Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WANNAMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN

I am an AA freshman undergrad premed who needs advice on how I can become a competitive applicant to med school. I know that I have a long time before I am in the places most of you are in but I would like to know from you guys what can be done...I completed my first sem in college and currently I have a 4.0 sGPA (completed both Gchems w labs and the first half of bio w lab) and unfortunately a 3.64 cGPA....am I on the right track or will my gpa steadily decrease considering it will only get harder?

also when you guys were undergrad premeds...what did you consider the most difficult classes?

and my final questions are when should i begin preparing for the MCAT and do i need to find a summer program this year you just take a break?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN

I am an AA freshman undergrad premed who needs advice on how I can become a competitive applicant to med school. I know that I have a long time before I am in the places most of you are in but I would like to know from you guys what can be done...I completed my first sem in college and currently I have a 4.0 sGPA (completed both Gchems w labs and the first half of bio w lab) and unfortunately a 3.64 cGPA....am I on the right track or will my gpa steadily decrease considering it will only get harder?

A 4.0 science GPA and a 3.6+ cummulative GPA for your first semester in college is not bad. What is more important is what you learned from that semester to help you do better. It is interesting that you had a harder time getting As in your non-science classes than the science ones. For most students its the other way around. You should try to figure out what you need to tweak so that you can be running on all 8 cylinders. So I definitely think you are on the right track in terms of grades but I would encourage you to strive to get As in everything if you can. Med schools like to see upward trends. Classes will get progressively harder but your study skills will mature and you won't really notice it as much.

also when you guys were undergrad premeds...what did you consider the most difficult classes?

Back in the day when I was in college, lol (2003-2007), the hardest classes were Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Cell and Molecular Biology. This is is truly school specific so ask the upper classmen at your institution which classes you should look out for.

and my final questions are when should i begin preparing for the MCAT and do i need to find a summer program this year you just take a break?

I honestly think you should do something each year. At this point you can do a mission trip or a summer research program. Learn your coursework well because that will help you to do the best on the MCAT but I wouldn't start studying extensively for it until the summer before you take it. Just my .02.

Hello SDN

Doctajay has given you some great advice. I will add that no particular course was any more difficult than the next course. Different courses will require different skill and learning styles. You have to be confident that you have (or will acquire) the skills necessary to master any course work that you will be presented with.

You are on the right track in terms of making sure that your grades stay high. This generally means that your keep about the business of getting your academics done and "party hard" on those vacations. Also, Doctajay is correct in that you should try to expose yourself to any reseach (or mission) opportunities that may be at your college/university.

Often finding these opportunites may mean asking your professors (or any graduate students) about their research interests. Then head off to the library to find some papers that your professors may have written. Also keep in mind that any professor at your school (or a nearby school) can apply for an NIH supplemental grant to pay for you to do reseach during the summer. You can get some experience and get paid too.

In addition, there are minority research fellowships at NIH that pay quite well for summer research. Go to the NIH site NIH and look under "Training" opportunities both intramural and extramural (student level). These can pay for you to travel to DC and pay you too in addition to providing you with mentorship.

Right now, concentrate on learning math and english academic skills as they are important tools that help with your future coursework and with your critical evaluation skills. I can't tell you how much my solid math background helped with my science studies and research.

Don't let yourself talk yourself out of doing well in any course. At the first sign of trouble, get in to see the professor and stay on track. Your goals are long term and require some careful planning and discipline. So far, you are on your way but don't let anyone or anything "side-track" you.

Also, feel free to PM anyone on this website (read Doctajay's blog too) for assistance. They are here to help. Good luck!

Hello SDN

Are you on the right track? You in a way have the answer to this question. If you were to apply today with your GPAs' would you be in good shape? If this is answer is a resounding yes than yes you are on the right track...if the answer is no, than no you are not on the right track. Make every semester GPA as high as you would want it to be when you apply. For example, I have aspiration to attend Columbia College of Physicans and Surgeons the average GPA is roughly a 3.8. So every semester I aspire to acquire a 3.8 or higher GPA. Every semester I failed to do so I feel I am not on the right track. More, importantly "Did you learn something?" is the question you should ask yourself.

It should not steadily decrease because you should be more than ever looking to improve your study habits (thus your grades should increase). Individuals in the "A" range rarely see thier grades change from semester to semester. Why? Because they find something that works and continue to do it only improving as they go along. I am usually always in the top 5-10% of my classes. As you move along you will see fimilar faces in the same grade range from class to class (they usually sit in the front)..especially in the science. If you are in the "A" range you have nothing to fear unless you have a notoriously hard class looming in which you should prepare yourself (pickaprof can help you figure which of these classes will be "notorioulsy" hard).

The most difficult class I have taken so far is Biology I. At my school it is very difficult a 36% drop rate and less than 10% As'. Organic Chemistry was a joke compared to this class. But this depends on the school different schools have different classes to weedout the "unworthy" haha. Pickaprof can help you find those classes at your university.

You should begin preparing for the MCAT after all your prereqs are completed. Pick up 101 verbal passage by EK if you are really itching to get started, working on these passages cannot hurt. I am a big proponent of summer programs. I have done two so far and I may do another one this summer. haha, it resulted in me being a bit behind in my classes and having to take an extra semester. However, I think it is worth it, on these trips I learned a lot about myself and I think it added a little something to my application.

I suggest you never waste any break you have. Always try to get something completed whether it be a book,applications.. something. Keep your mind active. It is important.

I wish you all the luck