Advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackie91790

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am apply to PT school this fall, but I am afraid of not getting into any schools. I know to apply to a lot of schools, but I want to make sure I am choosing realistic ones. I am currently a student at Arcadia University and I will probably not make automatic admission requirements. :( I would like to apply to other schools in Pennsylvania or within driving distance. I am considering Widener, the University of Scranton, Sacred Heart, and Neumann University. I am worried about my GPA and will be taking 2 more classes the second summer session, hopefully increasing my GPA to a 3.14. If anyone has advice on where to apply or if I even have a chance it would be greatly appreciated!

Major: Health Administration
Overall GPA:3.33
Core PT GPA:3.02
GRE: taking in June
Observation hours: 300+ in Transitional Care and Rehab

Members don't see this ad.

It's tough to know what the admissions reps and program directors at any school are thinking. A few things about GPA: you can't change the past but you can work hard now! Concentrate on your summer classes. Be a model student and complete lots of observation hours in numerous clinical settings. Ask good questions and be helpful; then ask the PTs for recommendations to file. For some schools, a higher GRE will help balance a lower GPA. And look at the core pre-reqs for each college: if you don't have a B or better, consider re-taking the course.
As far as GRE, I would spend the money on a prep course. And remember that most schools and PTCAS will have an essay section, use it to sell yourself and to explain any GPA issues.
Hope that helps! Also, when you do apply, if you get rejected, make an appointment to get feedback from the school. I was rejected from UCF and the feedback session helped me a great deal. I'm thrilled to be attending Nova Southeastern now!

Thanks so much for your advice! GRE's were not a success due to money and other issues I cannot afford to take a prep course this summer. Unfortunately I got a 310 on verbal and 480 math, but I'm continuing to obtain tons of observation hours. I'm also taking abnormal psychology and A&P1 online this summer to hopefully increase my GPA to about 3.15. Do you think I have a chance??? There are so many different stories on here I'm not sure what to think!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, everyone has a different story. I think the best thing to do is to keep getting good grades. I got a 2.5 during my undergrad and just trying my hardest to improve so I can get into a program. I work as a PT Aide and I am also wondering if extra observation hours in a different setting will help. I think we just have to keep our heads up, and keep trying. Sounds cliche, but the truth.

GRE's were not a success due to money and other issues I cannot afford to take a prep course this summer.

Prepping for the GRE doesn't have to be expensive: buy a couple of GRE books and dedicate some time every day to study for the test. I think the key is to do it every day, 6 days a week. It worked well for me.

I would go to a used bookstore and pick up and GRE prep book or two and work through those and get some flashcards. I got mine for $12. Way cheaper than a prep course and if you are motivated, you can work through them and pick up your score.

I thought memorizing words would help me out for the GRE, but I saw about 3 of the "most used GRE words" on test day. Just get a kaplan or princeton review book, I found the test taking skills they teach you was the most helpful for me.

BTW, jackie, I know you want to stay in PA, but maybe expand you application destinations to like one state away at least.

I actually did use a Kaplan book and I think it helped a little. I would like to retake the GREs now that I know what to expect, but there are very few openings to schedule. I would also consider any state within reasonable driving distance.. Any suggestions for schools??

Jackie, just my opinion, I think your GPA is alright. You increase your pre-req up a little and youd be good. Check out the GPA sticky, up there:thumbup:, and check where some people got interviews with such as UMDNJ, thats pretty close right?

Yes, it is! Thanks! I really needed some reassurance that I'm not leading myself to failure.

GRE's were not a success due to money and other issues I cannot afford to take a prep course this summer.

The GRE ETS website has some pretty helpful information for each of the sections, and it's all free. There is a math skills pdf as well as sample questions for the verbal section. Also, and I found this the most helpful, you can look at the pool of essay prompts online for both AW questions. Granted, the list is really long, but if you just look through them and kinda brainstorm a response, you will hopefully save those few extra minutes when you take it again.

hope this was helpful :)

I actually did use a Kaplan book and I think it helped a little. I would like to retake the GREs now that I know what to expect, but there are very few openings to schedule. I would also consider any state within reasonable driving distance.. Any suggestions for schools??

If you retake the GRE after July 31, make sure the schools you're applying to will accept scores from the new GRE format. I say this since one of the schools I'm applying to will only accept scores from the current format.

I think Arcadia has a 1050 minimum GRE score, right?

Prepping for the GRE doesn't have to be expensive: buy a couple of GRE books and dedicate some time every day to study for the test. I think the key is to do it every day, 6 days a week. It worked well for me.

Yeah it shouldn't be expensive, I borrowed some books from friends and did a lot of similar GRE type problems from online sources. Studied for about a month for it every other day for 3-4 hours and scored a 420 Verbal and a 600 Quantitative, 3.5 analytical, not too impressive but I cracked the 1000 mark.

I got all my resources from the library when I was preparing for it.

Hey everyone! This is my first post here on the Student Doctor Network. I came across this thread and I have a lot of similar questions. First of all, here are my stats

Major
: Biological Sciences emphasis in Human health
at UC Merced
Overall GPA:2.70
Pre-req PT GPA:3.01 (including english composition)
GRE: 940 V:410 Q: 530 AW: still waiting
Observation hours: 300+ in 2 different outpatient locations and 30 hours in a SNF.

I had a pretty rough time in college hence my crappy GPAs but I REALLY want to apply PT school this summer. I am currently taking Medical Terminology and plan on retaking Chem 1, speech, and either microbiology or human development for the first time next semester. For spring spring semester I will be taking Chem 2, exercise physiology, and either microbiology or human development (whichever course i don't take in the fall of 2011).

My major question is: do you all think I have a chance at getting in to grad school or should i just wait until next year? I took the GREs this month and did poorly. I know most schools want applicants to take the old GRE before August 1 since they wont receive scores until a later date. I plan on retaking the GRE but it'll be the new one that most schools would rather applicants not take.

I'm also looking into applying to schools that don't require the GRE and with multiple admission dates.

Also, do any of you know where I can take an exercise physiology class in the bay area or online?

Thank you all so much in advance for all your help!