advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrisketAttack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took NBME 6 before studying on 5/12 and scored 590/238. I spent the next 19 days studying 16 hours per day with no breaks. I took NBME 3 yesterday and scored 770/263. I am scheduled to take step 1 on 6/19. Should I wait or move my test up? I cannot believe my scores. When I started studying I would have been happy with a 230 on step 1, but now I think i can probably do better than that. the problem is, by studying so damn hard for the last 20 days i feel wasted and burned out. today i haven't done **** and feel like i'm already losing whatever ground i gained by pushing so hard for the last 3 weeks.

the problem is, i haven't made my way thru uworld or kaplan qbank very far at all (30 and 50 percent respectively), and i feel i should probably see more of these questions before i take the real exam. any advice from someone who's already taken this filthy horrible beast from hell?

Members don't see this ad.

Move your test if it is convenient. If not, then change gears and spend a lot of time over the next week or two doing qbank questions and going through resources that are a little more interesting and not so much of a grind. i.e., listen to the youtube shotgun pathology/histology video set, or cruise wikipedia for a couple of hours each day reading about medically related stuff that you find interesting, or pick up a medical book that isn't at all geared for board review but that you've been wanting to read "just for the heck of it" (could be big Robbins for path, or a stack of NEJM, or an off-the-wall text on the field you're most interested in, or whatever). Just keep your mind engaged in something. And then for a week or so before your test gear back up and do a good thorough review (through FA once, and hit all of the rote-memorization lists that you know you are likely to forget, like a lot of pharm, biochem, tumor markers/genetics, etc.).

For what it's worth I'd bump mine up if I could, once you get to a certain point you'll just start forgetting things. THose I know who have moved up their test dates after performing well early were happy they did as they had more time to relax before third year started gearing up.