Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adventuring-girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In January of 2015, I was diagnosed with pediatric non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I had been interested in studying medicine prior to that. I'm thinking about PA school, MD, school, or a graduate program. Anyways, I spent a year at community college and although my treatment will continue until May of 2017, I am transferring to UNC-Chapel Hill in the fall. I spent most of this year taking general education credits that will transfer because I was having very heavy treatment through September and did not want my grades to suffer. I'm hoping to major in biology or psychology on the pre-med track. In the Fall, I'm planning to take Biology 101/101L, Chemistry 101/101L, the Spanish I test into, an English composition class, and maybe a fitness concern. I guess my biggest concern is getting the patient care hours I need and completing the courses despite my treatment. I won't be able to work with patients until May 2017 at the earliest. Although I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do in terms of MD/PA/etc., I don't want to ruin any possibility. Does anyone have any advice for me? Also do I stand a chance of making it?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about getting patient care hours just yet. With your ongoing treatment, transferring to a new school and your classes I think you should go slow for the first semester at least. Find some community service stuff that interests you. Maybe a soup kitchen or find a group the fixes dinners at the Ronald McDonald House. Anything that gets you involved. But remember to take care of yourself first. There will be plenty of time to get it all done. Read up on PAs v. MD v DO. And of course you have a chance of making it. But you have to be healthy first. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest that due to current situation, you should really opt to take only 1 science course + lab (I would choose chem personally because you have to take up to biochem if you persist to go to medical school) during fall. One caveat to doing well in Lab (yes, these are tricky to get an A in because it is highly dependent on TA grading and many top schools have quotas) is to complete your reports earlier than they are due and then get it checked during TA office hours. This holds especially true because you are transitioning to a university and one which is challenging and known for hard premed courses like UVA/Umich/Berkeley. I would also recommend seeking courses with professors that are rated well. I would suggest asking your uni classmates about any internal rating websites where you can just type in your class type/professor and get insight onto how reasonably they grade. In many intro courses filled with 200 or so kids, the way professors grade and attest your work is not correlative with the amount of effort put in, especially when you consider that many don't teach all the material being tested in the lecture. However, whatever resources they do point to, they should contain all you need for exams.

I would suggest that while you are seeking treatment and studying, why don't you get information at your nearby hospital and sign up to be a volunteer? I think this should be your first EC that you add on because I regret having delayed my involvement in patient care. Even if you do just 2 hours a week, your long-term hours will be good for either PA or medical school.

For now you should just focus on your education and hospital volunteering. That is just my opinion because right now you don't know (in fact many students; freshman and transfers) how much you can really handle. My advice will not change despite your situation and this is in fact what I would suggest to many students starting out at a new place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand how you want to try your best to keep up with academia, but I was in a similar predicament once and what I came to realize is that all the same opportunities would still be there when I recovered. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back from life and putting all your energy into your recovery. I guarantee you that no adcom will ever hold it against you for being a year or two behind and having a hole in your resume while you underwent a major medical treatment. You'd be surprised how much of a toll it can take on your recovery if you have to fret over classwork. My honest advice would be to either completely withdraw and do the occasional volunteering/shadowing to figure out which career path you're most interested in, or to maybe maintain part-time status as a student and only take 1-2 light classes at a time.

Best of luck on your recovery! Keep your head up and feel free to reach out if you need someone to talk to! :)

I would suggest that due to current situation, you should really opt to take only 1 science course + lab (I would choose chem personally because you have to take up to biochem if you persist to go to medical school) during fall. One caveat to doing well in Lab (yes, these are tricky to get an A in because it is highly dependent on TA grading and many top schools have quotas) is to complete your reports earlier than they are due and then get it checked during TA office hours. This holds especially true because you are transitioning to a university and one which is challenging and known for hard premed courses like UVA/Umich/Berkeley. I would also recommend seeking courses with professors that are rated well. I would suggest asking your uni classmates about any internal rating websites where you can just type in your class type/professor and get insight onto how reasonably they grade. In many intro courses filled with 200 or so kids, the way professors grade and attest your work is not correlative with the amount of effort put in, especially when you consider that many don't teach all the material being tested in the lecture. However, whatever resources they do point to, they should contain all you need for exams.

I would suggest that while you are seeking treatment and studying, why don't you get information at your nearby hospital and sign up to be a volunteer? I think this should be your first EC that you add on because I regret having delayed my involvement in patient care. Even if you do just 2 hours a week, your long-term hours will be good for either PA or medical school.

For now you should just focus on your education and hospital volunteering. That is just my opinion because right now you don't know (in fact many students; freshman and transfers) how much you can really handle. My advice will not change despite your situation and this is in fact what I would suggest to many students starting out at a new place.

