ERAS meaningful experiences for psychiatry - activities from undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Class meeting with clinical education last week suggested generally not to use activities from UG in this section. Examples were fluff that most pre-meds do like shadowing, emergency department volunteering etc. Exceptions they provided were research and work-study.

I'm applying psychiatry and heard it's helpful to show sustained interested in the field. I was involved in a psych-related activity from UG and a fairly unique non-psych related activity that I feel speaks to my leadership, work with diverse populations and ability to make people comfortable with topics that some people find uncomfortable. Was very passionate about both activities.

Are these activities appropriate to include?

Members don't see this ad.

Did they say not to include it at all? Or simply to not mark it as most meaningful.

Did they say not to include it at all? Or simply to not mark it as most meaningful.
They said don't include at all because it will be perceived as fluff and wasting PD's time to read through if it's not something that differentiates you from peers. They have been known to give strange advice before though.

I agree it would be unwise to include basic pre-med ECs. They didn't address unique or relevant pre-med experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
They said don't include at all because it will be perceived as fluff and wasting PD's time to read through if it's not something that differentiates you from peers. They have been known to give strange advice before though.

I agree it would be unwise to include basic pre-med ECs. They didn't address unique or relevant pre-med experiences.
Psych and Neuro differ from other specialties in that extensive interest in the field is eye catching. I'd include them if they are psych related or research. Most applicants switch into the field in third year, so prior interest is seen as a positive.

Reactions: 3 users
I am FM, but it is pretty common to include a few select, significant undergrad experiences that were an important part of the "story" that led to their interest in the specialty or whatever their particular niche was (care for certain patient populations, reproductive health, sports medicine, etc.). I would see if you can talk to psych chief residents or PD/faculty at your school (if you have any) who might be able to tell you what's typical for psych applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Some things that I included from before med school that were consistently remarked on in psych interviews:
-EMT B experience
-hospitality industry work
-musicianship

I think, given the somewhat vague description of your activities, they are worth mentioning especially if you can speak passionately about them.

Yeah you don’t need to copy/paste your entire AMCAS into eras, but I see no problem including relevant meaningful activities. That’s not really fluff if it’s relevant to the story. Some premeds really do have a lot of fluff that doesn’t really belong in eras, but some things can carry forward. I mean, if you were an Eagle Scout in high school I’d argue that’s worth including as well. Maybe that “relay for the cure” you did as a college sophomore can go, but keep the field specific volunteering especially if it’s what led you to the field.

Would also agree to keep anything like team sports, musicianship, etc. Those kind of things demonstrate ability to function on a team, learn a new skill, deal with delayed gratification, etc.

Reactions: 2 users