Advice with current standing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nocturnal Doc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore undergrad student attending a T-20 university. My undergrad major is Computer Science, and I am very interested in dentistry. I have taken gen chem 1 and 2 and gen bio 1 and 2 and received a 4.0 on all four courses taken. However, I am more concerned about my overall GPA b/c my school has been very tough on my major courses, and thus I am projecting that I might end up with a GPA around the 3.4 range. I have still yet to take ochem and am planning on taking it next semester.

I was hoping to get some advice on how I could structure my application. I have been reading some threads and noticed that there's a bit of a split take between a low GPA and putting your full attention towards the DAT, or focusing more on shadow/research and DAT.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently a sophomore undergrad student attending a T-20 university. My undergrad major is Computer Science, and I am very interested in dentistry. I have taken gen chem 1 and 2 and gen bio 1 and 2 and received a 4.0 on all four courses taken. However, I am more concerned about my overall GPA b/c my school has been very tough on my major courses, and thus I am projecting that I might end up with a GPA around the 3.4 range. I have still yet to take ochem and am planning on taking it next semester.

I was hoping to get some advice on how I could structure my application. I have been reading some threads and noticed that there's a bit of a split take between a low GPA and putting your full attention towards the DAT, or focusing more on shadow/research and DAT.

Thank you.
change your major...

Reactions: 1 user
A 3.4 is hardly a “low GPA”, as macsak said switching your major might help you increase it and make it even more competitive though. As for your app, certainly try to get as many shadowing hours as possible, as well as volunteering. You don’t have to do research, but some schools find it appealing, it’s really just about getting some ECs on your app and it doesn’t HAVE to be research. As for your DAT, study hard and for as long as you need to before you feel like you can destroy that test. Once you’re closer to your app cycle make a WAMC post on here and you’ll be able to get even more advice, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.4 is hardly a “low GPA”, as macsak said switching your major might help you increase it and make it even more competitive though. As for your app, certainly try to get as many shadowing hours as possible, as well as volunteering. You don’t have to do research, but some schools find it appealing, it’s really just about getting some ECs on your app and it doesn’t HAVE to be research. As for your DAT, study hard and for as long as you need to before you feel like you can destroy that test. Once you’re closer to your app cycle make a WAMC post on here and you’ll be able to get even more advice, best of luck!
Oh okay, thank you. My major GPA right now is 3.9 right now, but I can foresee classes this semester bringing me down quite a bit and I'm starting to find some of this stuff a little more challenging. I am not sure if dental schools care for it, but I have a few software engineer internships done and am shooting for some big tech with my junior/senior year. Was hoping to accumulate some money to help with the application fees and what not moving forward with dentistry.

I will definitely study hard for the DAT, is it normal if I wanted to take a gap year just to focus on all chemistry and biology and just in general preparation for the DAT?

Thank you!

Oh okay, thank you. My major GPA right now is 3.9 right now, but I can foresee classes this semester bringing me down quite a bit and I'm starting to find some of this stuff a little more challenging. I am not sure if dental schools care for it, but I have a few software engineer internships done and am shooting for some big tech with my junior/senior year. Was hoping to accumulate some money to help with the application fees and what not moving forward with dentistry.

I will definitely study hard for the DAT, is it normal if I wanted to take a gap year just to focus on all chemistry and biology and just in general preparation for the DAT?

Thank you!
That’s not rare, gap years are fairly common whether they be intentional or bc someone didn’t get in on their first try. Just make sure you continue to volunteer, shadow, and just add to your app during your gap year.