Advice to get into PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antsi3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was reading some PT articles last night and found myself reflecting on my path to PT school. I just have to say that I'm extremely nervous. I'm an undergrad senior with one semester left and I'm beginning to get my applications completed as the deadlines are nearing. I just wanted to share a little bit about myself and possibly get some feedback to where I stand on my chances of getting accepted.

To begin, my GPA is sort of below the required GPA. I am around 2.8/2.9 and hoping to pass the 3.0 mark in the last semester. These past 3 years have been a bit of a rocky journey as I was facing some personal issues with my parents and taking a toll on my focus from my studies and not giving my all. I'm still trying to move forward from this circumstance that I hope will end soon. Anyways, I have completed almost all of the pre-req's, I just have anatomy left. As for the GRE, I will be taking it in about 4 weeks. For my observation hours, I am currently volunteering at a PT clinic in a hospital where I believe I have about 100 hours and counting.

So, this was just a little info about myself and where I stand academically. Any advice on what I should do that could help me improve my chances would greatly be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there :) So, first off, if you want it bad enough you'll make it happen. You'll get into PT school if you want it bad enough and are willing to put in the work. I know your last three years weren't ideal conditions for you, but don't let those years convince you that you're off track from your goal. You'll make it happen! I would say, ace Anatomy if you can. Finish the semester as strong as possible. Evaluate your GPA when you graduate and figure out what classes you would retake at a technical or community college to enhance your GPA, if your GPA doesn't seem competitive based on the schools you wish to apply to. Study Magoosh or the ETS GRE book to help you be prepared for the GRE. Magoosh was pretty spot on with helping me prepare appropriately for the GRE, to be honest. Aim for at least a 300. It is good that you have 100 hours in a PT hospital setting, but you'll want to consider getting more than 100 in that area or at least get 20 hours more and two other settings. It is more important to have observed or shadowed in multiple settings, 20 hours each than acquire a ton of hours in one setting. Hopefully this helped! YOU CAN DO IT!

Honestly, if you are applying now with a 2.8/2.9 GPA your chances are extremely low to get in anywhere. If you wait to send your application to PTCAS until after your GPA has moved above a 3.0, you at least won't be automatically rejected by most schools (but still a low chance of admission). Besides the GRE, I recommend retaking any pre reqs in which you received a C and then also taking some extra classes to pull up your GPA. (I'm not sure I quite understand your post....but if you are planning to apply this cycle, I would recommend instead pushing it back to next year as you will get automatically rejected based on your GPA by many schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there :) So, first off, if you want it bad enough you'll make it happen. You'll get into PT school if you want it bad enough and are willing to put in the work. I know your last three years weren't ideal conditions for you, but don't let those years convince you that you're off track from your goal. You'll make it happen! I would say, ace Anatomy if you can. Finish the semester as strong as possible. Evaluate your GPA when you graduate and figure out what classes you would retake at a technical or community college to enhance your GPA, if your GPA doesn't seem competitive based on the schools you wish to apply to. Study Magoosh or the ETS GRE book to help you be prepared for the GRE. Magoosh was pretty spot on with helping me prepare appropriately for the GRE, to be honest. Aim for at least a 300. It is good that you have 100 hours in a PT hospital setting, but you'll want to consider getting more than 100 in that area or at least get 20 hours more and two other settings. It is more important to have observed or shadowed in multiple settings, 20 hours each than acquire a ton of hours in one setting. Hopefully this helped! YOU CAN DO IT!
Thank you so much for the advice!! I really want it so bad! Going to continue to work harder.

Honestly, if you are applying now with a 2.8/2.9 GPA your chances are extremely low to get in anywhere. If you wait to send your application to PTCAS until after your GPA has moved above a 3.0, you at least won't be automatically rejected by most schools (but still a low chance of admission). Besides the GRE, I recommend retaking any pre reqs in which you received a C and then also taking some extra classes to pull up your GPA. (I'm not sure I quite understand your post....but if you are planning to apply this cycle, I would recommend instead pushing it back to next year as you will get automatically rejected based on your GPA by many schools).
Thank you for the advice, I'm definitely going to work on getting my GPA back to where it should be!