Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kicki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people, i just found this blog, i am an italian student, graduated last year from high school but didn't make to vet school. Here i try to explaine why, basically to be a vet student, here in italy you've to take a test and that one will decide if you can start vet school or not, i pretty failed and so i didnt't make it. because of that, the last months were so frustating and sad, but they helped me realise i really want to be a vet, so i am pushing my self to succeed this time!! the test will be in september and i can already feel anxiety through my body fearing i wont make it this time too, so how do you do and stay calm and don't let anxiety be over you?
have a good day:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do ALOT of yoga. And I run too. It takes your mind off what you need to study/ what's due and hits the reset button.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I do ALOT of yoga. And I run too. It takes your mind off what you need to study/ what's due and hits the reset button.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
can't resist...
AlotOfExercise.png

(pssst. A lot is 2 separate words. Hyperbole and a half has an excellent blog on it :) )

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello people, i just found this blog, i am an italian student, graduated last year from high school but didn't make to vet school. Here i try to explaine why, basically to be a vet student, here in italy you've to take a test and that one will decide if you can start vet school or not, i pretty failed and so i didnt't make it. because of that, the last months were so frustating and sad, but they helped me realise i really want to be a vet, so i am pushing my self to succeed this time!! the test will be in september and i can already feel anxiety through my body fearing i wont make it this time too, so how do you do and stay calm and don't let anxiety be over you?
have a good day:)

Mostly curiosity, but we don't have an equivalent in the US since we go to a university first and then apply for veterinary school. What is the test like, and what does it cover?

Also, how is the weather in Italy?

I have always had an anxiety issue and have just recently learned how to somewhat deal with it. I find that surrounding yourself with friends and family really help. My family used to ask me about vet school ALL THE TIME, which stressed me out more because I felt as if I wasn't living up to their expectations, but I've just learned to either not respond or respond in short answers then change the subject. In time, family members just learned to stop asking because they knew that I would let them know if anything with my vet school application/journey changed or was worth mentioning.

As for studying, I would set a specific amount of time each day just for studying. I would turn my phone and laptop off (if I didn't need it) and really just try to learn the material I needed. I would also take breaks when I feel like I've really learned a subject, then go back to studying again until my "time was up". Find something that works for you. I think the most important part about studying is limiting your distractions.

Also, I know this sounds simple, but do things that make you happy EVERYDAY. Watch movies, read books, exercise, go on a walk... I find that when you are doing something that's fun and enjoyable, you tend to lose track of time (which means that you aren't wasting that time being stressed or anxious!).

Try not to think too far ahead. Your test is in September, you still have plenty of time to study and prepare yourself. Make a study plan and really try to learn the material the best you can. Take things day by day. I know this is easier said than done, but don't think about potentially failing the test again... Take that energy to motivate yourself to do things so you WON'T fail. By the time the test comes, you'll be so well prepared you'll see that all this worry was for nothing ;).

PS. I studied abroad in Italy for a summer during college and it was the best time of my life! I dream about going back some day. :)

Mostly curiosity, but we don't have an equivalent in the US since we go to a university first and then apply for veterinary school. What is the test like, and what does it cover?

Also, how is the weather in Italy?
the test includes 24 logical reasoning, 2 general questions, 16 bio, 12 chemistry, 6 math and physics questions, for a total of 60 questions, the best score you can do it's 90 but practically no one has ever did that, the minimum to do to enter in the college i wanna go to is 36, and last year i only made 26.70. So many people hate this kinda of selection cause basically all you did on high school means nothing and so your chances are all on that test, on that day. they do this for med, vet and design school.
the weather where i live it's always kinda of warm, i live (near Pompei) like not so far away from the sea, and right now it's 23 C. (not bad at all haha)

I have always had an anxiety issue and have just recently learned how to somewhat deal with it. I find that surrounding yourself with friends and family really help. My family used to ask me about vet school ALL THE TIME, which stressed me out more because I felt as if I wasn't living up to their expectations, but I've just learned to either not respond or respond in short answers then change the subject. In time, family members just learned to stop asking because they knew that I would let them know if anything with my vet school application/journey changed or was worth mentioning.

