Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stina2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me give some background to my story. I have been dating a guy in Neurosurgery (PY-6) at a pretty good program. I unfortunately didn't get a peds interview at that hospital. We always thought that we would do the long distance thing until he was done and then he would join me wherever I ended up matching. Now we are engaged, and the idea of living for 2 years apart isn't as appealing. In the past this hospital has gone un-matched. I did get a handful of interviews for peds this year, and now with just 2 days before our ROL are due, I'm thinking that I will not rank anything with the hopes that I will be able to scramble into this program. Does anyone have any advice for me? I tried emailing the program while they were interviewing, pretty much begging them to consider me, but they never emailed me back. If anyone has any advice, please share. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told by my advisors, you want to avoid the scramble at all costs! Just because the program you are interested in went un-filled some years after the match is no guarantee that it will be the same this year. AND even if they are some unfilled positions available for scramble there is no guarantee that they will accept you into the program, esp. since you said they didn't offer you an interview even after you contacted them. Remember there will be other applicants in the scramble.

Yes, it would be unfortunate to be away from your fiance for 2 years. But I guess you have to ask yourself would you rather be away from them for 2 years or risk going unmatched and having to go through this all again next year and still potentially not matching into that program and by then your SO would only have one more year left at that program.

My advice would be to go through the match this year and rank programs that are geographically close to your fiance. Not ideal, but I think it is better than going unmatched.

Let me give some background to my story. I have been dating a guy in Neurosurgery (PY-6) at a pretty good program. I unfortunately didn't get a peds interview at that hospital. We always thought that we would do the long distance thing until he was done and then he would join me wherever I ended up matching. Now we are engaged, and the idea of living for 2 years apart isn't as appealing. In the past this hospital has gone un-matched. I did get a handful of interviews for peds this year, and now with just 2 days before our ROL are due, I'm thinking that I will not rank anything with the hopes that I will be able to scramble into this program. Does anyone have any advice for me? I tried emailing the program while they were interviewing, pretty much begging them to consider me, but they never emailed me back. If anyone has any advice, please share. Thanks so much!

The real question is are you willing to give up the year for the slight chance that you might be able to scramble into the program? You have to weigh for yourself how important career is to you and discuss it with your fiancee. Obviously money won't be too much of an issue with your husband becoming a neurosurgeon, so the idea of losing one year of pediatric attending salary down the road probably isn't too horrifying to you. But certainly you might not match as well next year as you would have done this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you decide? Best of luck either way!!

Thanks for all the advice. I ranked all the programs I interviewed at. We are going to do the long distance thing.