Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well i am scheduled to take my MCAT Sept 3rd. My scores are not where I want them to be. I will take the exam, then retake it in Jan. Is that fine? I voided it before but I will just take it now.

I feel like I am getting old. I am 22 years now. I would have to wait two years. I know it is the average age for enrollment.

I want to make sure I take advantage of this, so what can I do to make myself a stronger applicant. I will be doing my master.

What will make me stand out for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, you're not old at all nor will you be if you start when you're 24.

You say your scores aren't where you want them to be. Where are they and where do you think they should be?

Doing your master's will probably make you stand out at least a little, but make sure you're staying busy while you're not in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, you're not old at all nor will you be if you start when you're 24.

You say your scores aren't where you want them to be. Where are they and where do you think they should be?

Doing your master's will probably make you stand out at least a little, but make sure you're staying busy while you're not in school.

My score is in the low 20s. i want to shot for high 30.

What do you mean a little? Just wondering.

I will volunteer in the hospital and do shadowing.

What jobs should I look for? Any suggestions? I have a biology degree.

I meant it literally. There are quite a few people in my class with graduate degrees of some sort, but you'll still be in the minority.

As for jobs, try to get a job as a tech of some kind. Those are typically the most clinically intensive positions.

Then what can I do to stand out?

I meant it literally. There are quite a few people in my class with graduate degrees of some sort, but you'll still be in the minority.

As for jobs, try to get a job as a tech of some kind. Those are typically the most clinically intensive positions.

Can I get a tech job without being licensed?

Can I work in the hospital without a license?

Then what can I do to stand out?

My score is in the low 20s. i want to shot for high 30.

I will volunteer in the hospital and do shadowing.

What jobs should I look for? Any suggestions? I have a biology degree.

The difference between scoring low 20's and high 30's is immense, and I would take that one step at a time. Shoot for low 30's and you will make that area a little easier on yourself.

Some tech jobs do require some certification, but most aren't more than a night class at a community college for a while(at least the ones in my area are like this). You could also get a job as a nurse assistant. At the hospital that I volunteered at, they do a 1 week class where they train you the things you need to know to do your job. It is also very clinically intense.

If you want a job where you can actually use your degree (the other one I talked about require a HS diploma) you could get a research gig, or work someplace like a blood bank as an example.

As the for the masters, unless you feel like the degree you get can be justified by actually using it in your future career, go for it. Masters should only be used for your own personal enlightenment IMHO