Advice - Transition from undergrad to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g protein

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I have just finished my undergraduate studies and earned my degree, and will be attending med school this fall for my first year. I really enjoyed my undergrad experience, in many different ways . Mostly, I subjectively enjoyed some of the things associated with the four years of undergrad: new experiences, meeting new people, looking back on the experience with pride, etc. Anyone who's been there knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I am pretty much in bummed out and in somewhat of a daze after graduating college. I definitely am not taking well to saying goodbye to all of the secondary social/spiritual/recreational opportunities afforded by your four years of undergrad.

So my question is: can med school (at least the first two years) offer ANY renewed feelings at all similar to undergrad... i.e. can the social and subjective experience be at all stimulating and rewarding in that special way that just makes you satisfied and uplifted??? Is the novelty of med school good or bad??? And, do med school graduates look back on med school with any degree of positive nastalgia? Do friendships last in the same way they might from high school or college?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And along those lines, maybe specific thoughts as to how to boost the social and otherwise recreational experience of med school secondary to academics.

(for the record, I am not some slacker asking this qeustion... after all I got accepted to med school, had pretty good mcats, and know how to "get things done" academically. I am just trying to gain insight as to how to enjoy myself in med school)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello.

Anyway, I am pretty much in bummed out and in somewhat of a daze after graduating college. I definitely am not taking well to saying goodbye to all of the secondary social/spiritual/recreational opportunities afforded by your four years of undergrad.

So my question is: can med school (at least the first two years) offer ANY renewed feelings at all similar to undergrad...

I am sure there are adult beverage establishments nearby your school in which case the first two years will be very similar to college. :laugh:

So my question is:

1) can med school (at least the first two years) offer ANY renewed feelings at all similar to undergrad... i.e. can the social and subjective experience be at all stimulating and rewarding in that special way that just makes you satisfied and uplifted?

I think so. I'll focus on social. I'm no big social butterfly, but I like meeting people. And I've made some great friends with some great people in medical school. It's very interesting to have a "we're going to be colleagues" experience with your friends (of course, this can be bad if you don't get along with your class.) Be warned though, you're going to be seeing a LOT of the same faces day in and day out. That can be a big adjustment for some people who are used to the anonymity of undergraduate.

2) Is the novelty of med school good or bad?

I think it's good. First year can kind of get you down with "What does interleuken-17 have to do with me wanting to be a urologist?" mumbo jumbo, but the majority of places have clinical experiences. They do get old after a while but it is fun to see medicine from the "other side" for a while. As long as you're not Little Sally Sunshine who loves EVERYTHING or Dark Cloud Dan who HATES everything, I think it's a generally positive experience.

3) And, do med school graduates look back on med school with any degree of positive nostalgia?

I think so. Residents and attendings are known to tell stories about their exploits in medical school. I mean, nobody remembers the Kreb cycle or Step 1 fondly, but people have funny anecdotes about anatomy dissections and cramming for tests as well as the usual extracurricular activit stories.

4) Do friendships last in the same way they might from high school or college?

I think it depends on how you view your high school or college friends. I see my high school friends and college friends rarely. They're mostly in different cities and states doing their own thing and are almost as busy as I am. You drop them an email, hang out when someone's in town or do the occasional visit. I imagine it'll be the same with med school friends. People do residencies across the country, they have busy practices when they're out and most people are going to be starting families sooner rather than later. So it's going to be difficult to stay best buds, but I definitely think it's a warm relationship.

I.E. if I'm going to go to a conference in Houston and I know a classmate of mine works there, I'd love to catch up, meet the spouse and kids if I can. Or if I'm working in San Diego and my old buddy from med school wants a job with someone I know, I'll definitely put in a good word for them.

The second example is particullarly big. Medicine is a small family, even though it seems like they're a lot of us. Connections made in med school (and residency) can last a long time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its going to be different than undergrad. Just make sure you find enough social opportunities since it is much easier to wall yourself off in the library than it was during undergrad.

So my question is:

1) can med school (at least the first two years) offer ANY renewed feelings at all similar to undergrad... i.e. can the social and subjective experience be at all stimulating and rewarding in that special way that just makes you satisfied and uplifted?

I think so. I'll focus on social. I'm no big social butterfly, but I like meeting people. And I've made some great friends with some great people in medical school. It's very interesting to have a "we're going to be colleagues" experience with your friends (of course, this can be bad if you don't get along with your class.) Be warned though, you're going to be seeing a LOT of the same faces day in and day out. That can be a big adjustment for some people who are used to the anonymity of undergraduate.

I think it's good. First year can kind of get you down with "What does interleuken-17 have to do with me wanting to be a urologist?" mumbo jumbo, but the majority of places have clinical experiences. They do get old after a while but it is fun to see medicine from the "other side" for a while. As long as you're not Little Sally Sunshine who loves EVERYTHING or Dark Cloud Dan who HATES everything, I think it's a generally positive experience.