Thank you for your advice! At Chapel Hill, I can technically not take BIOL 101/101L due to my AP score, but because I have been away from the course since 2014-2015, I was planning to take it. Do you think that BIOL 101/101L and CHEM 101/101L will be too difficult? I have a decent background in Biology, but obviously, if I do major in the subject, or try to go into a career that requires biology knowledge, I want to be as prepared as I can be.

I'm hoping to get involved in volunteering. I've also been looking at professors on Rate My Professor in hopes of getting a new one. The 200+ person class thing is a concern for me as I generally like to get to know my professors and the idea of small class sizes, so I'm hoping that my transfer goes smoothly and that I am able to make UNC work out for me.

Thank you so much! I'm hoping to get involved in volunteering. I've also been looking at professors on Rate My Professor in hopes of getting a new one. The 200+ person class thing is a concern for me as I generally like to get to know my professors and the idea of small class sizes, so I'm hoping that my transfer goes smoothly and that I am able to make UNC work out for me.
*good not new

Do you think that it will be very difficult to do well in a 200+ person class?

I wouldn't worry about getting patient care hours just yet. With your ongoing treatment, transferring to a new school and your classes I think you should go slow for the first semester at least. Find some community service stuff that interests you. Maybe a soup kitchen or find a group the fixes dinners at the Ronald McDonald House. Anything that gets you involved. But remember to take care of yourself first. There will be plenty of time to get it all done. Read up on PAs v. MD v DO. And of course you have a chance of making it. But you have to be healthy first. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
thank you for your advice! The Ronald McDonald House seems like a good place to volunteer.

I understand how you want to try your best to keep up with academia, but I was in a similar predicament once and what I came to realize is that all the same opportunities would still be there when I recovered. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back from life and putting all your energy into your recovery. I guarantee you that no adcom will ever hold it against you for being a year or two behind and having a hole in your resume while you underwent a major medical treatment. You'd be surprised how much of a toll it can take on your recovery if you have to fret over classwork. My honest advice would be to either completely withdraw and do the occasional volunteering/shadowing to figure out which career path you're most interested in, or to maybe maintain part-time status as a student and only take 1-2 light classes at a time.

Best of luck on your recovery! Keep your head up and feel free to reach out if you need someone to talk to! :)
thank you for your advice. I have received similar advice from friends and family as well. I do agree to an extent and worry some that I will burn out from doing too much, but I also really enjoy school. I graduated from high school while undergoing treatment (with a 4.03 GPA) and have taken a total of 9 classes this year and will be taking statistics over the summer. Although most have been humanities, I have been able to keep up and do well. I plan to take no more than 15 credit hours in the Fall, but I'm actually leaning toward taking less. I do appreciate your advice. Do you think that two sciences will be too hard of an undertaking for the Fall of 2016?

Heal first.

What's your hurry? Med schools aren't going anywhere.

I have had several lymphoma survivors amongst my students, so it can be done, and good luck!!

In January of 2015, I was diagnosed with pediatric non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I had been interested in studying medicine prior to that. I'm thinking about PA school, MD, school, or a graduate program. Anyways, I spent a year at community college and although my treatment will continue until May of 2017, I am transferring to UNC-Chapel Hill in the fall. I spent most of this year taking general education credits that will transfer because I was having very heavy treatment through September and did not want my grades to suffer. I'm hoping to major in biology or psychology on the pre-med track. In the Fall, I'm planning to take Biology 101/101L, Chemistry 101/101L, the Spanish I test into, an English composition class, and maybe a fitness concern. I guess my biggest concern is getting the patient care hours I need and completing the courses despite my treatment. I won't be able to work with patients until May 2017 at the earliest. Although I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do in terms of MD/PA/etc., I don't want to ruin any possibility. Does anyone have any advice for me? Also do I stand a chance of making it?

