Advice wanted for anesthesiology rotation

Started by awdc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

awdc

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a med student about to do an anesthesiology rotation. What would be expected of me? Any book recommendations? Anything I should brush up on before the rotation? Thanks in advance.
 
i think mikhail and morgan is a great primer. also anesthesia secrets isnt bad either. basically just show up on time, know your patients if possible before hand, work hard, and don't expect to jump around room to room and just do lines and intubations. if you show true interest in the field, you will be rewarded by residents and attendings who will show an interest in teaching you as well. so, know the basics of the induction and maintenance agents, understand asa class and mallampati, and just ask a lot of questions. most importantly, have fun.
 
VolatileAgent said:
............. most importantly, have fun.


surprisingly this is what the chairman at my school said when i asked him the same question the OP stated. I mean I guess I shouldnt say I was surprised, but basically he told me that they didnt really have any 'expectations".

go figure.