Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarKTee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hold a bachelor's degree in computer science and have decided to pursue a career in the medical field. What exactly...not totally sure yet. I have a few questions so any advice would help.

1. If I decided to pursue to become a Physician Assistant, seeing as though I have no medical experience (besides being a pathology lad aide while in college), what would you recommend as a good certificate program for me to go into? CNA? EKG Tech?

2. Taking pre-reqs at community college...would this be a disadvantage? I've heard dental schools for example, do not like this.

3. Bankruptcy. How will a bankruptcy affect my application, and job prospects after school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This was me about 4 years ago, including the computer science background. I started with an EMT-Basic class, which lasted 6 weeks, and then started volunteering in hospitals afterwards. Many people in my EMT class were going the PA route and started working in transport right away.
I would advise against taking your pre-reqs at a community college. I think this is frowned upon.
I would talk to an advisor about the bankruptcy issue. Your credit score will affect your ability to get loans through your educational institution.
Do a search on bankruptcy for more info. Below is a thread pertaining to this issue:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589014&highlight=bankruptcy

Good Luck!

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hold a bachelor's degree in computer science and have decided to pursue a career in the medical field. What exactly...not totally sure yet. I have a few questions so any advice would help.

1. If I decided to pursue to become a Physician Assistant, seeing as though I have no medical experience (besides being a pathology lad aide while in college), what would you recommend as a good certificate program for me to go into? CNA? EKG Tech?

2. Taking pre-reqs at community college...would this be a disadvantage? I've heard dental schools for example, do not like this.

3. Bankruptcy. How will a bankruptcy affect my application, and job prospects after school?

Thanks!

Well I can tell you that taking the pre-req courses at a 4 year university opens more doors since some schools (especially the private and competitive ones) do frown upon you taking those classes at a 2 year community college. My understanding is that most state universities are OK with community college courses (since state schools, like community college, are public institutions) - however, private medical and dental schools are more stringent about applicants who take courses at community colleges (they have more control over their admissions criteria) and either won't accept CC credit or will put it in a less competitive category because of the community college credits.

As for the bankruptcy part, it likely won't affect your ability to get into a school or to get student loans. However, like a criminal record, it will make life a lot harder after you graduate. I know that employers and the hospital where I work run a credit check before they hire you. They could theoretically revoke your employment application if they feel you're a financial risk. In other workplace, your ability to get a promotion or to renew contract is also contigent upon your credit history. And I probably won't even need to spell out how difficult it would be for you to get loan, get mortage, or sign a housing rental with that black on your credit history. I would highly recommend that you get in touch with a financial counselor before you proceed with any plans like going to PA or dental school.

Thanks guys for the responses

Do any of you have any thoughts on CNA, EMT-B, or EKG Tech as a means of getting experience? I also have to take into account financially which one of these will allow me to pay the bills while I go to school.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a listing of EMT-B schools in/around Chicago?

Avoid community colleges.

You may get to find work as a medical assistant. You don't necessarily need formal training to do that.

Also, are we talking about Chapter 7, 11, or 13?