3) And, do med school graduates look back on med school with any degree of positive nostalgia?

I think so. Residents and attendings are known to tell stories about their exploits in medical school. I mean, nobody remembers the Kreb cycle or Step 1 fondly, but people have funny anecdotes about anatomy dissections and cramming for tests as well as the usual extracurricular activit stories.

I think it depends on how you view your high school or college friends. I see my high school friends and college friends rarely. They're mostly in different cities and states doing their own thing and are almost as busy as I am. You drop them an email, hang out when someone's in town or do the occasional visit. I imagine it'll be the same with med school friends. People do residencies across the country, they have busy practices when they're out and most people are going to be starting families sooner rather than later. So it's going to be difficult to stay best buds, but I definitely think it's a warm relationship.

I.E. if I'm going to go to a conference in Houston and I know a classmate of mine works there, I'd love to catch up, meet the spouse and kids if I can. Or if I'm working in San Diego and my old buddy from med school wants a job with someone I know, I'll definitely put in a good word for them.

The second example is particullarly big. Medicine is a small family, even though it seems like they're a lot of us. Connections made in med school (and residency) can last a long time.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You have no idea how therapeutic this was for me.

So my question is:

Great post. I echo your thoughts as well. I've made some great friends in med school and had some great times. Of course, not with the same tenacity or frequency as some of my social exploits in college (grin) but on the whole its been a very enjoyable experience.

I was much like the OP in that I had an incredible undergrad experience and had a very difficult time saying goodbye to that time of my life, but looking back now I still don't regret my decision to attend medical school. I may hate my life sometimes when I'm 4 large coffees deep and on my 8th hour of studying metabolism, but even at those moments I don't think I'd argue that I've genuinely enjoyed my life in medical school.

So my question is:

Gosh, I don't even have an acceptance yet, and even I loved reading that.

As mentioned above, med school is different than college. Bad idea to look at it as a continuation of the latter. Show up excited about becoming a doctor. The rest will fall into place. It's a long hard road, you will have less free time than you ever did, but will probably learn more than you ever did, do a lot of things nobody else gets to do, and will look back on it fondly when it's (thankfully) over.

Thank you to everyone that replied and offered some advice and thoughts. I thought more about why I asked the question and I found this... I don't think of med school as a sacrifice, nor residency or anything like that... really how I feel is that PRE-med studies and med school admissions pursuits was a heck of a sacrifice and ate away at me and one way or the other ultimately precluded me from fully enjoying alot of what undergrad had to offer.

I guess I just really hope that med school, and being a physician, is well worth the direct and indirect sacrifices I have made as a function of simply working hard to be accepted into med school. So with my questions I was trying to determine if there is anything that could work toward me feeling like med school is more worth it (i.e. making it more enjoyable, having a social life, etc).

And in response to Peepshowjhonny's thoughts (btw great advice and depth)... I actually agree. For a variety of reasons (place of residence, etc, but a big thing being my pursuit of a career in medicine) my high school and college friends probably wont be seen a whole lot. I feel from your comments that med school friends might end up being the same way. As such, how much "energy" do you all invest in med school friendships? I know even if you dont see old friends it doesnt detract from the value of those relatinships at the time... But I guess I'm just trying to guage how to balance work and non-work things in med school in such a way that at the end i'll have the best of both worlds (both a degree in medicine with a residency I want, AND a feeling like I had a life the prior four years).

Unfortunately undergrad feels like much more was in the direction of being a pre-med biochem student who always was concerned with getting into med school. I ended up hearing the day after graduation! So the shadow of doubt was cast over the whole damn experience of undergrad. In retrospect (having graduated and having acceptances) I see myself approaching life differently... but of course at the time it was as it was, and unfortunately self doubt seemed to supercede rationality in the context of enjoying those moments at college in a way that would leave me feeling satiation (complete satiation, that is) for years to come.

Um so yeah, I really hope when I'm buried in immunology notes I dont look back and wonder what the hell I was thinking. And I certainly hope in 10 years I can look at my next door neighbor who may be an investment banker, and still decide I am just as, if not more, satisfied as he is (having given 8 more years of education toward what may pay the same salary each year). And I know its not all about money... i'm just using that as a metaphor.

:thumbup: This is key. I've had a lot of fun so far in med school (bar tours once a week, IM sports, parties, game nights, dinners, etc), and I really like most of my classmates. Something that I've kept in mind since I became a pre-med was how small the world of medicine is... any time I shadow a doc, they ask the patient what other doc they've seen. 9 times out of 10 they go, ahhh yes, Dr. So & So they're great. So my recommendation to any hardcore students out there is to make sure your classmates know you and that they like you because they are going to help pay your bills through referrals & what not in the years to come. So it is indeed worth the effort on the social spectrum.

