predental89

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey SDN,

Is it bad that I got a B in organic chemistry 1? my teacher was ridiculous and I was 27 points from an A and he wouldn't give it to me but I worked my ass off for this class :/. Also I was wondering if we need 3 quarters for dental schools? cause for my major I only need 1 and 2.

Thank You in advance

Aug 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey SDN,

Is it bad that I got a B in organic chemistry 1? my teacher was ridiculous and I was 27 points from an A and he wouldn't give it to me but I worked my ass off for this class :/. Also I was wondering if we need 3 quarters for dental schools? cause for my major I only need 1 and 2.

Thank You in advance
Are you being sarcastic? What you get is what you deserve..., people don't become dentists because they worked their ass off... people become dentists because of their professionalism, MATURITY and most important of all, their SKILLS and KNOWLEDGE.

You need 6-8 credits of orgo depending on the school you are applying to.

NRG

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
27 points?

must be a typo since you think you should have gotten a bump with 27 POINTS.

lol

so you got a B. move on. impress them in organic 2 and it'll look good

and from what ive seen, most schools need 2 semesters of organic. usually 1 and 2.

thats most US schools.

OP
P

predental89

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Take it easy bro hah I was just wondering how a B looks to dental schools..?

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Take it easy bro hah I was just wondering how a B looks to dental schools..?
does it matter? lets suppose it looks "bad"... will you give up on being a pre-dent and go on to some other major?

I am sure you know this, but professors (for the most part) tend to grade pre-med / pre-dental courses pretty harshly. And the reason is, they want to weed out the "idiots" from being health care professionals. I have seen this numerously, the difference between, say a 3.0 and a 4.0 in a pre-med type course is like a 83% vs a 90% (not that much, right? but to professional schools, its a huge deal).

27 points, even if the class had a total of 200 points (4 exams, with 50 pts each), thats ALOT of points missed. I'd be happy with a B, cause that looks like B performance to me.

Like the previous posters said, move on dude. 1 or 2 or 3 "bad" grades isn't going to shut you out of DS. Its about your OVERALL performance that matters the most (ie GPA and science GPA, keep those babies high)

OP
P

predental89

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
does it matter? lets suppose it looks "bad"... will you give up on being a pre-dent and go on to some other major?

I am sure you know this, but professors (for the most part) tend to grade pre-med / pre-dental courses pretty harshly. And the reason is, they want to weed out the "idiots" from being health care professionals. I have seen this numerously, the difference between, say a 3.0 and a 4.0 in a pre-med type course is like a 83% vs a 90% (not that much, right? but to professional schools, its a huge deal).

27 points, even if the class had a total of 200 points (4 exams, with 50 pts each), thats ALOT of points missed. I'd be happy with a B, cause that looks like B performance to me.

Like the previous posters said, move on dude. 1 or 2 or 3 "bad" grades isn't going to shut you out of DS. Its about your OVERALL performance that matters the most (ie GPA and science GPA, keep those babies high)

The Class was out of 1000 and the average out of the class was 551 points I got 638 so I beat the average by almost 100 (85 points) So idk I thought I should have at least received an A minus

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yeah just do better next term. Think of it this way - if you get one B for every two A's (only talking about science classes) assuming they're 4 credits you'll have a 3.67 sci gpa. This is above average. Ace all those general ed and your overall will be higher.

I wouldnt stress about a few B's as long as you're pulling the A's in the rest of your classes.

Alot of people here may not get where you're coming from due to their easier UG - but your class rank prob fell in the B range therefore you got a B. For those not familier with these types of classes you're outrunning the students next to you - not the normal standard 94 A, 90 A- etc.. That said 1 or 2 pts may have seperated you from a B+ or A-.

Last edited:

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
The Class was out of 1000 and the average out of the class was 551 points I got 638 so I beat the average by almost 100 (85 points) So idk I thought I should have at least received an A minus
Damn.... That is one weird grading system. You basically got a 63.8% in the class, but that equates to a B.

And your saying a 665 is an A right? Again, thats pretty wierd (and harsh) Basically....the difference between a 4.0 and 3.3 in this particular course was just 3% (63% vs 66%) lolz

OP
P

predental89

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Damn.... That is one weird grading system. You basically got a 63.8% in the class, but that equates to a B.

And your saying a 665 is an A right? Again, thats pretty wierd (and harsh) Basically....the difference between a 4.0 and 3.3 in this particular course was just 3% (63% vs 66%) lolz
I know huh? thats UCSD for you :/ haha

Aug 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
lol 27 points away.. sorry, but when I read that I was laughing at the thought of you getting bumped up a whole letter grade.

At my school you'd be a lucky dog to get bumped up if you were 1 point away from an A.

But yeah, like others said Orgo 2 would be wise to take since most schools require it.

OP
P

predental89

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
lol 27 points away.. sorry, but when I read that I was laughing at the thought of you getting bumped up a whole letter grade.

At my school you'd be a lucky dog to get bumped up if you were 1 point away from an A.

But yeah, like others said Orgo 2 would be wise to take since most schools require it.

....it was a typo haha oops I meant 7 points -_-

UBDent19

7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2010
Southeast
Status
Dentist
Got a C in second semester Orgo...3 December 1st acceptances (although I suspect it was the reason UCSF denied my app). Don't worry about it too much.