advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhisle0932

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the biology requirment. I realize that it says you need 1 full year of general biology. But if I took a principles of biology class and an Anatomy class. Would those count to equal my full year of biology?

Members don't see this ad.

technically, yes. But you may want to take some other coursework to enhance your background in bio. Will help with the MCAT eventually and in MS1 year.

Well what would you recommend? Our school only offers one Principles of biology class, the only others I could think of are Zoology, Microbiology, and Genetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
The requirements are quite vague from each school:

ex. from harvard:
one year with laboratory experience. Courses taken should deal with the cellular and molecular aspects as well as the structure and function of living organisms. Advanced placement credits cannot be used to satisfy this requirement; upper level courses should be taken if granted advanced placement credits.

Does a general anatomy course count in that? Not sure.

Microbiology courses will most likely have a lot of similar material from cell bio courses in the biology core. If you are unsure, just call a few schools you think you will apply to.

What about me being a nursing major is that going to affect my chance at acceptance. I have not applied to the nursing program yet but I plan to soon. I mean I have a 3.5 GPA with a 3.4 Science GPA.

Not sure about the major, I would post a new thread about that. GPA is on the fringe, but it seems like you are still early on. I would focus on bringing that to about a 3.6, could help out a lot. Matriculants avg. around a 3.65