Thank you for your advice! At Chapel Hill, I can technically not take BIOL 101/101L due to my AP score, but because I have been away from the course since 2014-2015, I was planning to take it. Do you think that BIOL 101/101L and CHEM 101/101L will be too difficult? I have a decent background in Biology, but obviously, if I do major in the subject, or try to go into a career that requires biology knowledge, I want to be as prepared as I can be.
I skipped the intro courses in which I got credit in, they are useless and only for those that have no basis on the subject. Intro bio can be easily picked up from your MCAT books and what you end up learning in classes is often modified to the professor's tune which I've noted is not so helpful for standardized tests. This is why I do no particularly like top school professors for a reason because what you need to learn, they don't teach or teach briefly and instead go into theory or confusing questions that really have no point in being asked (but that's just n=1). Skip your intro courses and try to make a feasible courseload that comprises of only 4 courses per semester (even if that means you taking bare minimum courseload your first few semesters). There is no shame in taking it easy if your gpa remains good. On the other other hand, there is a slippery slope when you do poorly by overloading. Don't get into the hype of your classmates who are taking this and that coursework. Here is an example) I knew someone who took bare min courseload and she was able to get over a 3.7 gpa. She utilized her AP coursework that got transferred to allow her to not be binded by university recommended hours. All the while, she was able to have a very successful medical school admissions cycle. At the end of the day if you hold a good gpa with whatever mix of classes, you are going to be relieved. I would also strongly recommend that you pick a major that is interesting to you but also not too top heavy that it overwhelms you. Too much stress is not good for your health in times of recovery, so take it easy.

I'm hoping to get involved in volunteering. I've also been looking at professors on Rate My Professor in hopes of getting a new one. The 200+ person class thing is a concern for me as I generally like to get to know my professors and the idea of small class sizes, so I'm hoping that my transfer goes smoothly and that I am able to make UNC work out for me.
My first year, only the sciences and 1 humanities course was over 150 students for me. The next semester, I made it a plan to have a small class setting and it wasn't too hard to find. Don't feel frightened to sign up with upper level humanities courses if you get ratings of the professor willing to help you get the grades with a good amount of initiative in your studies. I highly enjoyed my [20 some student] humanities classes (you can't really help it with the science courses...but you need that curve in those courses so I was fine with have as many people for a bell curve as possible). Humanities courses have writing assignments so I always made it a priority to take a small class where the professor was a good person and you could have a chat with and get notes on how to improve. As you do your research, you will certainly find the right professors. As for signing up for classes, you can get into them if you are persistently checking for spots opening as many students change their schedule even one day before classes open.

I think there may also be more than just the generic Rate My Professor website. I meant more of a university student-made ranking website. For that, I would call on your FB uni group to help.

Do you think that it will be very difficult to do well in a 200+ person class?
Not at all, but I think that in a humanities 200+ person class, you have to really look at professor who is teaching. I had one humanities course where the prof was awesome and I wrote down every single word of his in my notes. That and reading his assigned work did the "A" for me. Then I had this other 200+ humanities course where clearly writing down her words was driving me cray cause it was just her mumbling through. The assigned reading she had made no sense to read as it was thick with trivial info (think reading foreign artifact words and dates as a whole paragraph without any transitions or things that connected with the public). The students that wanted an A dropped that class after the first midterm and the only people who did get an A were upper classmen who had taken enough of the related major coursework that they were comfortable with the class, even things the professor didn't explicitly teach.

As mentioned, the science courses are >200 people but unlike humanities, if you choose a straightforward professor that just focuses on the book, you know that you can get ahead and do well with the class if you just keep up with the assigned chapters. There's also a lot of support because a lot of premeds are stuffed in these classes and will make the professor feel ample stressed to provide the right direction.
I didn't find any of the professors in chem 1 and 2 hard because I had taken gen chem in high school so whatever the professor didn't teach well, I had some inkling that I could clarify the matter myself.
When you do go onto orgo 1 and 2 and beyond, you want to be really careful about the professor you take. Just pick a straightforward professor from there on in because you know there is a pattern with which he structures his teaching. One of the professors who was upper lvl science taught things really fast and had interesting test formats. I knew from the first day, that I would have to teach everything to myself at my own pace but that was a big mistake I made. I had no basis on the course unlike gen science and I never learned a clear pattern as to how the prof asked questions. I made a mistake because there was another professor I was signed up beforehand and that prof was much more fitting to my way of learning. That prof also had better responses from students. So in truth, go with student evals when choosing classes because while you will still work hard, you will have a better way at handling your course-life.

Last edited:
Heal first.

What's your hurry? Med schools aren't going anywhere.

I have had several lymphoma survivors amongst my students, so it can be done, and good luck!!

I'm seriously considering taking at least one gap year in between medical/PA school. I also think it would be a good way to get more patient care hours. But I am also one of those people who struggles with relearning information after a lot of time away. I also just really like school. I'm hoping to not exceed 15 hours (at least while I'm still undergoing treatment for the next year) and hopefully will be taking less than that.