As far as whether or not I think I'll stay close to my classmates years down the road.... I don't really know. I suspect it will be similar to what was mentioned above on the meeting for dinner every now and again to catch up, which is really how I feel about high school or college friends, too. There may be one or two people that you really connect with that you will remain close to in the years, but most will just stay warm acquaintances.

All I'm gonna say is that med school is the most fun experience you'll never want to have to go through again (if that makes sense).

So my question is:

that was an optimistic. understand just cuz it sounds good doesnt make it right. seriously; i think > 30% of people who believe in god do so just because it makes them feel safe, not because they actually thought about it (no offense to those who honestly do believe it, more power to you)

here's a more kick-in-the-seat-of-your-pants response

1. you went to a small-ass school. you saw a lot of the same people every day. your med school is smaller. you'll see them in the library day in and day out. no more interperative dance meets at 2pm, followed by ice cream social at 3pm, mythical philosophy meets at 4pm, then casual softball at 7pm. its class 8-12, and study 1-5 MINIMUM. exam week, that extends much much later. anatomy lab not included.

yes, you make meaningful friendships. because med school is tough, a different game, and depending on your ego, you come out realizing your the biggest badass who learned a crapload in such a short time and can handle way more than ur average ***** who couldnt even get into this place. that results in a special bond, tho oftentimes unspoken, with many colleagues. and at the very least, u got through hell together. that's another bond that undergrad can't offer. you probably won't have memories of that weeklong panty-raid the week before your cardio final.

2. novelty of med school - at first it's bad. people on this forum tend to be overly positive. however the vast majority on here will admit to the copious bitching and bitching and bitching everyone did their first year, ESPECIALLY the first few months. its sheer volume that needs to be hammered into your head. everyone starts out dedicated with a good discipline, that invariably wears off, or didnt accomodate properly all the **** u needed to get done. and you find urself in a hole, and isolated from everyone catching up.
after months of this hell, you find a rhythm. then it gets better. as good as college? hell no. but much better to the point that you say i found my niche, and i can deal, and it's not too bad.

3. positive nostalgia? i'm a fourth year, just started. i'm already looking back on it with nostalgia, some positive, some very negative. i think ill look fondly back on these days. to be honest, i look back more fondly to my college days. but med school did provide me with the biggest damn ego within a 30 mile radius, taught me how awesomely kick-ass i am, and that i can do anything in this world, probably better than those hired to do their own job. i wouldve never realized this without med school. thats a huge gift to me. but in the end, i hated med school, my *****ic teachers, idiot dean, and dumb**** nurses i deal with day in and day out.

i guess what i'm tryna say is that there was a lotta pain. but it was a good pain.

you'll get over whatever hippie BS ur feeling now. this socio/culturo/empathetico whatever nonsense feeling is all you know from college. there are other facets of life you learn in med school that you didnt get in college. its very different and because u have no idea what it means, or what it is even, its easy to think uve lost everything u loved about your prior days.

you'll discover new things, very different form your past, and itll be meaningful too, in a different way. suck it up and move on, its a new game, new rules. prepare for it. in the end, youve been successful thus far in life, you'll probably continue to succeed. quit whining and move on.

you'll get over whatever hippie BS ur feeling now. this socio/culturo/empathetico whatever nonsense feeling is all you know from college.

Haha well I'm not sure I'd characterize my "feeling" from undergrad as "hippie" BS of all kinds of touchy-feely BS out there... but I do appreciate the response and your thoughts. I actually truly feel better after having read your response.

I do suppose one day I will "get over" undergrad... just may take me longer. Even fully "moving on" from high school took me at least a year or so into undergrad.

Guess its just part of who I am... a dude, yet a big softie. Oh well. I certainly respect your thoughts, but I hope I never become the most arrogant person within a 30 mile radius.

Are any doctors still humble, but satisfied with their career? Do you have to be narcissistic to positively evaluate your years in med school? It seems as though this was the "gospel" put forth by you and just wondered if it is THE way, or if there are other ways.

But again, thank you very much. I seriously feel better after reading that.

