Advice to get into DPT a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Familiar001

Reaction score
Hello!!

I have a bachelors in Health Science which contains a few pre-requisites for PT school. I didn't decide to pursue a career in physical therapy until after graduation. I didn't apply to any PT schools first. I felt as though a masters was a good option first.

I am currently starting my first year in a masters program in exercise science with a concentration in health and rehabilitation sciences. I plan to get some observation hours as well. I was wondering if there are any other options or things that I can do in order to increase my chances into getting into a DPT program?

Members don't see this ad.

At the end of the day, PT programs are looking to see if you have the qualifying GPA, GRE, LOR, and shadowing hours. A Master's is robust and a great interview point to bring up, but it won't necessarily give you an edge if you are lacking in other ways. I recommend organizing the programs you want to apply to and comparing your personal statistics to both the minimum requirements as well as the "average" scores (GPA and GRE) that the school may report for accepted students. I know when I was applying I also contacted schools and told them about my situation and set up tours. This helped the faculty learn who I was prior to applying and stick out in their head when reading my app. This is just a broad idea of what to do, but I think helpful for people treading this path for the first time and overwhelmed by the process. I know I was! Good luck!

Hello!!

I have a bachelors in Health Science which contains a few pre-requisites for PT school. I didn't decide to pursue a career in physical therapy until after graduation. I didn't apply to any PT schools first. I felt as though a masters was a good option first.

I am currently starting my first year in a masters program in exercise science with a concentration in health and rehabilitation sciences. I plan to get some observation hours as well. I was wondering if there are any other options or things that I can do in order to increase my chances into getting into a DPT program?
There is really no need to do Masters, especially if your GPA is good. Taking pre-reqs in a community college would probably be cheaper , easier, and faster than getting another degree. If you do choose to proceed with your Masters program, you need to have good GPA. Some schools will not ask you to take GRE if you have Masters, so keep that in mind when applying. Do 100-150 observation hours (depending on school requirements, don't do more than 50 above minimal requirement - waste of time) in 2-3 different settings (outpatient clinic, pediatrics, hospital, SNF, ALF, daycare center for seniors, neuro or ortho setting).

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!!

Speaking as someone who had a master's in exercise science when I applied to DPT, it won't help you. I did the MS because I wanted to, not for PT, and I loved it and have no regrets but if are doing it purely to help your PT application, don't bother. My school still required the GRE despite my MS with a 4.0 GPA. Schools don't care if you have it. It can be a nice talking point during interviews, but that doesn't make it worth the time and money to complete it.

If you want the MS and enjoy it so far, and aren't daunted by the additional debt, by all means finish it. It helped me immensely in understanding a lot of the material presented and in general what I learned in my MS was different than what and/or how I learned it in DPT.

Other than that, just nail your undergrad GPA and core science requirements GPA, and nail your GREs. Get your hours in a variety of settings, both OP and IP (if you can find it). Don't try to get in thousands and thousands of hours, just get what's required and maybe a few more.