that I wait to apply for the 2011 admissions rather than the 2010 admissions. This will give me much more time to fill up my ECs and study for MCAT and to raise my GPA.
Assuming I manage to pull up my GPA to 3.6-3.7 and have a 30ish MCAT score and have 2 solid years of EC, where do you think I stand as far as California MD schools? I should be able to get a research position this quarter and Im also starting a tutoring job at my school for biology. Im also considering training to become an EMT later on. What can I do to improve my application? And whats the best or the easiest way to obtain physician shadowing? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

With a GPA of 3.7 and a low 30s MCAT, you will have a difficult time getting into the extremely-selective California state schools without amazing research, outstanding volunteerism and clinical experience (I'd qualify EMT as well above average provided you use it in a work or volunteer situation. The credentials alone will not help at all), or above average leadership. You'll need to broaden the pool of schools you apply to in order to increase your chances of an acceptance. Or get an MCAT of 34+.

Shadowing opportunities come when you meet docs during your clinical experiences and ask them. Your plan for building good extracurriculars is fine. And having two years of your experiences will definitely make your application stronger.

thanks, and ill definitely study my butt off for a good MCAT score.
what courses are counted towards BCPM gpa anyways? i know its biology, chemistry, physics, and math but is it just the med school prereq courses or would they count upper division courses as well?
also, which schools do you consider "extremely-selective" in cali? and which are less selective? im pretty sure i have a good idea but i just want to verify.
i know im just firing a bunch of questions so im very grateful for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
what courses are counted towards BCPM gpa anyways? i know its biology, chemistry, physics, and math but is it just the med school prereq courses or would they count upper division courses as well?

which schools do you consider "extremely-selective" in cali? and which are less selective?

BCPM includes upper-level courses too, not just the prerequisites.

Among Cali schools, least selective: Loma Linda with mean GPA 3.7, MCAT 30
then: Irvine and Davis with GPA 3.7 and MCAT 32
then UCLA with GPA 3.8 and MCAT 33. It only gets worse.
USC 3.7 and 35
UCSF and UCSD 3.8 and 35
Stanford 3.8 and 37.

Well, you can see why an MCAT of ~30 won't get you very far.

I definitely see what youre saying...
I actually have no clue as to what kind of MCAT score I can pull off, so far ive just been reviewing gen chem since its been so long and also trying to retain stuff Ive learned more recently

Oh and Standford is more selective than UCSF, really? I thought UCSF was pretty hardcore compared to the other cali schools although theyre all pretty tough of course.

Oh and Standford is more selective than UCSF, really? I thought UCSF was pretty hardcore compared to the other cali schools although theyre all pretty tough of course.

It's a common misconception that higher numbers = more selectivity. It's why you see so many pre-med posts in shock that their 3.9, 40 could not even get them an interview at UCSF.