Last edited:
sure, there are plenty of humble to-be fp/peds who are getting along just dandy. arrogance isnt the gospel until you hit all types of surgery.

arrogance isn't a bad thing. my patients have complete faith in me when i respond "of course i know what i'm doing. i'm the greatest thing to have walked these halls in the past ten years!"

builds rapport, and puts them at ease. its even more dramatic when i place the NG/hit the vein/get the LP that three others fumbled at.

big ego yields big confidence. you can be confident without the ego, but enjoy it anyway. there are a lotta big personalities in medicine. you either deal, or become one. i say become one, and the gift is greater than anything you couldve learned from college.

on a more serious note tho, if transitioning takes a while for you, then you shouldnt fear never being happy or never truly transitioning. it just means ur going to be in limbo a bit longer, but will eventually get over it.

villanova's a good school. biochem's a tough major. you'll be fine.

that was an optimistic. understand just cuz it sounds good doesnt make it right. seriously; i think > 30% of people who believe in god do so just because it makes them feel safe, not because they actually thought about it (no offense to those who honestly do believe it, more power to you)

here's a more kick-in-the-seat-of-your-pants response

1. you went to a small-ass school. you saw a lot of the same people every day. your med school is smaller. you'll see them in the library day in and day out. no more interperative dance meets at 2pm, followed by ice cream social at 3pm, mythical philosophy meets at 4pm, then casual softball at 7pm. its class 8-12, and study 1-5 MINIMUM. exam week, that extends much much later. anatomy lab not included.

yes, you make meaningful friendships. because med school is tough, a different game, and depending on your ego, you come out realizing your the biggest badass who learned a crapload in such a short time and can handle way more than ur average ***** who couldnt even get into this place. that results in a special bond, tho oftentimes unspoken, with many colleagues. and at the very least, u got through hell together. that's another bond that undergrad can't offer. you probably won't have memories of that weeklong panty-raid the week before your cardio final.

2. novelty of med school - at first it's bad. people on this forum tend to be overly positive. however the vast majority on here will admit to the copious bitching and bitching and bitching everyone did their first year, ESPECIALLY the first few months. its sheer volume that needs to be hammered into your head. everyone starts out dedicated with a good discipline, that invariably wears off, or didnt accomodate properly all the **** u needed to get done. and you find urself in a hole, and isolated from everyone catching up.
after months of this hell, you find a rhythm. then it gets better. as good as college? hell no. but much better to the point that you say i found my niche, and i can deal, and it's not too bad.

3. positive nostalgia? i'm a fourth year, just started. i'm already looking back on it with nostalgia, some positive, some very negative. i think ill look fondly back on these days. to be honest, i look back more fondly to my college days. but med school did provide me with the biggest damn ego within a 30 mile radius, taught me how awesomely kick-ass i am, and that i can do anything in this world, probably better than those hired to do their own job. i wouldve never realized this without med school. thats a huge gift to me. but in the end, i hated med school, my *****ic teachers, idiot dean, and dumb**** nurses i deal with day in and day out.

i guess what i'm tryna say is that there was a lotta pain. but it was a good pain.

you'll get over whatever hippie BS ur feeling now. this socio/culturo/empathetico whatever nonsense feeling is all you know from college. there are other facets of life you learn in med school that you didnt get in college. its very different and because u have no idea what it means, or what it is even, its easy to think uve lost everything u loved about your prior days.

you'll discover new things, very different form your past, and itll be meaningful too, in a different way. suck it up and move on, its a new game, new rules. prepare for it. in the end, youve been successful thus far in life, you'll probably continue to succeed. quit whining and move on.

Speak for yourself, my friend :D

sure, there are plenty of humble to-be fp/peds who are getting along just dandy. arrogance isnt the gospel until you hit all types of surgery.

arrogance isn't a bad thing. my patients have complete faith in me when i respond "of course i know what i'm doing. i'm the greatest thing to have walked these halls in the past ten years!"

builds rapport, and puts them at ease. its even more dramatic when i place the NG/hit the vein/get the LP that three others fumbled at.

big ego yields big confidence. you can be confident without the ego, but enjoy it anyway. there are a lotta big personalities in medicine. you either deal, or become one. i say become one, and the gift is greater than anything you couldve learned from college.

on a more serious note tho, if transitioning takes a while for you, then you shouldnt fear never being happy or never truly transitioning. it just means ur going to be in limbo a bit longer, but will eventually get over it.

villanova's a good school. biochem's a tough major. you'll be fine.

The first half is fine; it's the second half that makes you sound like an ass.

The first half is fine; it's the second half that makes you sound like an ass.

You'll actually find when you start interacting with patients that a little sarcastic narcissism goes a long ways towards building rapport with patients and alleviating their anxieties. Not for every patient of course, but giving the patient something to chuckle about that also simultaneously helps their doubts about you in the back of their mind is an effective tactic.

You'll actually find when you start interacting with patients that a little sarcastic narcissism goes a long ways towards building rapport with patients and alleviating their anxieties. Not for every patient of course, but giving the patient something to chuckle about that also simultaneously helps their doubts about you in the back of their mind is an effective tactic.

Fair enough; however, based on the overall tone of Angry Engergy's passage, I don't think he's coming from the same place.