I skipped the intro courses in which I got credit in, they are useless and only for those that have no basis on the subject. Intro bio can be easily picked up from your MCAT books and what you end up learning in classes is often modified to the professor's tune which I've noted is not so helpful for standardized tests. This is why I do no particularly like top school professors for a reason because what you need to learn, they don't teach or teach briefly and instead go into theory or confusing questions that really have no point in being asked (but that's just n=1). Skip your intro courses and try to make a feasible courseload that comprises of only 4 courses per semester (even if that means you taking bare minimum courseload your first few semesters). There is no shame in taking it easy if your gpa remains good. On the other other hand, there is a slippery slope when you do poorly by overloading. Don't get into the hype of your classmates who are taking this and that coursework. Here is an example) I knew someone who took bare min courseload and she was able to get over a 3.7 gpa. She utilized her AP coursework that got transferred to allow her to not be binded by university recommended hours. All the while, she was able to have a very successful medical school admissions cycle. At the end of the day if you hold a good gpa with whatever mix of classes, you are going to be relieved. I would also strongly recommend that you pick a major that is interesting to you but also not too top heavy that it overwhelms you. Too much stress is not good for your health in times of recovery, so take it easy.

My first year, only the sciences and 1 humanities course was over 150 students for me. The next semester, I made it a plan to have a small class setting and it wasn't too hard to find. Don't feel frightened to sign up with upper level humanities courses if you get ratings of the professor willing to help you get the grades with a good amount of initiative in your studies. I highly enjoyed my [20 some student] humanities classes (you can't really help it with the science courses...but you need that curve in those courses so I was fine with have as many people for a bell curve as possible). Humanities courses have writing assignments so I always made it a priority to take a small class where the professor was a good person and you could have a chat with and get notes on how to improve. As you do your research, you will certainly find the right professors. As for signing up for classes, you can get into them if you are persistently checking for spots opening as many students change their schedule even one day before classes open.

I think there may also be more than just the generic Rate My Professor website. I meant more of a university student-made ranking website. For that, I would call on your FB uni group to help.

Not at all, but I think that in a humanities 200+ person class, you have to really look at professor who is teaching. I had one humanities course where the prof was awesome and I wrote down every single word of his in my notes. That and reading his assigned work did the "A" for me. Then I had this other 200+ humanities course where clearly writing down her words was driving me cray cause it was just her mumbling through. The assigned reading she had made no sense to read as it was thick with trivial info (think reading foreign artifact words and dates as a whole paragraph without any transitions or things that connected with the public). The students that wanted an A dropped that class after the first midterm and the only people who did get an A were upper classmen who had taken enough of the related major coursework that they were comfortable with the class, even things the professor didn't explicitly teach.

As mentioned, the science courses are >200 people but unlike humanities, if you choose a straightforward professor that just focuses on the book, you know that you can get ahead and do well with the class if you just keep up with the assigned chapters. There's also a lot of support because a lot of premeds are stuffed in these classes and will make the professor feel ample stressed to provide the right direction.
I didn't find any of the professors in chem 1 and 2 hard because I had taken gen chem in high school so whatever the professor didn't teach well, I had some inkling that I could clarify the matter myself.
When you do go onto orgo 1 and 2 and beyond, you want to be really careful about the professor you take. Just pick a straightforward professor from there on in because you know there is a pattern with which he structures his teaching. One of the professors who was upper lvl science taught things really fast and had interesting test formats. I knew from the first day, that I would have to teach everything to myself at my own pace but that was a big mistake I made. I had no basis on the course unlike gen science and I never learned a clear pattern as to how the prof asked questions. I made a mistake because there was another professor I was signed up beforehand and that prof was much more fitting to my way of learning. That prof also had better responses from students. So in truth, go with student evals when choosing classes because while you will still work hard, you will have a better way at handling your course-life.

Okay, thanks. I'm kind of torn about the big school thing because I'm ecstatic to be going there next year, but am also concerned about the size. Prior to getting sick, I only had applied to two schools that were roughly the size of Chapel Hill. Most were small LAC's and a few around the 10,000 undergrad range. I know I can always transfer, but I've already been through the admissions process twice now and of course it would be nice to find a good fit. Plus I'm worried it would look funny to change schools twice. Do you think that it would? I'll look into a better source than Rate My Professor.

I think that going to a big school has its advantages too. In most private LACs, they do not accept course transfers for that most part (or have stringent high score policies). The summer courses (suppose science) are also limited to null. Whereas, with bigger schools, you have more options on which professor you can take, when to take the courses, and plan whichever major you like with the benefit of many established programs. Don't get anxious, it is your perspective that needs to change. If you want a small environment, take small classes. Otherwise, look into certain colleges within the university that have tight group majors. A lot of small major programs have fall open-houses to recruit students. If you are worried about finishing in the traditional 4 years, I think you should stay put with the regular majors that you begin as freshman. But there are many programs too that students begin right at junior year, the first 2 years are just gen eds and then the last 2 are major related. It is up to you to explore and find out.

Reactions: 1 user