Looking for advice to round out my application going into secondaries/interviews. The advice I've gotten so far is that my research/teaching is top notch, but I need more unique volunteering to demonstrate compassion and something that makes me stand out. My whole application is on a theme of academic medicine, and that I want to be able to teach, research, and practice medicine. I just graduated undergraduate and am applying this cycle. My goal is to stay in California. I would take UCSD/UCLA/UCSF over Harvard/Yale/Hopkins any day.
cGPA/sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 11/14 (bio)/11
Research: Research assistant in structural biochemistry for 4 years and 2nd author in a Nature subjournal. 1st author poster presentation and a senior honors thesis my last year. The honors thesis was completely my own independent project, separate from the one that I was on for the first 3 years that led to the publication. ~4,000 hours. I'm continuing it into my masters in a 5-year BS/MS program.
Clinical volunteering: 100 hours in ICU volunteering over 2 years, currently projected to do 50-100 hours more in ED this year.
Shadowing: None yet, scheduling it soon to update on secondaries/interviews. However, I did spend a significant amount of hours following doctors around in the ICU because there were slow days, so I can talk about what it's like to be a doctor.
Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours as a tutor to low socioeconomic students in a mainly hispanic school for 2 years. Also continuing to do ~50 hours more as the year progresses.
Extracurriculars: Teaching assistant for 2 years ~2,000 hours. Head TA for last year. Helped found a science and health education/outreach organization that also serves as premed advising, currently treasurer for it. Did brief social media volunteering for a website that publishes health/science articles which eventually led to the organization I helped start.
Typical awards and honors like PBK, honors list, etc.
School list: Applying to 40+ schools, including all the UCs, most of the top tiers, and a decent number of safety/match schools like Arizona, Virginia, Miami, Tufts, etc.
Should I be talking more about my hobbies and interests in secondaries? I didn't include them on the AMCAS because it felt irrelevant. I have an extensive background in performance music and play piano, violin, guitar, and I sing, although I haven't done much performance since before college. I was wondering if it's better to include it on a "tell us more about yourself" prompt or to bring it up during interviews.