Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Somewhere on earth
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I feel so odd posting my topic among the others where everyone is ahead of where I am in my college career. Anyway, I just wanted to ask you my chances of getting accepted into dental school. My first semester didn't go well (I got a 3.0 GPA), but I'm hoping I can pull off a 3.5ish this semester to get roughly 3.3 overall. I'm aiming for UMDNJ, so is my GPA too low to gain admission (btw I'm instate)? Should I start studying for the DAT now?

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
Aero047 said:
I feel so odd posting my topic among the others where everyone is ahead of where I am in my college career. Anyway, I just wanted to ask you my chances of getting accepted into dental school. My first semester didn't go well (I got a 3.0 GPA), but I'm hoping I can pull off a 3.5ish this semester to get roughly 3.3 overall. I'm aiming for UMDNJ, so is my GPA too low to gain admission (btw I'm instate)? Should I start studying for the DAT now?
Hi Aero, what year are you in college right now?

I'm attending UMDNJ this upcoming Fall, but I applied as an out-of-stater, so I don't know how different the process would be for me vs. in-staters. Either way, I'd be glad to give you a heads up, based on my experiences. As for whether or not you should start studying for the DAT, usually about 3 months is a good amount of time to dedicate to studying for it...although, it really depends on where you currently are in your college career. The Organic chem section, for example, will be hard to grasp if you haven't taken it in school yet. Let me know where you are in the process, ok? :)

OP
Aero047

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Somewhere on earth
Status
Irene010 said:
Hi Aero, what year are you in college right now?

I'm attending UMDNJ this upcoming Fall, but I applied as an out-of-stater, so I don't know how different the process would be for me vs. in-staters. Either way, I'd be glad to give you a heads up, based on my experiences. As for whether or not you should start studying for the DAT, usually about 3 months is a good amount of time to dedicate to studying for it...although, it really depends on where you currently are in your college career. The Organic chem section, for example, will be hard to grasp if you haven't taken it in school yet. Let me know where you are in the process, ok? :)
Thanks for your reply. I know I've been annoying the hell out of everyone here. Anyway, I'm a second semester freshman...hopefully I didn't screw myself over for not starting off to well?

NCdds

Louisville 2009
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
NC -> KY
Status
You still have a lot of time left in your college career! You can def. bring that GPA up, and adcoms want to see improve of your grades during your undergrad years. I don't know that much specifically about UMDNJ, but don't give up hope yet, keep working hard to improve that GPA!

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
you are def in okay shape right now.

just concentrate on your studies right now to bring that gpa around 3.3 and maybe 3.4 b/c by the time you graduate dental school application will probably more competitve than it is right now. right now a 3.3 can get you in easily.

when dat comes around not for another 2 years you should study a good amount of time and kick its arse so there won't be any doubts about why they shouldn't accept you.

now have fun in college.. it isn'tt going to get any better than where you are at :)

William Olympus

D.M.D.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Yeah, Aero, you're in fine shape. My freshman year didn't go well (apparently I had difficulty adjusting), and I didn't graduate with a stellar GPA. Just enjoy yourself and get involved with activities and what have you. If you do well in Orgo, general Chem, and Bio you'll already be well prepared for the DAT. You'll be fine!

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
Aero....you have sooooooo much time to improve your gpa. By the end of my freshman year, I only had a 3.0 cumulative, and I don't even want to think about what my science gpa was. By the time I applied to dental school, I a 3.65 cum and a 3.45 science. You'd be surprised how some good grades over the next two years can work wonders for you. And don't worry about the DAT yet....you don't have enough background to really prepare for it efficiently yet.

I think as in in-state applicant at UMDNJ you'll have a good shot, and you seem like you have your priorities straight, so I don't think you'll have much trouble beefing up your application. I'd say try pulling that gpa up to about a 3.5 (just to be on the safe side, b/c each cycle is getting more competative). If you have any other questions, don't hesitate... :)

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
You've got lots of time to improve. Half the battle is realizing that you need to improve, and you're on the right track.

Just remember that the further along you get (more credits you earn) the more difficult it is to make a change in your overall GPA (a 4.0 your final semester won't raise your GPA much, whereas a 4.0 this coming semester, or even when you are a sophomore, will do wonders for the GPA).

OP
Aero047

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Somewhere on earth
Status
OMG you guys are so great..thanks for the encouragement. Your words only make me wanna work even harder.

Can I give you guys a big hug? :)