As for studying, I would set a specific amount of time each day just for studying. I would turn my phone and laptop off (if I didn't need it) and really just try to learn the material I needed. I would also take breaks when I feel like I've really learned a subject, then go back to studying again until my "time was up". Find something that works for you. I think the most important part about studying is limiting your distractions.

Also, I know this sounds simple, but do things that make you happy EVERYDAY. Watch movies, read books, exercise, go on a walk... I find that when you are doing something that's fun and enjoyable, you tend to lose track of time (which means that you aren't wasting that time being stressed or anxious!).

Try not to think too far ahead. Your test is in September, you still have plenty of time to study and prepare yourself. Make a study plan and really try to learn the material the best you can. Take things day by day. I know this is easier said than done, but don't think about potentially failing the test again... Take that energy to motivate yourself to do things so you WON'T fail. By the time the test comes, you'll be so well prepared you'll see that all this worry was for nothing ;).

PS. I studied abroad in Italy for a summer during college and it was the best time of my life! I dream about going back some day. :)
Wow this really was all i was looking for. thank you for writing those words, they mean a lot to me. i usually struggle with distractions like phone and laptop but i'll try to switch them off, and also make a study plane cause i think it is much easier to know what's left and what's already done. I think i get you about family asking questions all the time, considering the fact when i failed my vet test, they told me, "oh come on, apply for another school maybe vet school it's not for you" so i applied for business school but i felt like lost, cause i knew it wasn't the right place for me, what came after, were sadness and really hard time cause i felt i've dissappointed them.
but now i don't regret my quitting business school choice, hoping it is worth the while.
I'll also try to take things day by day. THANK YOU!! Oh and where did you study?:)

Last edited:
the test includes 24 logical reasoning, 2 general questions, 16 bio, 12 chemistry, 6 math and physics questions, for a total of 60 questions, the best score you can do it's 90 but practically no one has ever did that, the minimum to do to enter in the college i wanna go to is 36, and last year i only made 26.70. So many people hate this kinda of selection cause basically all you did on high school means nothing and so your chances are all on that test, on that day. they do this for med, vet and design school.
the weather where i live it's always kinda of warm, i live (near Pompei) like not so far away from the sea, and right now it's 23 C. (not bad at all haha)

Are there materials (books, websites, youtube videos) that are designed to help with important concepts or topics covered in the exam? Make sure you take advantage of whatever is available as far as that goes. Otherwise, studying every day for several months will do you a lot of good, just stay focused and make sure you follow through.

As for the weather, that sounds awful nice. Can't imagine living close to Pompeii - that's pretty neat. I might miss snow eventually, though.

Wow this really was all i was looking for. thank you for writing those words, they mean a lot to me. i usually struggle with distractions like phone and laptop but i'll try to switch them off, and also make a study plane cause i think it is much easier to know what's left and what's already done. I think i get you about family asking questions all the time, considering the fact when i failed my vet test, they told me, "oh come on, apply for another school maybe vet school it's not for you" so i applied for business school but i felt like lost, cause i knew it wasn't the right place for me, what came after, were sadness and really hard time cause i felt i've dissappointed them.
but now i don't regret my quitting business school choice, hoping it is worth the while.
I'll also try to take things day by day. THANK YOU!! Oh and where did you study?:)
I wasn't accepted anywhere when I applied this past year, so imagine my family asking about it. Having to repeat "I wasn't accepted" multiple times to many different people was really hard for me. Plus, my mom is kind of a blabbermouth so she kept telling everyone (family members I don't keep in contact with and her friends). Then people I barely even knew were mentioning it to me if I happen to see them one day :hungover:. If your parents are really pushing you to take another career path, then you should let them know how you really want to be a vet and what you are doing to try to accomplish that. It is one thing for them to hear that you want to be a vet than if they actually see you trying your hardest to accomplish that. In the US, we take a GRE test that is required for all schools. I had to take the test 3 times before I got a score I was happy with. Since you are not in school anymore, it should be easier to manage your time. Just remember that anything that is on your phone or laptop will still be there after an hour so stow those away while studying ;).

