Advice? words of wisdom? anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre-Dental'15

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I will keep this short and sweet. My DAT is in August. I'm following Ari's study plan and using the Destoryer and such but I've only been kinda studying for two weeks. I suffer from horrific depression and am just trying to make it through this cycle. Please don't think Dentistry doesn't make me happy or whatever, my head is just messed up at the moment. I'm looking to see if other people were going through some stuff while studying and they just had to grin and bear it and did well. I'm really just looking for motivation. I halfheartedly attempted suicide the other day and afterwards was like "woop, time to go to the library and study for the DAT." and that's not normal, I know. I just want to do well, but the DAT seems like it wasn't made for idiots like me to do well on
 
i don't know how good armchair psychologists on SDN can be for you. However I think you need to start figuring what's setting off your depressive episodes. Depression won't go away overnight and in many cases never.

Also you have confidence issues, you aren't an idiot otherwise you would be taking the DAT cold turkey.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just look though some of your old posts. From what I've read you've made great accomplishments. I mean you have ECs I envy and on top of that amazing grades. Give yourself credit that you've made it this far.

I hope it's not the destroyer that's setting you off lol. I can assure you that book made me think about buying rope many times.
 
i don't know how good armchair psychologists on SDN can be for you. However I think you need to start figuring what's setting off your depressive episodes. Depression won't go away overnight and in many cases never.

Also you have confidence issues, you aren't an idiot otherwise you would be taking the DAT cold turkey.

I agree with this post but please save the sarcasm. Suicide isn't something that should be taken lightly.
 
The most important thing is your health! Dentistry isn't going anywhere so focus on yourself first and the DAT second.

Btw I know all depression is not the same but what helped me a lot was 1. exercise 2. socializing even when I really didn't want to and 3. getting some sunlight

And if you really need to go to a doctor and get some meds then do it! People will help if you ask even if you just want someone to listen to you. Everything is going to be okay you're going to make it! Good luck you got this!
 
Hi. I will keep this short and sweet. My DAT is in August. I'm following Ari's study plan and using the Destoryer and such but I've only been kinda studying for two weeks. I suffer from horrific depression and am just trying to make it through this cycle. Please don't think Dentistry doesn't make me happy or whatever, my head is just messed up at the moment. I'm looking to see if other people were going through some stuff while studying and they just had to grin and bear it and did well. I'm really just looking for motivation. I halfheartedly attempted suicide the other day and afterwards was like "woop, time to go to the library and study for the DAT." and that's not normal, I know. I just want to do well, but the DAT seems like it wasn't made for idiots like me to do well on

Hi. Is there another issue beside the DAT? Family issues, financial troubles, relationship conflicts, ...?

During any hardships, I think that family and friends are something that you can rely on. Please talk to anyone you feel safe/close with. You'll be surprise of how supportive they are and how important your presence is to them. If it's only the DAT that's bothering you, then I suggest extending Ari's study guide so the materials are not overwhelming. This could lessen your stress or depression about not able to understand the materials.

Please know that you're not alone. 🙂 xo
 
The most important thing is your health! Dentistry isn't going anywhere so focus on yourself first and the DAT second.

Btw I know all depression is not the same but what helped me a lot was 1. exercise 2. socializing even when I really didn't want to and 3. getting some sunlight

And if you really need to go to a doctor and get some meds then do it! People will help if you ask even if you just want someone to listen to you. Everything is going to be okay you're going to make it! Good luck you got this!
I second the exercise, especially anaerobic. It is SO hard to make yourself go at first, but I look forward to exercise now and my mood has increased like 80% from back when I was sedentary.
 
Yes exercise helps but this seems more serious. Definitely seek out someone to talk to. Theres no shame in that. We've all had to do that before.
 
Death is never an answer at this point in our lives. There are so many exciting things out there for you to see and do. I'm still amazed at what the world has to offer. Don't give up that way.

With regards to the DAT, there are many students who struggled with it but made it through with determination. Mental health is very important in the whole process. I hope you find someone you're comfortable with to share your intermittent struggles.
 
Hi. I will keep this short and sweet. My DAT is in August. I'm following Ari's study plan and using the Destoryer and such but I've only been kinda studying for two weeks. I suffer from horrific depression and am just trying to make it through this cycle. Please don't think Dentistry doesn't make me happy or whatever, my head is just messed up at the moment. I'm looking to see if other people were going through some stuff while studying and they just had to grin and bear it and did well. I'm really just looking for motivation. I halfheartedly attempted suicide the other day and afterwards was like "woop, time to go to the library and study for the DAT." and that's not normal, I know. I just want to do well, but the DAT seems like it wasn't made for idiots like me to do well on
This thread has been reported due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.