I think it's actually a good thing you tried going to business school. You never would have known you didn't like it if you didn't try. There comes a point during life where you have to make your own decisions and sometimes your parents won't be happy about it, but it seems to all work out in the end! I used to compare my self with my peers (many of them wanted to be a vet) through out college and I found that I was always a step behind them. We're all the same age, but they've all gone to vet school last year while I didn't get accepted anywhere. It really made me think "what is wrong with me?" But I've learned (took me forever to realize this) that even though I don't know what the key to success is, the key to failure is trying to please everybody. Remember, worrying won't stop bad things from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good things in your life.

Sorry I wrote so much, but I just want to let people know how I deal with my anxiety. It really took me until this year to finally figure it out. I wish I could have figured it out when I was in high school and college, since I would have enjoyed life so much more! Oh and I studied art and food culture in Florence! I miss it so much!!

Are there materials (books, websites, youtube videos) that are designed to help with important concepts or topics covered in the exam? Make sure you take advantage of whatever is available as far as that goes. Otherwise, studying every day for several months will do you a lot of good, just stay focused and make sure you follow through.

As for the weather, that sounds awful nice. Can't imagine living close to Pompeii - that's pretty neat. I might miss snow eventually, though.
Actually there are so many things available, not unlucky on that point.
AHahaha living close to Pompei is infact pretty neat, but sometimes we have snow too, it usually happens in December or January as well.

I wasn't accepted anywhere when I applied this past year, so imagine my family asking about it. Having to repeat "I wasn't accepted" multiple times to many different people was really hard for me. Plus, my mom is kind of a blabbermouth so she kept telling everyone (family members I don't keep in contact with and her friends). Then people I barely even knew were mentioning it to me if I happen to see them one day :hungover:. If your parents are really pushing you to take another career path, then you should let them know how you really want to be a vet and what you are doing to try to accomplish that. It is one thing for them to hear that you want to be a vet than if they actually see you trying your hardest to accomplish that. In the US, we take a GRE test that is required for all schools. I had to take the test 3 times before I got a score I was happy with. Since you are not in school anymore, it should be easier to manage your time. Just remember that anything that is on your phone or laptop will still be there after an hour so stow those away while studying ;).

I think it's actually a good thing you tried going to business school. You never would have known you didn't like it if you didn't try. There comes a point during life where you have to make your own decisions and sometimes your parents won't be happy about it, but it seems to all work out in the end! I used to compare my self with my peers (many of them wanted to be a vet) through out college and I found that I was always a step behind them. We're all the same age, but they've all gone to vet school last year while I didn't get accepted anywhere. It really made me think "what is wrong with me?" But I've learned (took me forever to realize this) that even though I don't know what the key to success is, the key to failure is trying to please everybody. Remember, worrying won't stop bad things from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good things in your life.

Sorry I wrote so much, but I just want to let people know how I deal with my anxiety. It really took me until this year to finally figure it out. I wish I could have figured it out when I was in high school and college, since I would have enjoyed life so much more! Oh and I studied art and food culture in Florence! I miss it so much!!
Don't mind!! When i finished reading i was like "oh i wish there was more to read" you are really good at this haha. Couldn't be more agree on the parents/friends situation, it was hard, no one I know wanted actually to be in vet school but in anycase they're in college now, situation whichmakes you really sad at the first but then you realise, it's my life not theirs. And yea lately i took like a really serious conversation with my mum and i think she gets how it means to me by now. I'm so happy it worked out for you at the end, proof if you believe in something you get it someday. As for " worrying won't stop bad things from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good things in your life." quote, so good you literally SMASHED the point!!
Oh Florence, even if i live almost 500km, i really think it's Italy's most beautiful city, so comprehensible you miss it haha.